Thyroid problems

Options
I was diagnosised with hypothyroidism many years ago. Over the last several years, have been on thyroid medication and I have felt completely off even though my blood work is reading normal.

I recently started doing some research and and found that if you have a thyroid challenge you should avoid certain foods and certain types of exercises.

Has anyone else heard or read that? Any additional information that people might have would be appreciated as I am in the fact collecting stage at the moment.

Thanks!

Replies

• tanyacwilson
    tanyacwilson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That pesky thyroid sure can create a lot of problems. I suggest you see a endocrinologist for the best treatment for hypothyroidism. Good luck!
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    yeah. the web will tell you all sorts of things that you need to avoid or you need to eat because of it.
  • PLoveElliott
    PLoveElliott Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I actually have been doing my research with my doctor, nutritionist, and a few fitness professionals that have similar problems.
    I just wanted to see if others have been told the same thing.
    Thanks!
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There's a pretty strong correlation between Hashimoto's and celiac disease. And of course people with thyroid issues should avoid eating too many raw goiterogenic foods (and unfortunately many of those are healthy, leafy greens). I love collard and turnip greens, but even though I eat them well cooked, if I eat more than just a small serving at a time I'll have the swollen throat feeling for a couple of days.

If I didn't feel right I'd push the doc to take a really close look at T3 and consider adding a medication for that if necessary. Also, many people report feeling much better on natural dessicated thyroid (Armour or NatureThroid) than on levothyroxine.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosised with hypothyroidism many years ago. Over the last several years, have been on thyroid medication and I have felt completely off even though my blood work is reading normal.

I recently started doing some research and and found that if you have a thyroid challenge you should avoid certain foods and certain types of exercises.

Has anyone else heard or read that? Any additional information that people might have would be appreciated as I am in the fact collecting stage at the moment.

Thanks!

Yes, I have heard it and it is nonsense. Unless you have also some other autoimmune illness, for which you are at greater risk than the average person. But a decent dr would have checked, with your diagnosis, if symptoms match some other illness. Talk to your endocrinologist (definitely find one if your GP is treating you), discuss your symptoms, adjust your meds. If you suspect other autoimmune disorders, e.g. because of symptoms that cannto be explained, find a reumatologist.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    There's a pretty strong correlation between Hashimoto's and celiac disease. And of course people with thyroid issues should avoid eating too many raw goiterogenic foods (and unfortunately many of those are healthy, leafy greens). I love collard and turnip greens, but even though I eat them well cooked, if I eat more than just a small serving at a time I'll have the swollen throat feeling for a couple of days.

If I didn't feel right I'd push the doc to take a really close look at T3 and consider adding a medication for that if necessary. Also, many people report feeling much better on natural dessicated thyroid (Armour or NatureThroid) than on levothyroxine.

I think this is mostly a myth. 1 out of 100-150 people in the general population have Celiac's. This percentage is something like 2-3 in 100 people for Hashimoto''s patients. Definitely an increased risk, but still very rare.