Failing

Options
I'm really struggling with dedicating myself to weight loss. I know I need to eat better, exercise, and sleep. I just struggle to motivate myself to do it. I work 70 hours a week, 15 of those hours are spent driving. I eat fast food almost every day because I work so far from home. I get home at 5am, sleep until noon, then have to get up and go to work. I don't know how to fit a healthy lifestyle into the life I'm currently living. Any and all support and advice is welcome! I could also use sown friends to hold me accountable

Replies

• acrynne
    acrynne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You can do this. I work a ton too.... and for a long time, that was my reason for not getting up and exercising, not eating healthy, and in general not taking care of myself. I'm going to assume getting a different job isn't an option. So, instead let's focus on what you can do!
    Find food you like that you can take with you to work- even if it means having a little cooler in your car. Is there a bar that you like that you can sub for lunch? Can you dedicate yourself to always having water in your car? Fruit?
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Ok, start small.

What changes at the fast food drive through can you make? Order a kid's meal? A salad? Not sugary drinks? I have found that with the calorie listings right there on the drive through, I can eat anywhere and still be in deficit. It's not what you're eating, it's the volume of calories added up.

I don't know how you're managing with that much driving and sleep, but I hope you find some kind of practical solution, because it sounds miserable.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Look at your life as a whole right now, are you going to be able to sustain this lifestyle for the next 10 years? Not just trying to lose weight but your job, the drive, the stress? You need to prioritize YOU, your health, your lifestyle.
    Take it one step at a time, you can pack a lunch just as much as you can go through a drive through. You can make as many excuses as you want about time etc, but there are people that make it work. Take a breath and make a plan.
  • rebeccafigini
    rebeccafigini Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ive started meal prepping for a week at a time which helps me avoid fast food. It sounds like a lot of work but honestly it isnt. I love using a slow cooker for this, cuz I can leave it to cook while I'm at work. I make a big batch of whatever I want to eat that week, then freeze lunch- sized portions to grab and go
  • sinnybri
    sinnybri Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Why would you need to eat fast food?? It's quicker, cheaper and more convenient to bring a healthy lunch with you or pop into a shop and pick something healthy up. You need to be honest with yourself, is fast food really your only option?
  • shanna_wainwright
    shanna_wainwright Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm a grazer- so try packing small "snacks" for the road vs stopping for a fast food meal. My typical lunch is usually: baby carrots, an apple or banana, some Triscut Thin Crisps, a cheese stick and maybe a 1/2 bottle of Protien Kefir. I usually clock in at around 350 (ish) calories. Whole grains, fiber, protein and a full serving of fruits and veggies. I eat this usually over the course of several hours while I'm working- I just plop it on my desk with a quart of water and I pick while I'm working- this approach could totally work for the car.

My husband bought a mini cooler that plugs into his lighter for his work van. He keeps drinks and his lunch in that and it stays fresh all day.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    sjotto92 wrote: »
    I eat fast food almost every day because I work so far from home.

Pack your lunch, and eat nothing at work that you haven't prepared yourself. Problem solved.

• sjotto92
    sjotto92 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I manage a late night cookie delivery business, so I have weird hours. I was recently promoted so I'll be traveling around the country opening new stores and supporting stores that are having issues. I'm going to try meal prepping and taking things with me to work. Usually when I have a chance to eat it's before work or after work, it's usually too busy to eat during my 10-12 hour shift, but I'll try to make time to eat small snacks. Any suggestions for exercises I can do at work?
  • jennyburris
    jennyburris Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think you've got the right idea and direction. A big obstacle to overcome is habit. You have habits that involve getting fast food instead of preparing or grabbing something healthy.
    How much do you eat while driving? If it's a lot, then salads won't work...just not practical. I think the keys are:
    1.make small changes that you can stick with; keep track of them and reward yourself when you do well (maybe replace one unhealthy option for a healthier choice each week and then keep adding to it as you go)
    2.find healthy food that you like and will want again and again
    3.sleep, sleep, sleep (your brain essentially cleans itself when you sleep -- there's a good TED talk on this)
    4.there is a lot of data that has been published on night work schedules...it's not encouraging; you can google all the bad effects it has on your hormones
    5.always keep trying; we all get discouraged-- our bodies are designed to fight starvation, not obesity

Good luck and go slow.
  • shanna_wainwright
    shanna_wainwright Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    sjotto92 wrote: »
    I manage a late night cookie delivery business, so I have weird hours. I was recently promoted so I'll be traveling around the country opening new stores and supporting stores that are having issues. I'm going to try meal prepping and taking things with me to work. Usually when I have a chance to eat it's before work or after work, it's usually too busy to eat during my 10-12 hour shift, but I'll try to make time to eat small snacks. Any suggestions for exercises I can do at work?

I sit at my desk all day- so I added these notes to my laptop to help me move more through out the day.

1 says: 40 jumping jacks, 30 crunches, 20 squats, 10 push ups. I do that every break.

2nd has a list of things I can do during long conference calls when I'd normally eat crap.
    Arm circles, plié squats, calf raises, lunges, leg lifts.

Before you walk into a store do a lap outside the building.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Ok, start small.

What changes at the fast food drive through can you make? Order a kid's meal? A salad? Not sugary drinks? I have found that with the calorie listings right there on the drive through, I can eat anywhere and still be in deficit. It's not what you're eating, it's the volume of calories added up.

I don't know how you're managing with that much driving and sleep, but I hope you find some kind of practical solution, because it sounds miserable.

This^

You can lose weight while eating fast food. This will get a bit boring after a time, all the lower calorie options will start to look the same.

But, you can add your own things in too. Use your own time frame, it doesn't have to be all at once.