Is it safe to not eat unless hungry?

Options
For a while I was eating around 3000 calories per day, simply due to factors such as boredom, taste, stress, etc.

When I realized my weight gain had gotten out of control (I gained around 20 pounds in a few months, and I am VERY short), I decided to start dieting. I lost 8 pounds within a week, and since joining MFP went from 112 to 107 today...

The thing is, I decided to start eating only when I am hungry. I still force myself to eat breakfast, and eat throughout the day a bit due to boredom, but if only eating based on hunger, I would never make my 1,200 calorie daily goal -- I would most likely eat around 600 calories per day.

Assuming I am eating a wide variety of healthy foods, is it safe to only eat when hungry? I am wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation.

Thank you!

Replies

• allysabee
    allysabee Posts: 123
    Options
    If you don't feel hungry often, I would suggest eating bulkier foods, or food that are a little higher in calories because you should be eating nothing less than 1200 a day. If that means only a few times throughout the day, try to fill your meals up with enough calories to balance to that number! It could be unhealthy for you to eat any less than that.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Well, you would say that "listening to your body" would be foolish if it told you to eat 5 donuts, right? So listening when it tells you to eat 600 cals is just as foolish. Chronic lack of appetite can be a signal of severely decreased metabolism. A couple of threads that may help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175241-a-personal-view-on-exercise-cals-and-underfeeding

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works
  • Crooks0204
    Crooks0204 Posts: 189
    Options
    *****Not being judgmental.......I AM JUST ASKING!!!!*******

How "short" (as you said) are you that 85-90 pounds will be a healthy weight for you. I am only asking b/c this is what my adult sister weighs and it is not healthy for her. As I said, just asking!!!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options

Thank you for the links. I believe I have a high metabolism, but I will check this out. :)

Also thank you Alyssabee as well!

(Moderator note: Sorry, I wasn't trying to edit the post, just clicked the wrong button! lol
    Ladyhawk00)
  • Inspiredtobe
    Inspiredtobe Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You NEED to eat at least 1,200 calories a day or more. At least between 1,200-1,300 for weight loss, depending on your weight. If you eat any where below 1,200, your body with signal itself to starvation mode and it's very unhealthy. You will gain weight EASIER if you eat under 1,200 calories. You will lose muscles instead of fat. You won't be losing any inches. You need at least 1,200 calories a day, you need the energy. 600 calories is waay too low and extremely unhealthy. So start eating at least 1,200 or more, exercise, and you will get to your goal weight in no time!
    Stay healthy and never give up. (:
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options

How "short" (as you said) are you that 85-90 pounds will be a healthy weight for you. I am only asking b/c this is what my adult sister weighs and it is not healthy for her. As I said, just asking!!!

Trust me, that is a totally reasonable question~ I am 4'9" The only reason I don't advertise it is because I used to be 4'11" since I was 13 up until around 1/2 a year ago. Somehow being sick for a few months, I became shorter. It is a little odd, as I am not sure if my height is consistent anymore. :smile:
  • borisda
    borisda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    in my opinion it is best to eat little and often, 5-6 meals a day . So break the necessary calories into for example 5 meals, so 1200 divde by 5 equals 240 cals per meal give or take. so aim to eat these amounts of calories every 3-4 hours. I hope this helps : ))
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

Thank you for the links. I believe I have a high metabolism, but I will check this out. :)

Also thank you Alyssabee as well!

Well, if you have a high metabolism, your appetite will be high as well....and it would mean that fueling it sufficiently would be even MORE important. So undereating would have an even greater negative effect on you if your metabolism is high.
  • mleipe
    mleipe Posts: 54
    Options
    Well, you would say that "listening to your body" would be foolish if it told you to eat 5 donuts, right? So listening when it tells you to eat 600 cals is just as foolish. Chronic lack of appetite can be a signal of severely decreased metabolism. A couple of threads that may help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175241-a-personal-view-on-exercise-cals-and-underfeeding

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma

This is great - thanks!

And I love your quotes for sure.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

Trust me, that is a totally reasonable question~ I am 4'9" The only reason I don't advertise it is because I used to be 4'11" since I was 13 up until around 1/2 a year ago. Somehow being sick for a few months, I became shorter. It is a little odd, as I am not sure if my height is consistent anymore. :smile:

Have you asked a doc about this? The only way to get shorter is through loss of bone mass - which would mean some very serious problems.
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    You NEED to eat at least 1,200 calories a day or more. At least between 1,200-1,300 for weight loss, depending on your weight. If you eat any where below 1,200, your body with signal itself to starvation mode and it's very unhealthy. You will gain weight EASIER if you eat under 1,200 calories. You will lose muscles instead of fat. You won't be losing any inches. You need at least 1,200 calories a day, you need the energy. 600 calories is waay too low and extremely unhealthy. So start eating at least 1,200 or more, exercise, and you will get to your goal weight in no time!

Thank you for the kind post. :) I actually don't want any muscle, so I don't exercise much. I am guessing it is unhealthy, but if I don't want muscle tone, would this actually be ideal then? Sorry I'm so stubborn lol
  • ajl2
    ajl2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    exactly how short are you? You already weight an insanely low amount. how could it be healthy for you to weigh even less?
  • ritafay2011
    Options
    I would think eating when hungry isn't enough for you considering your health,we need our daily limits to be healthy..eating when hungry when over weight is bad for me!!!!...I don't have your problem ,but i have under active thyroid...Maybe you have hyperactive,but i'm not a doctor ...Just try to get your cals and carbs in look at other diary's this should help and keep you at the weight you need to be...If not go to doc and get a blood draw and you will know what you are dealing with...good luck!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options

Have you asked a doc about this? The only way to get shorter is through loss of bone mass - which would mean some very serious problems.

Yes. I have been to the doctors many times since. I am healthy, but I come from an odd family so...I'm not too worried something like this would happen. There are many things in my family that have no explanation, but have caused no detriment. LOL. I'm hoping this is the same. Thank you for the concern :)
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options

Yes. I have been to the doctors many times since. I am healthy, but I come from an odd family so...I'm not too worried something like this would happen. There are many things in my family that have no explanation, but have caused no detriment. LOL. I'm hoping this is the same. Thank you for the concern :)
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

This is great - thanks!

And I love your quotes for sure.

Quite welcome, and thank you :wink:
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    THANKS ladyhawk00!!! I was about to freak out after I hear you are gonna eat only 600 calories per day. :-D
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

Okey dokey, just wondered :smile:
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    I would think eating when hungry isn't enough for you considering your health,we need our daily limits to be healthy..eating when hungry when over weight is bad for me!!!!...I don't have your problem ,but i have under active thyroid...Maybe you have hyperactive,but i'm not a doctor ...Just try to get your cals and carbs in look at other diary's this should help and keep you at the weight you need to be...If not go to doc and get a blood draw and you will know what you are dealing with...good luck!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:

Thank you. I had my thyroid checked a few months ago, because I also thought the same thing. My thyroid is fine, but I will look at other diarys. That is a good idea. :smile:
  • garysgirl719
    garysgirl719 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Thank you for the kind post. :) I actually don't want any muscle, so I don't exercise much. I am guessing it is unhealthy, but if I don't want muscle tone, would this actually be ideal then? Sorry I'm so stubborn lol

You are correct that losing muscle is extremely unhealthy. Just a thought, the line "I am not hungry" is a very common one used by anorexics. Have you talked to a nutritionist about the fuel you are giving your body?