AB Workout for Beginners?

Options
Does anyone have one? I'm planning on starting some toning but I don't have an ab workout. It's my most problematic section of bod and I need to start with something!
I am the definition of beginner so don't go hard on me haha.

Replies

• ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Do you work out at home or in a gym?
  • its_laura_btw
    its_laura_btw Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I work out at home for now :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have one? I'm planning on starting some toning but I don't have an ab workout. It's my most problematic section of bod and I need to start with something!
    I am the definition of beginner so don't go hard on me haha.

You can't spot reduce your belly by doing direct ab work. Your best bet is to do some full body programming with an emphasis on compound movements as these require you to use your core (not just your abs).

I do some direct ab work, but it's pretty minimal. Doing a lot of direct ab work can have the opposite effect of what you're actually trying to accomplish...as in a lot of direct ab work is going to ultimately result in bigger abdominal muscles, and if those muscles are covered in fat you'll actually look like you have a bigger belly than you really do.
  • its_laura_btw
    Options
    Okay, so more on the core. I want to be stronger in that area, I feel like it will help my back too. But it's just finding the right exercises.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Okay, so more on the core. I want to be stronger in that area, I feel like it will help my back too. But it's just finding the right exercises.

If you're not in a gym, what kind of equipment do you have? Look into some beginner body weight stuff. Planks are also good for strengthening the core, particularly for a beginner. Do some front planks and side planks.
  • its_laura_btw
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't have much, I have some very light Dumbbells for my upper body and some different resistance bands/tubes.
    Ahh the plank, something I suck at.
    Time to start doing it and get good!
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Planks, push ups, russian twists.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Try the Nerdfitness routine.
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

It is a good all round bodyweight routine.

Cheers, h.

Edit. This is a good routine to do with your hand weights. There are a number of other short programmes by HASfit that you may like.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

You may like something like 30 day shred.
  • thenewkrissy
    thenewkrissy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Check out fitnessblender on YouTube. Very great workouts.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    First off, problem section is code for having a winter coat. Eat at a deficit.

Back extensions and hanging sit-ups are great. Pot stirs are great. AB wheel is a staple.