Trying to lose weight

Options
Hello everyone,
So I'm twenty one soon and about 5'7. I weigh 270 recently and want to lose weight. I need advice on how i can try and lose weight. I walk everyday and trying to watch what i eat but don't think it is good enough because instead of losing weight I'm just gaining it. Any advice?thanks

Replies

• ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Start with setting your goals on your account. Then start in on the stickies and read, read, read. Best of luck!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Estefani_H wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    So I'm twenty one soon and about 5'7. I weigh 270 recently and want to lose weight. I need advice on how i can try and lose weight. I walk everyday and trying to watch what i eat but don't think it is good enough because instead of losing weight I'm just gaining it. Any advice?thanks

The only possible way to lose weight is to eat few calories than you burn. There is no other way
  • crazyclayton
    crazyclayton Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Do you log everything that you eat? I find this has helped me loads, started logging everything and having smaller portions, I walk for 30 mins five days a weeks and so far lost 12lb in two weeks
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Log every single thing you eat. Be accurate. Be honest. The act of recording your actions starts the magic happening in your brain and you then decide what to eat to reach your macros and when to stop eating at your daily calorie goal and then you decide when to weigh and take pictures to monitor your progress.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Log everything, use a food scale, keep walking.
  • Estefani_H
    Estefani_H Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Is there any good way to find a website or do anything to find out what portions are right for me?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Is there any good way to find a website or do anything to find out what portions are right for me?

As other posters said, enter all your info into MyFitnessPal and it will tell you how many calories you should be eating. Use a food scale to weigh all the food you eat and enter it into your diary here.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Go by what MFP is telling you and get a food scale. Make sure before you buy things at the store, before it goes in the cart look at the label. For instance I love banana nut muffins. But I don't buy them because in my mind one muffin is 1 serving but if you look at the label it says 260 cals per serving and a whole muffin is 3 servings..WTF, I'm not going to cut it in 3 so I don't buy it. That's how you do portion control. Understand it in advance so you don't have to try to figure it out later.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Everything you need is right here on MFP. Follow the instructions above and YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT. If you're honest with your logging and follow your calorie goal it's a no fail situation.
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm in my late 40's, you know - that point in your life where everyone says it's harder to lose weight? Right.

I started off at 325lbs.

I've been following MFP, measuring my foods, counting accurate calories for 12 weeks.

I have *not* been walking, running, weight training or doing any other form of exercise, because I cannot do so. I'm physically injured and am not able to do those things without extreme pain.

I've currently lost 24lbs. I have another 100lbs to go.

Feel free to friend me if you like, but basically you need to do a few things to start losing weight:

1) Set your goals on MFP here.
    2) Get yourself a food scale - they're cheap but they make logging 100x easier and more accurate.
    3) Log *everything* you eat. Period. If you lie to yourself, you hurt yourself.
    3) Get some friends and open your food diary to them - when you realize what you eat can be read by others, it will keep you *very* honest and accountable.
    4) Stay consistent.
    5) Give support and ask for support when you need it.
    6) Don't give up - it takes time. You didn't gain weight overnight, you're not going to lose it overnight - anyone that claims you can is lying to you and trying to sell you on a fad.

Follow those steps and the weight will not only come off, you'll keep it off. I have, you can too.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Set up myfitnesspal, start weighing all your solid and semi solid foods (use cups/spoons for liquids) in grams on a digital food scale and log everything using accurate database entries on here. There's no need for another website, and there is no need to cut any foods out from your 'diet'. Set realistic expectations (don't expect to lose more than 2lbs per week) and trust the system. Eat when you like and as often as you like, but stick to weighing and logging food. There are no special diets, rules or supplements. Just eat at the calories mfp gives you. Protein and fats are nice and filling and low carb is a personal preference, but carbs aren't bad.

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

Typically when you enter a food, there will be a portion size listed. That's a good place to start. Getting a food scale that measures in grams can be a real eye opener, especially with things that add up quickly like pasta and meat. Some things that helped me get started are to buy single serve items. It may be a bit more expensive but it's good in the beginning to sort of train yourself. I still love and eat ice cream, but I buy the single serve mini cups because they are portioned appropriately.