Weight loss on opposite sides othe body?

Options
I know people say weight loss isn't linear, you also can't pick and goose where you lose it from!

But is it normal to lose on one side of the body quicker than the other? I'm all uneven, my legs especially, one calf is a good inch thinner than the other!

I'm feeling completely lop-sided

Replies

• Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Fist - it is possible to have better muscle development on one side than the other. Also, there are many people who have one boob slightly larger than the other. It can be very natural. Best thing is to talk to your doctor to make sure there is not underlying problem causing it then you can rest assured that it is normal for you.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I would say it's normal, plus you could have slightly more muscle on one side, and as you lose fat are noticing it more.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Osiris275 wrote: »
    I know people say weight loss isn't linear, you also can't pick and goose where you lose it from!

But is it normal to lose on one side of the body quicker than the other? I'm all uneven, my legs especially, one calf is a good inch thinner than the other!

I don't think it is terribly unusual. I definitely see some lopsidedness on myself. Also, some of what makes us lopsided is uneven muscle development. For example, if you are right-handed, you may have a bit more muscle on your right arm due to using it more. When you measure your arm's circumference it can make you think that you are fatter on one side than the other when you're actually more muscular on one side than the other.

(BTW, I like your avi. We have 3 greys at home :))
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words! I'm feeling fine so I'm sure it is normal, it just seems a little weird :pensive:
    jemhh wrote: »

I don't think it is terribly unusual. I definitely see some lopsidedness on myself. Also, some of what makes us lopsided is uneven muscle development. For example, if you are right-handed, you may have a bit more muscle on your right arm due to using it more. When you measure your arm's circumference it can make you think that you are fatter on one side than the other when you're actually more muscular on one side than the other.

That's fab! I've got two retired greys and a rescue Lurcher :)
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options

LOL Once had a trainer tell me I was a freak of nature because my left arm is far stronger than my right and I am a righty all the way!

• kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

LOL Once had a trainer tell me I was a freak of nature because my left arm is far stronger than my right and I am a righty all the way!

I'm the same. I'm a lefty but my right side has more definition.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal to be slightly asymmetrical in muscle development. Now that you're paying closer attention to your body you're just aware of it.
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think its quite common
    Right handed but right hand is about 20% weaker than left.. that's why I hardl;y do any bar work and stick to dumbbells .. once a week I also concentrate on my smaller and weaker side for 15 minutes

• cfritch26
    cfritch26 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's how my legs generally are. I have a bum knee (missing part of my knee cap, 2 surgeries, and a removed meniscus) and my left leg is always smaller than my right because I favor one side to the other.

You may just unconsciously favor your dominant side. But being aware of it makes it easier to stop yourself when you notice it happening!

Just remember, any progress is fantastic...even when it's lopsided! :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I_amnr wrote: »
    I think its quite common
    Right handed but right hand is about 20% weaker than left.. that's why I hardl;y do any bar work and stick to dumbbells .. once a week I also concentrate on my smaller and weaker side for 15 minutes

When I first started lifting, I would have to concentrate to get my left arm to do what my right arm was doing. I'm specifically remembering bench press, where I'd stare at my left arm while pressing because it was always slightly slower going up compared to my right arm. Now, however, I have noticed that my left arm seems slightly stronger than my right arm. I think it's because I've spent so much time focusing on getting the left arm stronger.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I think its quite common

When I first started lifting, I would have to concentrate to get my left arm to do what my right arm was doing. I'm specifically remembering bench press, where I'd stare at my left arm while pressing because it was always slightly slower going up compared to my right arm. Now, however, I have noticed that my left arm seems slightly stronger than my right arm. I think it's because I've spent so much time focusing on getting the left arm stronger.

That's me. I can tell - and I have video to "prove" it - that my left side carries my bench. I've started shifting my gaze to the right a little, to try to help even it out. That, and using DBs for my assistance work.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I just noticed the same thing recently. One calf is half an inch smaller than the other after being mostly the same size for years. I think it's as people have stated above; I've finally gotten down to the actual muscle and one leg is just slightly more muscular than the other.
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    trust me switch to dumbbells

you will get stronger and your symmetry will even out better

I hardly touch bench (maybe once a month )or any exercise where there is a bar involved like bicep curls with a bar ..

you will notice the difference in a few months .. my weaker hand is slightly bigger than my stronger hand, upper chest has caught up but my right shoulder still needs some work
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I think its quite common

That's me. I can tell - and I have video to "prove" it - that my left side carries my bench. I've started shifting my gaze to the right a little, to try to help even it out. That, and using DBs for my assistance work.

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Are you lifting? This happens to me because I have badly injured feet so when I lift, one leg is always compensating over the other. To fix the issue, I mix in a lot of single-leg exercises so that I am forced to work the muscles and know that the other leg is not picking up slack. I also have slight asymmetry in my shoulders due to a previous collar bone fracture. Although it was years ago and rarely bothers me anymore, I still have a slightly "slanted" look to my one shoulder and tend to not be able to pull out the last rep with my one arm.
  • jennyi27
    jennyi27 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. You didn't specify which leg was bigger, but it is common to develop blood clots in your legs, particularly the left one. If one calf is larger, it could mean that your circulation is poor and you may be more susceptible to blood clots (which speaking from experience, are NOT FUN). I hope that the discrepancy in measurements is due to lopsided muscle definition rather than edema or circulation issues. Would not wish that experience on anyone. I'm pretty sure I'm permanently lopsided due to my experience, and no amount of lifting or cardio will make it go away.

Take care! :smile:
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

You can be small-motor right handed and large-motor left handed; I know people who write with their right hand but cartwheel left, find turning to left easier, step out on left foot rather than right when going up into a handstand.

OP - I noticed a couple of years back that my right leg was a full inch larger than my left and adjusted my exercise to compensate, they are even now. You know what I figured out caused it? The stairs in my office building have uneven # of steps in each flight (so you start and end on the same foot) and we are on the 12th floor - I had been taking the stairs as part of my daily activity and the extra 44 steps on the right leg each time had grown it. I went for a few months starting only with left, and now alternate since they are equal.
  • fit4itall
    fit4itall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I recently noticed the left side of my waist curves in a little more. I never noticed this before, but then again never noticed it going in at all before losing...so IDK if it's just they way I'm naturally shaped, or if I'm losing more fat on one side. Another embarrassing one, is that my left butt cheek is not as round lol. Again, didn't notice until after losing about 15lbs, so IDK what's up with that. If anyone has a similar thing going on, please share (did it resolve)?
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    fit4itall wrote: »
    I recently noticed the left side of my waist curves in a little more. I never noticed this before, but then again never noticed it going in at all before losing...so IDK if it's just they way I'm naturally shaped, or if I'm losing more fat on one side. Another embarrassing one, is that my left butt cheek is not as round lol. Again, didn't notice until after losing about 15lbs, so IDK what's up with that. If anyone has a similar thing going on, please share (did it resolve)?

I have the waist thing due to scoliosis and never noticed it pre-weight loss. Have you ever had a doctor look at your spine (and potential orthopedic issues in general)?
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    About three weeks ago one of my thighs was noticeably thinner than the other thigh, and I had a big loss at the time. So I'm going with yeah, it happens.