thighs

Hi, has anybody got any good tips on loosing weight on thighs? I have big thighs to start with but that is were most my weight goes and doing work outs I find it hard and I don't want to build all that flab into muscle????
Thanks
Xxx

Replies

• sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    You can't really spot lose, the fat comes off from all over. The good news is, flab doesn't turn into muscle, it's two different things. You probably still want to exercise those legs though so you minimize the loose skin when the fat shrinks away. Good luck!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    I've heard running is really good for this. I have large thighs too. :smile: My naturopath was pretty confident that a paleo-esque diet (high veggie and protein, minimal carbs from quinoa and brown rice only), would help with this. Essentially, the idea is that carbs (even good ones) can be converted into sugars, and this issue is apparently common in people with larger hips. That's the only place I want to slim down!! >:( Haha
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Mercy if I could spot reduce thighs would be high on the list. So you want a nice stomach covers the issue of spot-reducing, which is to say, you can't.
    Also, you won't build flab into muscle, that's not how it works as they're two different things. Fat can go away, and muscle can grow, but unless you become some super weight lifter in competition, you won't have to worry about thunder thighs if your body fat goes down. You won't look bulky, there are lots of threads on that too if you do a search. :smiley:
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I have really big thighs in relation to everywhere else on my body. The only thing you can really do is keep your deficit going...get whatever weight (and fat that goes along for the ride) you need to off. Besides that, I really would consider incorporating some full body strength training into your routine. That means legs too! You absolutely will not get muscly. I've been weight training for going on a year now, and while my legs are still on the big side, they're slowly shrinking....while strength training, doing a little cardio, and dropping 40lbs through a deficit. I haven't built muscle, but what the weights have done is make my legs a lot more firm, which isn't a bad thing when we're talking "jiggle"!

You can get your legs to shrink, but it takes a lot of time, work, and patience.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    You cannot spot reduce. Just keep losing. The fat will come off wherever it feels like it, unfortunately. I know for myself, my butt and legs will be the last to go. I'm a large/extra large on the bottom and a medium on the top already!
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Your thighs will probably always be the biggest part of you, but they don't have to look bad. Lose weight and fat will eventually come off your thighs.

I kind of resigned myself to never looking "thin" but rather looking fit. I have drastically thinner legs, but they're more muscular looking than ever, even eating at a deficit and only strength training them once a week.
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    What the others have said. Plus this: you can change how defined they are, which helps them look better even when they're heavy. Strength training and yoga have changed the shape of my thighs, even before I started losing weight. Triangle pose and warrior pose in particular.
  • Labyrinthine93
    Labyrinthine93 Posts: 46 Member
    If I had a nickle every time I've heard people say their thighs/calves/shoulders are too big...
    Have you measured your thighs?
    Most people that say these things have average measurements, they just think their body parts look bigger than they really are.
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Steph_135 wrote: »
    .....My naturopath was pretty confident that a paleo-esque diet (high veggie and protein, minimal carbs from quinoa and brown rice only), would help with this. Essentially, the idea is that carbs (even good ones) can be converted into sugars, and this issue is apparently common in people with larger hips. That's the only place I want to slim down!! >:( Haha

All carbs are converted into sugars regardless of whether you have larger hips. Its a natural process your body goes through to extract glycogen from carbs which is stored as energy in muscle cells. Having larger hips has absolutely nothing to do with this process. If you are eating at a calorie surplus your body will store the excess calories as fat and it will distribute that fat wherever it feels like. Most women have a predisposition for fat storage on their thighs. its just the way it is. It has nothing to do with carbs.
  • gemxhx
    gemxhx Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks peeps, was hoping for a mirical to get rid of my thunder thighs but looks like I'm just going to work hard ha ha thanks people x