Help i cant stop drinking diet pepsi!

Options
Just wondering if anyone else has this problem? And what did you do about it

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Is this a challenge? I drink Coke Zero instead.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You could ask Christopher Hitchens, doesn't he have all the answers to all your questions...?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Mine was Diet Dr Pepper. I don't remember anything particular about 'doing' to put an end to it. I just got a little older, a little poorer, and didn't want to spend the money.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i switched from regular fizzy drinks to diet. coke zero is my choice, diet coke or sprite after
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    ?? Is it a problem ??

Maybe the sodium content, but it is better then some alternatives IMHO ??
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi does not have a lot of sodium in it. Usually 30mg per can. When will that myth die!!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I started making my own diet soda. Not actually because I wanted to stop drinking Pepsi Max, but because I enjoy many flavors that nobody makes, least of all in diet. Still have Pepsi Max or Diet Mt. Dew when traveling and the like.
  • RredSonja
    RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have experience with this.
    IMHO any kind of soda isn't worth the health drawbacks (although I don't know anything about make-your-own-soda). But I loved it so much, I was downing 9 or 10 diet 7-ups a day. I tried cutting down, and substituting tea and the like, but after a while I always went right back to drinking soda all day.
    I kicked finally by going cold turkey. First I got rid of all the soda in the house, then everywhere it had been, I filled with cans of V8 and bottled water. I got seriously into tea. There is always a jug of cold brewed herbal tea in the fridge. It wasn't fun at first but after a couple days I was fine. I think a lot of the time when people try to quit soda, they fail because they don't make the effort to replace it in their habits.
  • 2strive4fitness
    2strive4fitness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had to pretty much eliminate it cold turkey! It is so addicting for me. I very occasionally have a glass, but I have to be very careful otherwise I will slip right back into the daily habit. I started drinking unsweetened green tea. Good luck to you.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    The only reason I stopped drinking diet coke was that having caffeine in the afternoon sometimes made it difficult to wind down and go to sleep when I wanted to. Now I drink caffeine free diet sodas and I don't have that problem anymore. I also switched to store brand because I disliked spending that much money on the name brand sodas. When I feel like I'm overdoing it and going through them too fast, I will make myself drink a cup or two of water in between sodas.
  • tltmom
    tltmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I drank 5-6 24 oz bottles of Diet Coke per day. For 10 or so years. This is just my opinion, but I think all that nutrasweet was contributing to migraines and making me crave sweets. I tried many times to go cold turkey, but I just couldn't do it. I eliminated one Diet Coke per week, substituting black coffee, green tea, or mineral water for it if plain water didn't sound good. It took about two months to get away from it. Now I can have one occasionally without falling off the wagon. And honestly, it really doesn't taste very good any more.
    My migraines are almost completely gone, and my sweets cravings are better.
    Also, I haven't added it up yet, but I'm probably saving a lot of money by not buying any more Diet Coke.
    Good luck!
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Is it actually a problem or do you just think it is because people say not to drink diet soda? If you like it, can afford it, and it doesn't impede your health in any way, go ahead and drink it. If you really want to quit, find a substitute. If you've got money, Zevia is a more "natural" diet soda however that's defined. Otherwise, start learning to like coffee, tea, or water.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any studies that conclusively prove diet soda is bad for your health. If you are feeling ok I don't see that you are hurting yourself.
    For myself I have cut back and gone to ice water with lemon in it because I got kind of a hangover feeling from drinking diet soda. I still drink diet soda, but in far lower amounts. It didn't used to bother me though.
    If you aren't feeling ill effects keep on drinking it. Water does cost less though, if that is a concern.
  • moonchildisme
    moonchildisme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking a diet pepsi right now...I figure I have changed so much in my life I am NOT going to give up my diet pepsi. Now without the aspartame I figure its all good!
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking so much it's affecting your sleep patterns, try to quit after dinner and switch to water. Then, if you want to drink less of it, swap out one bottle of water for one can of soda, once per week. Rinse and repeat until you're at a level where you feel like you're in control again.
  • Smokitopaz56
    Smokitopaz56 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sure you could stop...if you want to. It's like quitting smoking or any other bad habit. Just don't DO it. I don't mean that to be as harsh as it sounds, but it is basically true, for ALL of us. It may make you crazy to have to reteach yourself to make other choices instead of the pop, but if you push through it, you'll get there. I know if I buy things, I will eat or drink them. Pop, sweets, snacks, you name it. So I just don't buy them, when I am trying to make a change. Right now I am battling bedtime snacking because my favorite thing is to lay in bed, reading, and snacking, before I go to sleep. So, no snacks in the house for me. I don't need to tell you how hard it is to not give in, jump outta bed and go grab something, ANYthing to snack on. How stupid do I feel for laying in bed jonesing for a snack, unable to sleep!! So, trying healthier alternatives. Last night it was an apple and a Fiber One bar. I guess that beats a half bag of Cheetos, eh? What I am trying to say is substitute things! If it is the fizzy bubbliness you like in your drink, try flavored sparkling waters. Watch, because some are high in sugars and sodium like pop. Try ice cold water. Find something that mimics what you like about the Pepsi, but will allow you to drink less of it or give it up. You can do it. Prepare for headaches, and other possible withdrawl things that will make you feel out of sorts by making sure you drink lots of water, have a caffeine substitute available such as coffee, and give yourself a break!
  • derek1237654
    derek1237654 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone those are good suggestions. The only reason i want to quit is because of my teeth. The acid in the pop has eroded my teeth to the point i am going to need crowns on every single tooth soon. Its already too late my dentist says.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Crowns on every tooth? How quickly did that happen (how long since you last saw your hygienist?)
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Stop buying it......
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Step one.

Understand that you CAN stop. You just CHOOSE not to.