Always in search of something and tend to over eat by never finding it. I'm a stress eater

Options
Need support to help and 5slk to. Keep me away from dood

Replies

• Move4Abs
    Move4Abs Posts: 22 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Try stress eating cucumbers, maybe with a bit of salt. I find that as long as I'm chewing on something tasty when cravings/stress hit, I'm pretty content. Tea/Coffee and then work out? Get yourself out of the house, go for a walk, chew suger-free gum, eat mints. Eat an apple. Eat two apples and follow that up with cut up cucumbers, five mints and a walk. My brain get frantic when I experience that sort of stress...so anything I can do to make it feel better and be decently healthy, helps calm it/me enough to get through the "binge".

It's a good thing that you are recognizing what is happing as "stress" and not as a normal occurrence. Once you recognize the problem, you can plan on how you'll tackle it the next time it comes up.
  • dreamsofharu
    dreamsofharu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Guys! Please do some reasearch about veganism (high carb low fat)! And take your time watching 'the vegan couple' and freelee the banana girl on YouTube.
    I used to binge alot too! But the main reason for that is because you have a huge calorie deficiency and your body needs those calories. That's where the cravings come from. Then your brain 'searches' for high calorie foods which are most likely processed and unhealthy.
    Remember! Your body does not burn all calories at the same rate! The vegan couple on YouTube did a self experiment on it awhile ago. One of them was disabled to work out due to injuries and ate 3500 kcal every day! But did not put on weight!

ITS NOT ABOUT HOW MUCH U EAT, ITS ABOUT WHATYOU EAT!

And before you try to tell me something about 'nutrient' deficiency, please do some reasearch on that topic beforehand.
  • simplycidalia73
    simplycidalia73 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As I stated before, I can't stand Freelee. I have no problem with veganism (and am trying a vegan challenge myself), but the super high carb ultra low fat fad is ridiculous. There are vegans out there with abysmal cholesterol numbers (high LDL and low HDL) because of the ridiculous amount of carbs they consume and the lack of healthy fats.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Guys! Please do some reasearch about veganism (high carb low fat)! And take your time watching 'the vegan couple' and freelee the banana girl on YouTube.
    I used to binge alot too! But the main reason for that is because you have a huge calorie deficiency and your body needs those calories. That's where the cravings come from. Then your brain 'searches' for high calorie foods which are most likely processed and unhealthy.
    Remember! Your body does not burn all calories at the same rate! The vegan couple on YouTube did a self experiment on it awhile ago. One of them was disabled to work out due to injuries and ate 3500 kcal every day! But did not put on weight!

And before you try to tell me something about 'nutrient' deficiency, please do some reasearch on that topic beforehand.

Lolololol
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Unless you deal with the stress and/or deal with the way you handle stress you will likely always be a stress eater.

Firstly..can the stress be minimised in any way? Stress from home? How can you minimise that? Or work?

Sometimes stress will mostly always be there...eg work pressures, you need to find alternatives to deal with the stress rather than emotionally eating. You need to keep your hands and mouth otherwise occupied.

Go for a walk, read a book, call a family member or friend for a chat, knit, crochet, go to a boxing class, meditate, do yoga, soak in the bath...the list is endless.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Are you stressed often? I can handle a few blips along the way, so long as I get back to a deficit again as soon as the stressful time is over. In fact I make it a point to "go to maintenance" when I'm feeling stress.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

Ignore this post. Seriously flawed broscience. And freelee is a nutter. :)

Agreed

Please for the love of all that's good , please do not take any advice from free Lee the banana girl. She is exactly what's wrong with the fitness /health industry. She makes up ridiculous stuff to get hits, she gets paid and somewhere along the line someone actually believes the insanity .

For weight loss - yes it comes down to how much you eat ! If I ate 5000 calories of bananas today, do you think I would lose weight ? No I wouldn't.

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.
    Calorie deficit- weight loss

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Isn't Freelee the nut who says she lost her period when she got rid of all the toxins from her body? lol

She's crazy. Anything she says - do the opposite. :)

This too ! Stay far away from the banana girl !
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Uh, yeah, back to OP.

1) Do something else. Go for a walk, take a bath, paint your nails, clean out your closet, have a dance party in your living room...something. Meditation would probably be great; hard though if you are feeling wired.

2) Try to eat mindfully, or IOW, really spend some time thinking about what you want and make it great. Better to eat that one thing even if it is high calories vs. eating all the things because you just can't scratch the itch.

3) Go to low calorie density foods. Cucumber or pickles can work, but so can popcorn, at least for me. If the brakes are out better to mow down a bag of lower calorie popcorn instead of a bag of potato chips.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    tessoda1 wrote: »
    Need support to help and 5slk to. Keep me away from dood

Assuming you meant staying away from food...
    Food is not the problem. Using food to cope with stress is. Work on developing different tools to manage stress. Therapy, meditation, exercise, massage, talking about your problem, making art, knitting, gardening, coloring books, cleaning, writing, volunteering, watching movies, driving, etc.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I really do think this is an individual journey of discovery of what works for YOU and YOUR BODY. What works for me is:

1) eat breakfast
    2) eat 3 meals and one snack a day
    3) eat protein at every meal and snack
    4) eat enough healthy fat
    5) eat fiber-containing foods
    6) drink adequate water
    7) I have committed to tracking every bite. I find that if I don't want to track it, I am better at resisting bites, licks and tastes, and I am less likely to stress eat. I don't want to have to track all that stress food, so it makes it easier to choose to do something else to deal with stress.

Despite this, I do get hungry some days. I try waiting 20 minutes and reassess.

Hope this helps!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    When I overate b/c I was in search of something, that something was protein. Now I look at my macros for each meal and snack.

Regular exercise has done wonders for my stress level, and if I feel some unusual new stress, for the most part I have successfully retrained my brain to want to reach for my sneakers instead of Ben & Jerry's.