Dear Newbies

Options
Dear Newbies,

Some tips for your journey.

I see so many posts on here about motivation, but let me tell you something about motivation. It's unreliable. Motivation disappears. It's rarely there when you need it. If you are relying on motivation for your journey, you will never be successful because motivation is not constant. DISCIPLINE is constant. Discipline is what successful people rely on. Discipline is what keeps you going when you're exhausted and don't think you can possibly do a workout. Discipline is also what makes you wake up and go to work every morning (because let's be real who is motivated by work?) If you have enough discipline to go deal with your boss, co-workers, customers, etc everyday you can become disciplined enough to eat well and exercise.

You will have bad days, you will have bad weeks, you may even have bad months. Don't use that as an excuse to throw your hat in the ring and be done. Do you quit your job because you have a bad week? I hope not! It's the same with this. Sometimes you won't make it to the gym. Sometimes you will go way over on your calories. Sometimes you'll gain a little weight back. It's not all or nothing.

Your weight naturally fluctuates, so stop weighing yourself daily. I can wake up in one morning and be at a great low weight. The next day I can wake up and be 6 pounds heavier and it's completely normal (and healthy). Your weight is an imperfect measurement. A lot of things affect your weight daily such as your sodium and sugar intake, the amount of food you eat that has inflammatory properties, the amount of water you drink, stress, the temperature, how well you slept, how long you were on your feet the day before, your hormone cycle, etc. The scale is not the be all end all. Weigh yourself once a week and don't freak out if you're consistent with your calorie intake and you have one week where maybe you gain a pound. If over a period of a few weeks you've lost weight overall you're doing something right. If you're consistently gaining or remaining constant then something needs to change.

The statement that it takes 21 days to make a habit is a lie. Science backed evidence has found on average it's 66 days and for some it takes longer and for others it takes less time. You will not develop a habit in less than a month.

Ladies/Men 1200/1500 calories is not the magic number and MFP is terrible at calculating calories. If you're 280 lbs and you're only eating 1200 calories a day you're setting yourself up for failure because at some point you're going to snap and eat your arm and that's definitely more than 1200 calories. Go to iifym.com, click on TDEE calculator and be honest to it. When you find your TDEE multiply it by 0.8. That's how many calories you should be eating if you want to "aggressively" lose weight. 0.9 if you want to lose a little slower.

Set goals, lots of them. A goal needs to be a few things. Realistic, attainable, timed, and small. It's great to say I have 120 lbs to lose. Then you set your ticker for that and you lose 5 lbs but 5/120 is nothing and the little guy on that ticker hardly moves. It's discouraging. Set small goals for yourself. Because even if you only lose 10 lbs, you're still 10 lbs better of than you were before. A good goal sounds something like this. I will lose 4% of my body weight in 30 days, starting 5/1/16 and ending 5/30/16. That is a great goal!

Have fun. Exercise doesn't have to be daunting. Try new things! Exercise can be a ton of fun but you have to make it fun!

Sincerely,

Me!

If you want a disciplined, goal setting, 2000 calorie eating friend who loves to have fun feel free to add me. Send me a message about seeing this post and I'll be sure to add you.

Other successful members, what am I missing?

Replies

• Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. You nailed it. It took me so long to realise all of this.

I have tried every diet under the sun and failed them all, because weight loss is an industry. It shouldn't be an industry. The industry tells you 1200-1800 calories per day is the magic number. I bought into those numbers so many times. And the numbers work - for a short time. Until you're so tired you can't get out of bed. Until you feel weak. Until you look great, but feel awful. Until the scale number looks good but you look skinny fat. Until you realise you are hangry all the time. Until you realise that the only way to stay there is to keep at the magic number...but it just doesn't feel right. And you put it all back on plus some. So you buy into something else....see? It's an industry because we keep buying.

One day I read about the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, where the physiological and psychological effects of hunger were being investigated. Google it. The people involved in the experiment had their calories deliberately reduced so they were starving...so their calories were set at 1500 per day. Wait...what? At the time I had put myself on 1400 per day. I had set my daily calorie intake at a level that was below what these men were on to starve. Light bulb moment.

What you have posed above, I finally figured out. I never eat below 2000 now. I am losing weight on 2300 at the moment because it is below my Total Daily Energy Expenditure of about 2600 per day. No, I am losing fat. I know I am losing fat because I am not scared of weights any more and my workouts include weight training to preserve muscle...better yet, build muscle.

You don't have to starve to get healthy.
    Don't buy into any more gimmicks.
    Weight loss is not linear - so don't expect it to be. Nor should it be fast. If it is fast, you're buying from that industry again.
  • sweetvalor
    sweetvalor Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Both of yall nailed it! I took me some time to realize all if those things too and once I did, I felt so much better because I was actually taking care of myself. This is definitely an emotional, mental as well as physical transformation and it's easy to get caught up in the numbers. Very well said!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Fad diets are the worst! I should add, when you calculate TDEE you don't eat back your exercise calories.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, thank you.
    Can someone make this a sticky?
    We cannot stress out how important this all is.

The motivation you need doesn't come from other people.
    It comes from your own hard will and determination.

I eat whatever the hell I want, whenever the hell I want.
    I don't starve or suffer like I have done in the fail and I have failed in the past.
    I use to eat nothing but salads and veggies, be miserable, rely on others to help me through..

Then I learned discipline. I can eat all the cake in the world if I keep it in my goals.
    Some days I gain 8 pounds in water weight. Another day I'll 2 two total pounds.
    It's a journey that takes you through a lot of twists and turns.
    So equip yourself properly and enjoy it.
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Love it :smile: I went through a steep learning curve all on my own because no one I knew had counted calories to lose weight. I knew VERY little about calories, nothing about BMR or TDEE, so everything I now know is because I 'googled' everything! The amount of time I have spent 'googling' is crazy! I didn't even know you could get an app to help you! I saw MFP mentioned in a post somewhere once and that was the beginning for me :smile: I wish I had someone to tell me things like you mentioned when I first started. I mentioned in another post how I lost a lot of weight fast a decade or so ago eating 'like a rabbit' because I thought that is what I had to do. If I wanted to eat more I figured I would have had to work out like crazy to do that! I listened to all the diet talk about 'don't eat this and eat this... blah blah blah'. I tried it all and some.

I used to get so frustrated with the scales that I would stop counting calories out of frustration when I first started. One day I 'googled' why and I saw people saying things like 'period weight (very true for me), water retention etc. I have not lost weight in a few days now but I am okay with it, I figured there was a reason for it because I count calories and weigh my food so it wasn't that. Turns out it's the time of the month! I don't stress any longer like I used to. I eat whatever I want so long as 'it fits'. If I go over my calorie intake I have strategies in place, I easily forgive myself because that will be my life for the rest of my life... I will overeat some days, some days I will REALLY overeat but it's all good because I can balance it out over the next few days or week. I'm not a failure because I overate one day, I'm human!

I really wish I knew what I know now back then :smile: It would have saved me so much frustration and time. Regardless, it has all been worth it because I didn't give up and I am lighter and happier for it!