Do I need to stop running?

Options
I'm not a runner but I really want to be so quick background for you...

Jan/Feb 2015 I'd been exercising regularly for over a year with a lot of swimming and gym cardio and strength machines plus Tabata squats and situps with the swiss ball. Had lost almost 4 stone out of the 6 I needed to lose.

All was going great so I decided to try some more running cos I was feeling good and I've previously run 5ks. Started out round the track and was surprised that it wasn't too tough for me. Not easy by any means, but I did it in approx 40mins first go. I then went to a 5k Parkrun event and completed in 38:12. I had some soreness in my right hip after but put it down to different (concrete path) surface and camber. Ran again the next week and pain again. Rested for two weeks and just did a bit of swimming but it didn't get better so I went to GP. Was referred for physio and basically by the end of 6 weeks of that she'd told me I needed to wear orthotics in my shoes and continue the exercises to strengthen all the muscles and ligaments that support the body whilst running.

I then had to build back up with swimming and some yoga and the exercises she gave me and a few weeks later I could walk without pain or discomfort again.

Months passed... Never got fully back into pre-injury exercise routine due to various stuff like summer hols, kids, motivation.

In the past month and I've been working hard and I've lost 2/3 of the weight I put back on during my low-exercise period. Once again though I really want to run. I've done one Parkrun (42mins and had to walk a lot of the course) and been cycling and walking a lot then today did a session at the gym with treadmill, elliptical, and bike.

My question... it's totally clear to me that I need to focus much more on the yoga and other strengthening exercises, but am I going to need to totally avoid the running until I'm stronger to avoid making things worse?

The running (even though it's slow and my HR goes through the roof when I do it) makes me feel like I'm actually doing something :-/ and it really motivates me. I don't have any problems in terms of pain when walking long distances - it just seems to be the running that does it :-/

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I only run casually for cardio, but you may want to check out your shoes. You mentioned orthotics, but maybe your shoes themselves aren't proper. I think athletic shoe stores will help analyze your gait and make proper suggestions. The runners will have better input when they get back from their morning trots.
  • Lebatsirk
    Lebatsirk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just realised that I got the shoes I've been running in after Xmas 2014 so those first Parkruns would have been the first times running in them so you might be onto something!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have a similar weight loss journey
    And started running a year ago.
    Definately dont stop,just build up base miles slowly.
    Fully agree with getting gait analysis in a good running store.
    I takes a while to build up muscle and leg strength too.
    Have reduced parkrun times from 40m to almost 30 now.
    Good luck.
  • 1992fx3
    1992fx3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'd go to a store that specializes in fitting running shoes and get shoes for your running style and gait. Next use a Couch to 5K running program or app to ease back in to running, also based on your hip area pain- probably IT band related- do the Pigeon pose a couple times a day to loosen the IT band and keep it loose.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it's really up to you and maybe your dr

i just started last year.
    i found using a plan like c25k helped.
    i found i needed to slow down
    i found getting a gait analysis made a huge difference.
    i found i needed not to do too much

yoga is a great companion to running
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Wow - 42 minutes on your first run. No wonder you are injured. No matter what shape you are in, if you haven't been running you can't just 'go for it'. You body needs time to adapt. You have to build your distance slowly. Also, if your HR goes through the roof you are going too fast. Even if you think you are slow, go slower. You should be able to talk/sing during the run.

I suggest some structured approach like the Couch to 5k program. Or find some other beginner's program and stick to it.

Good luck.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I imagine one would be hard-pressed to find anyone who would suggest running as long as you did on your first go.

Most responsible running regimens have you build up time and distance SLOWLY. Running uses more muscles in the body than one realizes - without a proper baseline, you're asking for an injury if you expect them to do too much, too soon.

As an example: my running training program starts you off very cautiously: Week one calls for 10 minutes of walking as a warm-up, 10 drills of walking a minute and running 15 seconds (SLOWLY), and then a 10-minute free-form run where you're asked only to run as much as you are able, and to listen to your body. The whole workout duration is only 36 minutes. Later workouts also begin to incorporate exercises such as squats, knee lifts, and skipping to strengthen muscles and encourage proper form. In either case, it is STRONGLY encouraged to take a day off between runs. I have a sneaking suspicion you might not have allowed yourself time to heal between runs.

Try finding a couch-to-5K type of program that build up time and distance gradually, and try to go to a running store to get a gait analysis and find the proper shoe. This, for me, was instrumental. A good pair of running shoes will be more expensive, but they are absolutely worth it. I've had very few injuries, and they were 100% due to errors on my end rather than a lack of support.

Running is not a race (ha). Please don't be in such a rush to git good that you hurt yourself in the process.
  • Lebatsirk
    Lebatsirk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A 13-14 minute mile seems pretty slow to me, especially since I've previously done charity 5ks entirely walking in about 45mins :-/ My "running" feels barely faster than my walking pace.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions though. Think I will continue with the yoga etc and have a look at the C25K again :-)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others.....take time to heal, work on your strength (hips, glutes & core) and then gradually reintroduce running.

Most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast as we become victims of our own enthusiasm. Take your time building up distances and have fun!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Wow - 42 minutes on your first run. No wonder you are injured. No matter what shape you are in, if you haven't been running you can't just 'go for it'. You body needs time to adapt. You have to build your distance slowly. Also, if your HR goes through the roof you are going too fast. Even if you think you are slow, go slower. You should be able to talk/sing during the run.

I suggest some structured approach like the Couch to 5k program. Or find some other beginner's program and stick to it.

Good luck.

This^^ Too much, too soon. You need to ease into running.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was running all the time and during my last half marathon ended up blowing out both hips due to over training the week before. Took a REALLY long time to get my hips to not hurt.

I would do shorter distances, do some specific hip stretches before and after run. Get good shoes! And do some body weight or strength training to build up hip muscles and leg muscles. It all works together and will make you a better runner. Squats hurt, but are amazing for strengthening. I would also suggest not going for long runs but doing sprints. There's some research that says shorter, more intense bouts of running is more effective and maybe easier on the bod.