Post workout meal after going over calories?

Options
Hello,
I have my calories set so I'll lose the weight I want to lose, but today I went over

Replies

• CamerasandCrossbones
    CamerasandCrossbones Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Okay so my phone is being weird and I can't see if any of what I wrote actually posted. I'm wondering if I should eat a post workout snack after an intense workout, even if I went over my calorie goal today
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Post-workout snacks are not mandatory or even necessary. I know there are a lot of rumors in the world of weight loss and fitness that you should have a snack both before and after a workout, but that's really not true. You're not going to lose your progress by not having a snack or protein shake after a workout. In fact, since you're already over goal, you could be undoing all your hard work depending on how big the snack is. I would say you should eat only if you're hungry, especially if you're not entering your exercise on MFP and/or eating some of your exercise calories back.
  • CamerasandCrossbones
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I was under the impression that having a snack after a workout would help your body recover, and that protein especially would be beneficial to retaining muscle. Is there truth to that?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    daleeb7 wrote: »
    Thanks for your response. I was under the impression that having a snack after a workout would help your body recover, and that protein especially would be beneficial to retaining muscle. Is there truth to that?

If you're a professional body builder, maybe...
  • CamerasandCrossbones
    Options
    I'm not a professional, but I do want to keep my muscle.
  • xAFBx
    xAFBx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tend to be over/under on calories sometimes too, either because of a cheat day or because I wasn't hungry enough to choke down all of my calories. Whatever the case I often end up adding the whole week's calories up and as long as the week's average is within my goals all is good!
  • CamerasandCrossbones
    Options
    Thanks, that's a good idea because I too am often under, but occasionally go over. It seems like my appetite is always unpredictable
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    You can definitely eat up to maintenance calories for today, but it isn't that necessary.
  • gataman3000
    gataman3000 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Its not as black and white as it seems, I've seen people keep/gain muscle from having a post workout mix of protein/carbs. Try it and see if it works for your body because it does work for others.
  • CamerasandCrossbones
    Options
    Thanks everyone, y'all are awesome. Any advice is helpful. I think I'll start skipping the post workout snack to cut some calories and if I get too exhausted or sore (or notice my body being negatively affected) I'll try adding it back in.