Too Much Protein?

Options
If I stay within my cals, carbs, fat and sodium, should I feel badly about going over in protein? Will that slow down my weight loss, or do you feel MFP puts our protein limits a little too low? Thoughts?

Replies

• Lucianna_D
    Lucianna_D Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am always over my protein I'm not sure if its a bad thing, but for the past two week my protein intake has double only because I have started drinking protein shakes & my body is getting extremely leaner.. :)
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    Perfectly fine, MFP sets Protein low by default.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing wrong with going over on protien. In fact, if you are strength training it's even encouraged. Mine is always over by at least 30 per day.
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Not at all, eat as much protein as you like.

Protein is the only macronutrient that is near impossible to turn into fat. The only way to do that is to create pathways for that to happen with an extreme intake of carbohydrates.

Don't worry about going over proteins, what so ever.

I had 400g yesterday :P
  • spareparts79
    spareparts79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been over my protien everyday since I started MFP 5 weeks ago. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • JoniKim
    JoniKim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your body has to work harder to metabolize Protein, so not necessarily a bad thing! Helps burn more calories in the long run!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I see from your diary that your daily protein target is about 50 g. Many people aim for their ideal body weight in lbs as a protein target to hit - I try to get 100 g in, though I rarely reach that high. But no, your 50g is low, don't worry about going over.

If you want to alter your macro-nutrient make up (carbs, fat, protein) you can do that under custom settings.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Here is a blog you might find helpful to understand better about protein:

http://bankshealth.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/a-primer-on-protein/

Here is a partial quote from the blog:
    "Over the last 20 or so years, there’s been a large push to increase protein intake, especially among high intensity athletes (body building, strength related sports, weight lifting), but in most industrialized nations, protein consumption is well within requirements to maintain optimal health. Most nutrition organizations recommend approximately between 1 and 2 grams per kilogram of protein (about .4 to .9 grams per pound)."...
  • mardavlais
    mardavlais Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've increased my protein significantly per the advice of my trainer (I'm also *over* MFP suggested amount). I've also substituted added sugar for natural sugar and replaced simple carbs with complex carbs... since I've started making changes in my diet, I've dropped 4 lbs. Never thought that eating things like eggs and good fat would cause me to lose weight, but that's what the scale is showing.
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've increased my protein significantly per the advice of my trainer (I'm also *over* MFP suggested amount). I've also substituted added sugar for natural sugar and replaced simple carbs with complex carbs... since I've started making changes in my diet, I've dropped 4 lbs. Never thought that eating things like eggs and good fat would cause me to lose weight, but that's what the scale is showing.

Yep, (good) Fats and Proteins are the best part of a diet.
  • healthymomwannabe
    healthymomwannabe Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I had 400g yesterday :P

FOUR hundred??!? Yowzers, I didn't know that was even possible!! Ooh, hubby will be happy to hear we can have meat for every meal - ha! Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have way over the MPF protein settings, and I, like others have said, have also set my levels accordingly, so I'm heavier on protein. I'm doing Dukan (basically Atkins but lower fat encouraged than higher) and am still trying to learn about fat ratios and stuff. But it's my fat that's over daily - I'm not overly worried as loads of people are saying that's good with high protein, and my sugar's low. So don't you worry about the protein, unless you've got kidney problems and/or you don't hydrate well enough.

And if anyone has any advice re fat/protein, it'd be gratefully received (my diary's open)
  • asunshinec
    asunshinec Posts: 74
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic! I've been worried about the same thing - I've been trying to limit my protein intake to what MFP recommends, but I just can't seem to do it - and I've cut WAY back. In the past, I've found the most success with a lower carb diet, and it's hard for me to give up the lean proteins when I've seen what they've done for me before. So, I've managed to stay within my calorie range, but my protein has been over every day. I'd say, no worries! =)