KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thanks.- I will definitally look into it more
  • KetoLady86
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @bbc1986 Is the pic in your profile current? You look gorgeous & NOT overweight. What is your current weight/height?

Thank you!! Yes it's current..I'm 5'2. 188Lbs...i carry my weight really well...but I would rather shed it. Thanks again!!
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Hang in there .You are doing great and you look awesome
  • KetoLady86
    Options
    Hang in there .You are doing great and you look awesome

Thank you
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Your food diary scares me @bbc1986
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    You've had some solid advice already.

Those scales can be out by +/- 8% so don't pay too much attention to those. Track weight and measurement consistently (same time of week/day etc.) and it'll tell you a lot of what you need to know.

Not losing muscle while you loose weight should be a priority for anyone and the only way to make sure you don't loose too much is a small deficit (don't excessively under eat), slow gradual weight loss, eating high protein and strength training.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP are you eating very low calories?? According to your diary you do. I hope not. :/
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I hope your logging is really inaccurate. If not, well...

You need to eat more. The amount you are eating is not enough to get adequate nutrition and over time will start to cause things like hair loss/brittle nails/other signs of malnutrition.
    Also having to large of a deficit will result in lean body mass loss as well as fat. Your lean body mass consists of bones, muscle, organs and well anything that isn't fat. Your body can only burn so many calories from fat a day (if I remember it's like 30 calories per lb of body fat). After that point your body has to start using it's lean body mass for fuel. This will result in weight loss (typically more than the 1% of Bodyweight or 2 lb per week loss recommendations), but body fat % staying the same or getting higher.

If you want to burn mostly fat:
    • Pick a reasonable rate of loss and eat your calories *
    • Eat a decent amount of protein (typical recommendation is 0.8 grams per pound body weight)
    • Do strength training of some sort

Reasonable rates of loss:
    • No more than 1% of your body weight per week (1.8 lbs based on what you said your current weight is)
    • 0.5 lbs loss per week if you have less than 25 lbs to lose
    • 1 lb per week if you you have 25-50 lbs to lose
    • 1.5 lb per week if you have 50-75 lbs to lose
    • 2 lb per week if you have 75 + lbs to lose

I also recommend using a food scale to weigh out your portion sizes. This will provide more accurate of account of the calories you are consuming.
  • KetoLady86
    Options
    I am doing the ketogenic diet
  • KetoLady86
    Options
    It makes me not hungry, and I am full of energy and feel great.
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    BBC1986 wrote: »
    I am doing the ketogenic diet

So your food diary is accurate? Friday you ate 774 cals, Saturday 374?
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I have a scale that does it

No, it doesn't. Seriously - those things literally don't work.

Really? I was told its very accurate...I hope its not, I feel like I'm working towards nothing

There's no way a scale can determine your percentage of body fat. I've lost fat, and put on some muscle. Photos prove it. My scale says I have a higher body fat now. BS.

You tell me. Is my scale right, or am I right?
    ns605oep3dcs.jpg

Great series of shots showing your progress. Should be a model approach to record success. And I agree, body fat scales are a marketing gimmick.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    OP= if your food diary is that low you need to eat more food. you should never eat below 1200 calories unless under a drs care(most are people who have a lot to lose). you may feel good now but you will eventually burn out and start having issues with health down the road.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters that tell you to eat more if your diary is accurate. I'm the same height and a higher weight (5'2", 192ish) -- and even if I do nearly nothing all day, I can lose (albiet slowly) at 1200 calories per day. (I would go nuts, though, so I do moderate exercise five days a week so that I can eat between 1700 to 1900 per day while losing.)

There's no reason for you to be eating that low, even on a ketogenic diet. It's not good for your long-term health, even if you feel okay in the short term.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I think I should just stick with the normal scale then...thank all of y'all :D

Track measurements using a tape measure at various points and keep progress photos perhaps.
    There's likely going to be times when the weight on your bathroom scale doesn't tell the whole story.

My biggest regret is not taking my measurements in the beginning.
    I had to safety pin the waist of my pants the other day so they would stay up, so that confirms my first inch lost. :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Doesn't change the fact that your not eating enough to meet nutritional needs. You haven't been doing it long, but keep this in mind the side effects of malnutrition often don't show up until the damage is done (some of which can not be reversed).
  • SamanthaDodson
    SamanthaDodson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are a few things that can cause this, first your measuring method. Yes there are some scales that are accurate at this but they are usually the ones with both a hand set AND the foot scale. Always remember unless you are in a doctor's office the one's you get in the store are for reference only. Secondly, there is a serious issue with the possiblity that your body is going into a famine mode (starving). If this is the case it will chomp down on anything it views as nutritionally beneficial. That might be fat or it might be muscle. The body doesn't differentiate when it's hungry...think hungry sharks. There is a fine balancing line between eating enough and not eating enough. I've been dealing with this myself and it sucks, but be sure you aren't starving yourself. The more activity you do the more you need to eat. Ketogenic or not, caloric volume matters. Look at your macros.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

You do realize eating that low you will lose more muscle then fat......basically you will be skinny fat!! Plus health issues, like losing hair, brittle nails, etc.

OP if you don't think this is a problem I suggest seeking help, your heading into a eating disorder!!
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Trust the daily calories suggested by MFP and don't be in a rush to lose weight. You can eat whatever types of foods that you like, just trust the plan and eat the prescribed calories. It works.
  • KetoLady86
    Options
    Trust the daily calories suggested by MFP and don't be in a rush to lose weight. You can eat whatever types of foods that you like, just trust the plan and eat the prescribed calories. It works.

Thanks