Having trouble with calories and attitude

Options
Hi there everyone. I am having trouble with what my calorie level should be. I let mfp give the recomendations and I followed what it said, but the girls I work with say I have my calories level too high. I'm not sure what to do.

Im also just getting back on track here, cause I have had a few set backs.

The other thing I have noticed is that I get very crabby and cranky if I dont eat regularly, with snacks between meals. I've been tested recently for diabetes and I don't have it. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions would be great. Thank you

my fitness level is lightly active
my weight is 230
my goal is 1 lb a week
my workout is set at 4 a week for 30 min

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It depends on the speed of weight loss you want, and whether you want it to be a lifestyle change, or a quick fix. Do you work with people that diet a lot? go on fad diets, put weight back on again? Or border-line eating disorders?

MFP seems pretty spot on for me. It's set at 1lb a week loss, and I've been losing 1lb a week, eating back my exercise cals (2/3rds of them only though because I dont have a heart rate monitor and I think the database here overestimates).
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have issues with hunger, especially at the beginning. I mean, if your body is used to a certain number of calories, things are going to be frustrating and uncomfortable when you drop the calories. What I do is separate everything into three meals and three snacks. I end up eating every two to three hours, and I never get hungry to the point of crabbiness. Spacing out what you eat and eating smaller amounts at each time usually helps with that.

Also, the girls that you work with don't know your body. It might sound like too much because most people are used to looking at "dieting" as a set method that should be universally applied to everyone in the world. If your calorie count seems high to you, try it out for a week or two, see what your loss looks like, and then adjust it as necessary. This isn't an exact science.

Best of luck on your journey. =)
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Edit: I don't know why my response originally double posted.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    As far as your calories being too high, what did you set your activity level to? And are you getting crabby because you are being so strict on yourself? I cheat almost daily because I so rigorously watch my calories that I have enough room in my diet for a couple small (1-2 pieces 16-32 cals) of dark chocolate. My wife gets moody if she doesn't get some small cheat snack too.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on the rate you want to lose the weight at. I have mine set for 2lbs a week. I told my girlfriend what I was allowed to eat in calories and she adamently believes I should be eating no more than 1200 a day if I want to lose weight. I disagree with her and so far, its working for me and I have been steadily losing. Every person is different.
  • lynnruiz81
    lynnruiz81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try eating every 2-3hrs eat your breakfast (make sure it has protein and can keep you full) eat 2-3hrs later a snack then again lunch and so on.........eat small meals regularly will keep you full and less cranky. As for your calories everyones different dont go by what your cowkers or friends say if thats what MFP told you then go by that or ask your dr. Also depends on how much you wkout........make sure you eat enough you dont want to go into starvation mode

Good luck =)
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I seem to be the worst on the weekend as far as being cranky. lol I actually spent a lot of the weeknd in tears just because everything seemed to be a crisis for me.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone. I am having trouble with what my calorie level should be. I let mfp give the recomendations and I followed what it said, but the girls I work with say I have my calories level too high. I'm not sure what to do.

The girls at work aren't certified nutritionists, right? Don't listen to them. More information is needed before we can offer advice. For example, what is your current weight and goal weight? What is your current BMI? What did you use as your activity/lifestyle setting (sedentary, light active, etc.)? What did you use as your weekly weight loss goal (lose 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, or 2.0lbs.)?

Please read the "guide to calorie deficits" link in my signature. It will help you a great deal.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I would like to know the answer to this too. People have recommended to me to eat 1200 calories per day or more, although I get full easily on around 800 calories. I have lost 5.5 pounds in around 2 weeks now...I'm not sure if I had upped my calories I would have lost more though...

NOTE: I have been eating around 1200 calories, many days by force. The past couple days, I only ate 600-800 calories per day though.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    The calories set 1400 daily have been working for me. I like others here zig/zag the net calories though. I do it because I have more eat out/drink wine opportunities on the weekends. So I eat less then my net goal during the week and slightly more on weekend nights. It balances to an average of 1400 daily.

I chose 1lb loss a week but am into my 2nd month and doing good.

And for the cravings.. I still get hungry but my choice is usually a protein snack (bite of tuna, turkey breast, hard boiled egg). Anything bready or sweet tasting just makes me hungrier personally.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    My activity level is active because im always going at work and rarely sit down. My goal is set at a 1lb a week, which is what myf recommened. I'm really trying to be good and not to strict but maybe i am. I seem to be the worst on the weekend as far as being cranky. lol I actually spent a lot of the weeknd in tears just because everything seemed to be a crisis for me.

Keep in mind that for a nurse it is considered light activity and they are always on the go.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Oh, one more thing. I should point out that a major reason you want to keep those calories in an acceptable range is so that your protein intake is suffcient to not only built muscle, but just to keep it. The last thing anyone wants to do, male or female, is lose weight drastically because a big portion of it will be muscle and you will have supressed your metabolic rate. You'll eventually cave in to hunger and when you gain weight back, you won't get your muscle back, just more fat.
  • blm625
    blm625 Posts: 33
    Options
    My activity level is active because im always going at work and rarely sit down. My goal is set at a 1lb a week, which is what myf recommened. I'm really trying to be good and not to strict but maybe i am. I seem to be the worst on the weekend as far as being cranky. lol I actually spent a lot of the weeknd in tears just because everything seemed to be a crisis for me.

personally I have used food to cope with things in the pass (Stress, anger, really any type of emotion) would that have anything to do with it? maybe you just need some time to adjust or find exercise to deal with stress or relax.. I don't know you so I have no clue if that would be the case... but that is what happend to me.

Also Like every one else says, space out your meals eat every two-three hours that helps!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I get nasty when I don't eat...that's why I pack food around with me now..since being on MFP I got use to eating 5 times a day, and when I don't, I make really poor choices and I eat way to much...it's ok to be cranky, this isn't easy. I'm here for ya my friend.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    To avoid the shakes (which are most likely low blood sugar) and never eat sugar (even fruit) alone. If you have fruit for a snack, have a piece of cheese or some peanut butter with it. Protein and fat will help maintain blood sugar levels. Sugar, especially alone will cause it to spike and then fall. I've struggled with blood sugar issues my entire life.