I have a question about diet pills..............

Options
OK, as for fly by night diet pills, I don't trust them...

But I want to adsk my doctor about the phintrimine?? Or how eve you spell it.

I have never heard anything bad about it and I heard it was a good boost for weight loss to get started....

There are a few girls I work with that are really into it and loosing all kinds of weight with diet and exercise.

Any takers on advise??

Replies

• elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

I have never heard anything bad about it and I heard it was a good boost for weight loss to get started....

There are a few girls I work with that are really into it and loosing all kinds of weight with diet and exercise.

Any takers on advise??
  • creddish
    Options
    I've been on and off them several times. They really do curve your appetite. Nothing sounds good. If you take them, start with 1/2 a pill and don't take after lunch. I have some now, but I only take then when I want to really deep clean my house or paint:laugh: ! They really do work. It's like legal speed! Be careful though, some people it makes their heartbeat really fast. They make me irritable, so if you feel funny it's normal and be close to a restroom 30 min to 1 hr after you take it. Most importantly, drink lots of water! You will be thirsty all day long. Good Luck!
    118961.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    well, I have taken over the counter diet pills and they make my heart race and make me feel really jittery, so I don't mess with things like diet pills. but that is just for me, I am sure that everyone is different in the way that their body handles them. :drinker:, and I don't plan on ever using meds to lose weight, because they don't teach you how to eat healthy or maintain a healthy life style.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    It isn't like speed, it is speed.

The 5 pounds you have lost is a great motivator to losing 5 more!! You are doing GREAT!!! Keep up the good work.

Diet pills only create a crutch. You cant take them forever and they you dont teach you a new way of eating and living.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

:flowerforyou:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I taught high school biology and my team teacher explained it this way.
    Crack is a good way to lose weight. It speeds up your metabolism and makes you forget about eating. However it will kill you. Diet pills work on the same level as crack. They will speed up your metabolism and make you think you are superwoman but if you continue to take them they will kill you.
  • noklue2
    noklue2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't do it. I have taken them before and yeah i lost about 15 lbs but it came right back when i stoped taking them. The gave me energy which i loved, but so will a diet soda!
    I think you should show your friends at work how to loose weight the healthy way!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I taught high school biology and my team teacher explained it this way.
    Crack is a good way to lose weight. It speeds up your metabolism and makes you forget about eating. However it will kill you. Diet pills work on the same level as crack. They will speed up your metabolism and make you think you are superwoman but if you continue to take them they will kill you.

Hey yea! There ya go...buy yourself some crack and go right past the middle man, the doc, oh sure it's illegal but you've seen the pictures of the girls after only a couple monthes...they have no teeth (that's one way to lose weight) they have scabs all over their body, the are down to less than 100 lbs., they are very very sick looking individuals..they stay up for days on end. They have tons of energy when they are high, then they crash for days..and it ain't a pretty site!

Diet pills...dang every other day a post on diet pills, what happened to changing our eating habits and making this a lifelong journey? Elliot, of all ppl you've been around awhile...I know you're desperate to lose weight but don't you want to lose weight be proud of yourself as you change you habits and KEEP the weight off so you don't have to start all over again, and then again and then again.

I know you want a quick fix I see many a post from you asking for quick solutions. Nothing worth having of any value comes easy.

If you want to deep clean your house as someone shared and never have an appetite, go for the pills. But really what will they do for you that's lasting? How about eating 5-6 mini meals a day? I never get hungry I'm not a meth addict or taking any diet pills and have TONS of energy from working out and putting only good clean foods in my body.

It's a person's choice I suppose. Hm, meth...scabs on my face, more energy and climbing the walls than I could know what to do with, the highlight of my day being picking my scabs and losing a zillion lbs in only weeks, OR being healthy for a lifetime by taking the longer route, the lasting one! OR...hm diet pills, addiction and gaining it all back when the doc says no more pills....or you actually eat food...

Not a hard decision for me:noway: :wink: ...... or most folks here that are looking for a lifetime of good health!

