Replies

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Just measure and weigh your food!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I use two small square plates for breakfast and lunch, and used to fill a small round plate twice for dinner. Now that I'm shooting everything I eat, I place dinner on a large/normal sized plate.

I learnt portion control through the food diary here on MFP. Can't tell you how much I love the freedom from dogma :D
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The plates that restaurants use now are much larger than the plates restaurants used 40 years ago. Just about any restaurant entree can be shared among 2 people or more people and everybody gets a full meal.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I like to use small mugs for icecream. Other than that, normal sized cutlery and plates for me, since I load up on veggies.... volume eater here! I weigh my food.

However, my wine glasses have doubled o_O
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food so using a smaller plate isn't necessary for portion control but it does make my meal look less pathetic if I'm eating something that's calorie dense.

I use small spoons for ice cream because I'm dainty.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I need bigger plates to fit all the veggies too. Heck I often use a whole mixing bowl for my salads, lol.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    The plates that restaurants use now are much larger than the plates restaurants used 40 years ago. Just about any restaurant entree can be shared among 2 people or more people and everybody gets a full meal.

I've noticed this, too. The plates restaurants use are the size of the platters I use when serving a large family meal.

I've always used smaller plates and bowls simply because I'm not a volume eater and they take up less room in the dishwasher.
  • Francl27
    Options

Yeah I must not be eating at the same restaurants that everyone else goes to.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Never works for me, just makes me think I had less and can have more haha. I get the reasoning behind it, its just never worked. I think I read once that eating off of blue plates can make you feel full faster.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Really depends on the restaurant. Most of those I go to have plates the size of my ordinary ones, which are not huge.

As for thinking you can have more, I simply never get seconds. I put on my plate what I'm planning to eat (which is why I think the plate thing makes less difference -- I believe it does when people aren't careful in measuring out foods to start with).
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I made my kitchen smaller! I get full just cooking something now.

KT0513_Alton-Brown-Mini-Kitchen.jpg.rend.snigalleryslide.jpeg

Bwahahahahahaha! I find the smirk on his face hysterical!!!

Anyways-we don't have sit down dinners here very much and we use bowls for much of what we eat. I weigh everything though. The smaller the bowl the more I feel like I am eating. I can see how this method could help those who don't use a food scale.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Honestly plate size is completely irrelevant when you weigh/measure your food.

It's a good tip for people who don't want to count calories, I suppose, but once you've weighed your portion, seriously, why does it matter how much it fills up your plate?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    lml852014 wrote: »
    I actually use a small bowl when I eat ice cream or cereal so it looks like I'm eating way more then I am.

I use tea cup. but my problem is seconds

With one serving of full fat ice cream like Ben & Jerry's, I don't want seconds...if I eat it after dinner at my OH's house and leave the open container in his freezer.

(I'm ok with the 4 ounce mini cups, as they do not come in my favorite flavors.)
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

It's a good tip for people who don't want to count calories, I suppose, but once you've weighed your portion, seriously, why does it matter how much it fills up your plate?

I agree, but a smaller plate looks fuller, just a little psychological deception. My husband doesn't weigh or measure and is starting to use my smaller plates so maybe there'll be some real benefit.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,023 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure foods especially high calorie foods like ice cream.

But I do find putting my small serve of ice cream in a little ramekin instead of a big bowl and eating it with a teaspoon makes it seem less of a small serve and makes me take longer to eat it - which is good because it is so enjoyable.

I am totally aware this is purely psychological or placebo type effect but it does work for me.
  • Francl27
    Options
    For ice cream, buy some tiny spoons to eat it with too, lol!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

^^ this
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    How does this work when you cook or prepare just one meal for yourself? Put the food on a small plate before cooking it to make sure it fits on a small plate? or just guess the amount of food and have leftovers. Isn't it better to just weigh it beforehand and then you can use any crockery and cutlery you want.