Starting to run some issues

Hi all

I have been trying to run aka jog and walk outside (used to treadmill) but have been having some issues such as shins hurting, getting winded faster, burning on thighs. Not sure if these are just because I'm overweight or if anyone has any suggestions on how I can prevent these?

Jordan

Replies

• Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    edited May 2016
    form, shoes, insoles, gradient, running surface are all variables that are going to come into play here.

FWIW most people tend to have a heavy foot print when starting to run after not having done it for years.

Probably would be better to get advice from an actual runner, but the basic stuff I have already wrote above. As far as you being winded, thats more than likely due to a lack of cardiovascular exercise. Do you smoke?

Buring on thighs is more or less same thing, quick build of lactic acid, and lack of conditioning within the legs.

The more weight you carry, generally these things will be worse.

If you have a gym membership you could start with lower impact cardiovascular exercises and build up the conditioning in your legs in as little as a few weeks. Atleast from there if you want to continue to run, the shin splints will be more of a problem for you than the overall burning within your legs.

Running shoes from what I understand are literally going to be the most important piece of this puzzle. If you have a store near you that specializes in running, or someone on here could point you in the direction of a website where you can find detailed information on shoes/socks, that will help significantly

• roninviiirs
    roninviiirs Posts: 8 Member
    If you've trained real hard lately perhaps your body needs some rest. If you are use to doing steady state cardio on a treadmill but all of a sudden are running outside, this is your body reacting to changes to your training. Running outside is definitely harder and has a higher impact on your joints, muscles, etc. You are also dealing with variations in elevations that you are not accustomed to compared to running on a flat soft treadmill. Also, we humans suck at estimating how fast we are running. Without that machine that conveniently sets your speed to 6.0 or whatever you run at, you may be going at a pace faster than you are use to. All of these things could lead to why you are sore and getting winded faster. Take a break, heal up, and get back to training at a level that your body will allow. Hope this helps and best of luck to you.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Good shoes, and bras (mostly for the ladies) are essentials.

Apart from that - run slower. I usually run outside and I find running on a treadmill feels like a whole different kind of exercise, so I suspect that applies in the other direction too.

You might also want to build up to running outside gradually - build in some walk breaks and gradually reduce them.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I have been trying to run aka jog and walk outside (used to treadmill) but have been having some issues such as shins hurting, getting winded faster, burning on thighs.

My first thought is that if you're winded, slow down a bit.

As far as shins are concerned, shoes being appropriate to your gait or worn out may be a factor. The other major contributor tends to be overstriding, a function of trying to run too fast. Your rate of mileage increase may also play in, so what distance are you running and how often?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Running outside is harder than on a treadmill so that's why you're struggling more.

Slow down/decrease your Distance a little, see if that helps
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    If you are winded, you are running too fast. If you can't run without being winded, you need to include some walking in your routine. You should be able to talk/sing while running.

For you aches and pains, the first thing I suggest (other than slowing down) is to get a good pair of shoes that are made for your feet. Go to a local running store (a specialty store, not a big sporting store or department store) and have them analyze your gait. You don't have to spend a fortune on fancy shoes, but you do need to have shoes that won't cause issues when you run.

Also, check out the Couch to 5K (C25K) program/app. It is a very popular way to get started running. Having a structured program can help keep you from overdoing it.

Good luck.
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 201 Member
    I have terrible shin splints but I find if I do a really good warm up that seems to help. I find the best warm up is either using a rowing machine or walking uphill.
    Good shoes are a definite must. I would definitely go to your local running store (as others have suggested) and try some on and get their advice. Most will allow a time frame that you can bring them back for exchange as long as you haven't worn them outside.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    I ran 4 miles on the treadmill this morning but have been having a hard time with two miles outdoors lately. There is certainly a difference. Work up to running outside, I had to and am still working on it. I have done some 3 mile runs outdoors but they are a struggle. Two things have helped me with shin splints, building up my legs from walking and jogging and I always stretch my shins before I run. I get on my knees and point my toes behind me then gradually lean back on my heels. Good luck, you can and will work up to outdoor running without that "I'm going to die" feeling! Oh, I'm 47, never was athletic and am down 40 pounds towards my goal so far!
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Running outside is different from treadmill running. When I first started running outside I got outta breath faster. Definitely look into getting fitted for shoes. That will help a lot, especially with shin splints. Try doing intervals. 2 min walking 3 min running. (You can change the numbers but keep it the same for your miles). Pretty soon you'll love running outside more than the treadmill!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited May 2016
    When I start a running regiment my shins, hips and ankles go through a training period. I will ease into it by running a couple times a week with short and quick strides (slow pace). Rolling out the calves and dynamic leg swings can help. I roll before and after.

Shoes are sooooo important. I learned this from a tennis match the other day. I bought some cheap Asics court shoes for back-ups on closeout. I experienced shin pain in the first set. Even with the Superfeet insoles! Get a proper fitting! (Note: I have been playing tennis for years with no problem until those #%* shoes)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    shins hurting
    The other major contributor tends to be overstriding

Yeah, are you doing heel strikes? That often leads to shin splints. If that's why, then it's a technique problem.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited May 2016
    shins hurting

Yeah, are you doing heel strikes? That often leads to shin splints. If that's why, then it's a technique problem.

And if you change your stride and blast your achilles to smithereens, then what? There is no 'right' way to run.
  • anarchyfab
    anarchyfab Posts: 4 Member
    Shoes are huge!! As stated.... I'm a big guy 285 and shoes make all the difference. Especially on the road/hard ground. It will help with what I was told are micro fractures in the bone. (Basically you body building itself to take the workouts and forces its not used to)
    But a difference in terrain no matter what will give me shin splints from the muscle "pump" effect so compression socks or ace bandages are what I use to help reduce the pressure on my lower legs..
    But get to a good shoe store..
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    shins hurting

Heel strike per se isn't the issue. Personally if I midfoot strike in heavily cusioned shoes I'll get shin pain...

The issues around overstriding are the rotational load on the lower leg, and the compressive effect as the leading leg acts as a brake every time it lands. There is no One True Way (tm).
  • jordanmeyer89
    jordanmeyer89 Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2016
    Thank you all for advice. I'm gonna try and get some good shoes. I have issues shopping for them usually since my foot is wide so I've worn anything from a 12EEEE to a 14D depending on brand. I try to stay at 13EE just because much more variety than 14 and usually when I'm in a 12 my toes are pushing through the front when running.

Does anyone have tips on how they manage their pace? I typically go and then get tired and walk and cycle that a few times until I end up walking the rest.