Am I sounding cold, I don't mean any of this harshly but when a member has been on MFP for awhile the last thing I expected from them is to actually post about dietpills. New folks? Sure we're still gonna see lots of posts from folks that either don't know better or are simply here for a quick fast fix for their wedding or to lose weight for a cruise ...once they lose, they are gone, until they return in 6 months or a year and begin again since the weight doesn't stay off as we know when a person 'diets' it off.

my thoughts on the matter...... and we are all entitled to them:wink::flowerforyou:

I absolutely wish you NOTHING but the BEST elliott but I think you know the healthy way to lose by now, don't you?:wink::flowerforyou: It's simply a matter of a mind set and gathering all the help here you can find, and you will find TONS, but not in the diet pill area..I don't think many healthy folks here will support a person doing that.....to me that's a form of cheating ones self out of good healthy life and a unwise decision:huh: :noway:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Any takers on advise??

From Wiki:

Phentermine, in doses clinically used, works on the hypothalamus portion of the brain to release norepinephrine, a neurotransmitter or chemical messenger that signals a fight-or-flight response, reducing hunger. Phentermine works outside the brain as well to release epinephrine or adrenaline causing fat cells to break down stored fat, but the principal basis of efficacy is hunger-reduction. At high doses, phentermine releases serotonin and dopamine as well, but such doses are never used in clinical medicine.

More common symptoms

Insomnia
    Increased blood pressure
    Irritability
    Nervousness
    Sense of well-being
    Dry mouth
    Unpleasant taste
    Blurred vision
    Heartburn/Acid reflux
    Change in sexual desire
    Clumsiness
    Confusion
    Diarrhea
    Dizziness
    Headache
    Irregular heartbeat
    Nausea or vomiting
    Psychosis
    Skin rash or itching
    Stomach pain
    Tiredness

Less common symptoms

Convulsions (seizures)
    Dizziness
    Fever
    Hallucinations
    Hostility with urge to attack
    Irregular blood pressure
    Lightheadedness or fainting
    Mental depression, following a period of excitement
    Tremors, trembling or shaking
    Overactive reflexes
    Panic
    Restlessness
    Severe nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
    Stomach cramps
    Tiredness or weakness

Phentermine, a contraction for "phenyl-tertiary-butylamine", is an appetite suppressant of the amphetamine and phenethylamine class.

It is approved as an appetite suppressant to help reduce weight in obese patients when used short-term and combined with exercise, diet, and behavioral modification. It is typically prescribed for individuals who are at increased medical risk because of their weight and works by helping to release certain chemicals in the brain that control appetite.

Commercial trade names

Adipex P (Immediate release)
    Anoxine-AM
    Ionamin (Slow Release Resin, Australia, discontinued in the US)
    Duromine (Slow Release Resin, New Zealand & Australia)
    Fastin
    Mirapront
    Obephen
    Obermine
    Obestin-30
    Phentrol
    Phenterex
    Phentromin
    Pro-Fast SA
    Redusa
    Panbesy
    Phentermine Trenker
    Obenix
    Oby-Trim
    Teramine
    Zantryl
    Sinpet (MX)
    Supremin (PH)
    Umine (NZ)
    Weltmine (KP)

There ya go much more info on the diet pills you were asking about... one thing I noticed right off when Googling them is there was much more on online ordering than anything said about them. China is selling them quite cheap...um, that should tell us something about them:noway: :huh:

Any drugs you can buy online on pharmacies you don't need a real docs prescription on ...well, is that one any of us would really want to be taking to deep clean the house?:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :wink: :laugh: :frown:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I really wouldn't do it. I have taken them before and yeah i lost about 15 lbs but it came right back when i stoped taking them. The gave me energy which i loved, but so will a diet soda!
    I think you should show your friends at work how to loose weight the healthy way!
    I think you are one smart girl for sharing what you did with her:flowerforyou: , and I thank you for your honestly..

Regarding anyone that will be reading this...new folks look to those of us that have been at this awhile as members that might know what we're doing by now and see us all some what of person that knows a bit more than they do about what works and doesn't work.

