Splenda vs. Sugar

Options
Just wondering which is actually better for you, splenda or sugar?

Replies

• taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Id say sugar the FDA rejected splenda like 4 times and it just snuck by. Google splenda, and FDA Im sure youd get some interesting info. Id go for natural sugars
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Splenda kind of freaks me out. It is something our bodies are not used to metabolizing. I used to put it in my coffee until I realized that the terrible headaches I was getting more and more often were triggered by it. I no longer use it on anything, and rarely have headaches anymore. I usually put agave nectar in or on things now.
  • ceeceew
    ceeceew Posts: 21
    Options
    Sugar! Even if you use 3 sugars in your coffee, you're looking at 45ish cals... Splenda is just chemicals.
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Options
    Splenda is terrible for you, as are all artifical sweetners. Your body can not metabolize them and some of them are used in rat posion. Also studies have shown they can cause you to gain or retain weight because of the way your body tries to digest them.
  • MommyofBoys
    Options
    Would splenda be affecting my weight loss? I haven't lost a pound since April 4th, I've changed up my workouts, I even started running, I measure everything I eat and I make sure I eat back at least half of my workout calories. I'm pretty sure it was around April when I started to use splenda in my coffee like 3 times a day.
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sugar is natural. Splenda is a chemical. You decide.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters, SUGAR all the way.
    That said, if you feel the need to go for a sugar-replacement, look at stevia- it's all natural. Some brands of stevia have fake sugar products with it, so avoid those brands. Look for the cleanest version of stevia possible.
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Would splenda be affecting my weight loss? I haven't lost a pound since April 4th, I've changed up my workouts, I even started running, I measure everything I eat and I make sure I eat back at least half of my workout calories. I'm pretty sure it was around April when I started to use splenda in my coffee like 3 times a day.

I read once that there was a study done that suggested that Splenda cause you to gain or retain weight... of course I don't have the link to this study. I will say though, that my Mom uses splenda every day in her coffee and she has a really hard time losing weight.
  • MommyofBoys
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to throw out my splenda. Maybe this will kick start my weight loss again.
  • HSmamato4
    HSmamato4 Posts: 70
    Options
    Splenda is like poison-you are putting a manmade chemical into your body. Try sucanat, raw honey or real maple syrup as a sweetener. In truth, none of them are particularly good for you, sugar should always be a pretty limited part of your diet, but splenda (and other artificial sweeteners-actually pretty much anything artificial) is particularly awful. Run away lol! Low calorie does not always equal healthy. Like a friend of mine always says, "garbage in, garbage out."
  • Jackie_Snape80
    Options
    If you can wiggle sugar into your diet(in small amounts, of course) then by all means choose sugar! Especially raw cane sugar...more natural. If not, then Splenda is ok...also in moderation. Too much of anything, be it real sugar products or chemicals, isn't good for you. If you can't fit sugar in, and are still on the fence about Splenda, try Truvia or Stevia in the Raw. These are no/low calorie sweeteners that are natural and don't have tons of strange things put into them. More expensive, but worth it if you can afford it. Personally, I do a mix of Splenda/Stevia...and sometimes I use it too much. But, I'm not going to let other people make me feel horrible about it. Not everyone can handle certain sweeteners or in certain amounts. Whatever works for you and your body is usually best.
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    Splenda kind of freaks me out. It is something our bodies are not used to metabolizing. I used to put it in my coffee until I realized that the terrible headaches I was getting more and more often were triggered by it. I no longer use it on anything, and rarely have headaches anymore. I usually put agave nectar in or on things now.

Agave nectar is supposed to be a safe sugar alternative. I've heard about it several times but I dont have any yet, I just learned it myself.
  • phoenix9115
    Options
    i use ALOT of splenda and store brand splenda..I rarely use sugar..i eat alot of yogurt and to me its just not sweet enough,so i put splenda in it.Also i love black tea and super super sweet so i have to do half sugar half splenda..I am doing very well losing weight on this site,lost 12 pounds so far in a month and half,not too shabby. I am not a huge sweet eater but the things i love like my yogurt and tea,and special K, i love super sweet,I cannot put a ton of sugar in,so i use splenda.I am going to have to use splenda anyway since im having gastric bypass surgery sugar is very restricted for the rest of my life afterwards.. I miss having somethging super sweet sometimes but i can live without it. I like splenda alot and it lets me have the things i like very sweet without the sugar.
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options
    This makes a lot of sense. Wow, another eye opening post for me. :noway: When I was watching carbs I ate no (very little) sugar and ate as if I were a diabetic, splenda only. Now that I'm monitoring calories instead of just low carb, I still buy things sugar free with Splenda. That could be why I have plateaued so much and can barely nudge the scale... bye bye Splenda foods... will try more natural. Gosh I love this site and all the fantastic advise. :heart:
  • tmfulk
    tmfulk Posts: 5
    Options
    Splenda is nasty and deadly. Never heard of anyone getting cancer from sugar. My trainer suggest using Honey if you have a sweet tooth.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Sugar! I always choose natural over chemical.
  • tmfulk
    tmfulk Posts: 5
    Options
    Agave is fabulous or use Honey. I have a sweet tooth....or two!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    o5yr5y.gif