Guess that's why the asking of diet pills is ruffling my feathers... but I see noklue2 has only just joined as a new member this month (welcome btw:flowerforyou: :wink: ) Smart girl to no longer be taking them:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    here is what I meant to say: I took over the counter diet pills before, sure I did lose weight, but they made me really irratable, jittery, and made my heart race. Then when I went off of them I gained all the weight back and then some. To me they just aren't worth it and they teach you absoultly nothing other than a quick fix for the problem at hand. They teach nothing about healthy eating or a healthy lifestyle that will be with you for years and years to come. So my advice to you is don't do it.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    here is what I meant to say: I took over the counter diet pills before, sure I did lose weight, but they made me really irratable, jittery, and made my heart race. Then when I went off of them I gained all the weight back and then some. To me they just aren't worth it and they teach you absoultly nothing other than a quick fix for the problem at hand. They teach nothing about healthy eating or a healthy lifestyle that will be with you for years and years to come. So my advice to you is don't do it.
    :flowerforyou: So glad you shared your experience with anyone even thinking of going that route Laura:flowerforyou:
  • cab2424
    cab2424 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I took adipex and sure it worked in a sense because I probably could have not eaten anything at all. Food sounded awful, but I get so mean on it and like they said above it is like speed. Then when you don't eat enough because it makes you feel so full then you get even worse shakes. I felt awful on it when I took a whole pill. When I started my diet this time, I did take a half a pill the first few days to curve my hunger (because you feel so hungry at the start of any diet) but now I do not take them and I would not recommend any.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    And you notice these are all symptoms associated with crack addicts. Interesting?!!!
    Phentermine,

More common symptoms

Insomnia
    Increased blood pressure
    Irritability
    Nervousness
    Sense of well-being
    Dry mouth
    Unpleasant taste
    Blurred vision
    Heartburn/Acid reflux
    Change in sexual desire
    Clumsiness
    Confusion
    Diarrhea
    Dizziness
    Headache
    Irregular heartbeat
    Nausea or vomiting
    Psychosis
    Skin rash or itching
    Stomach pain
    Tiredness

Less common symptoms

Convulsions (seizures)
    Dizziness
    Fever
    Hallucinations
    Irregular blood pressure
    Overactive reflexes
    Panic
    Restlessness
    Stomach cramps
    Tiredness or weakness
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :wink: :drinker:
    And you notice these are all symptoms associated with crack addicts. Interesting?!!!
    Phentermine,

More common symptoms

Insomnia
    Increased blood pressure
    Irritability
    Nervousness
    Sense of well-being
    Dry mouth
    Unpleasant taste
    Blurred vision
    Heartburn/Acid reflux
    Change in sexual desire
    Clumsiness
    Confusion
    Diarrhea
    Dizziness
    Headache
    Irregular heartbeat
    Nausea or vomiting
    Psychosis
    Skin rash or itching
    Stomach pain
    Tiredness

Less common symptoms

Convulsions (seizures)
    Dizziness
    Fever
    Hallucinations
    Irregular blood pressure
    Overactive reflexes
    Panic
    Restlessness
    Stomach cramps
    Tiredness or weakness
  • nicolet04
    nicolet04 Posts: 830
    Options
    i took it for six months after i had my daughter and i lost 40 lbs.....when i stopped taking it i gained back 50 lbs within 3 months and i was still eating right. i started taking them again after i had my son but i knew in the back of my head that i would gain it all back, so i stopped taking it, gained back 2 lbs and now i am losing with diet and excercise alone!!!! i feel better then ever!!! u can do it without it and u will be so glad that u did!!!:drinker:
  • dven94
    dven94 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've tried diet pills before....always gain the weight back plus some.

I finally joined WW March 08....lost 40 lbs. I stopped WW and only gained back about 5. That told me that I've changed my eating lifestyle.

I'm now here to lose the last 18 lbs that want to stick! Changing your eating habits and exercise are the way to go!! Good luck!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I found a crooked Dr when I was in college and he prescribed them to me when I was about 135 and wanted to loose 5-10 pounds
    I used them on and off about 3x while in college and YES they work, but once you stop taking them the weight comes back plus some

Kim
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I found a crooked Dr

:noway:

This surprised me initially, but then I thought of the staff of my student health center lol!