The Military Diet

Options
Hey everyone!

I'm starting the military diet. Basically there's a set amount to eat for 3 days and is usually used for rapid weight loss. However it's called the military diet for a reason; it's not easy to follow and it isn't for everyone. I did this diet about 2 weeks ago and dropped 7lbs. I've managed to maintain that loss for 2 weeks so I'm going to start it again and see if I can lose another 7lbs.

It's important to note that during those weeks off I maintained a healthy diet and didn't binge eat or starve myself or else that would slow my metabolism down which Noone would want.

If anyone is interested, info on the diet can be found here: http://themilitarydiet.com/military-diet-plan/

I'll keep you up to date on my progress but if you'd like to chat feel free to add me! :)

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It's a VLC diet. Of course you will lose weight on it. VLC diets are against forum rules I think.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It's a VLC diet. Of course you will lose weight on it. VLC diets are against forum rules I think.

Yes, you are correct.

OP - this diet is decades old and has gone by many names. It's not called the military diet for any other reason except someone thought is was more marketable that way.

Eating weird food combinations doesn't help you burn fat. Hot dogs & saltines......utter nonsense.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    JosieZeee wrote: »
    However it's called the military diet for a reason; it's not easy to follow and it isn't for everyone.

It's called the military diet to give it false credibility. What military uses this diet?

You're right it's not for everyone. In fact, it's not for anyone. But you do you and don't let those haters slow you down. ;)

• BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    CICO is how you lose weight - nothing more, nothing less. Calories In < Calories Out = Weight loss. CI = CO = No gain/loss. CI > CO = Weight gain.

Period.

2lbs per week is the maximum for safe, sane, normal, maintainable, long-term weight loss. Anything else is a fad/gimmick.

As said above, this is a BS diet fad and completely stupid. As someone who is former military, I resent them calling it a "military diet".
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple foods from what I can tell. No saute' pan needed, so definitely not for me. I do resent it being called the Military diet, being a retired Chiefs wife. What does eating toast and cottage cheese do with eating like a person in the military? @jmbmilholland what you said was a bit harsh don't you think? We are just talking about a specific way of eating?
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Oh Lawd...if I had to eat that way I'd be ready to hurt someone. That's so little food that it would take the word "hangry" to Incredible Hulk levels.

OP, a good eating plan for weight loss is one that is SUSTAINABLE. That means you can keep it up long-term. This "military diet" is not sustainable; I'd even say it's not even appetizing. You can eat a wide variety of foods and enjoy them without having to cut your calories that drastically. Here's an example of my day:

Breakfast - multi-grain cheese toast OR protein shake (if I'm not very hungry) OR scrambled egg with spinach, tomato, and herbs

Lunch - ham and cheese sandwich on multi-grain bread with spinach and tomatoes; instead of mayo, I use plain nonfat Greek yogurt with some herbs mixed in. I have a piece of some kind of fruit (apple, mango, banana, strawberries are my favorites). Sometimes when I'm sick of sandwiches, I'll pick up a salad from somewhere or bring dinner leftovers from the night before.

Mid-afternoon - protein bar

Dinner - lean protein (fish or chicken or pork; I have red meat on occasion, but no more than twice a week), veggies, and brown rice or whole wheat pasta. I use herbs and other seasonings to spice things up and give everything flavor. Because of the nature of this meal, I'm able to eat a pretty healthy portion of this. My veggies take up half the plate; the other half is split between my protein and carbs.

Evening - scoop of sugar-free ice cream (I have insulin issues and have to watch my sugar intake). If I get cravings for salty, I'll have a few whole grain Cheez-its (taste just like the regular ones).

As you can see, it's possible to eat quite a bit of food and still lose weight in a SUSTAINABLE way.
  • LindsNW05
    LindsNW05 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ugh, my brother-n-law and his gf are doing this diet, every time she mentions it I just internally roll my eyes.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous VLCD with almost no nutritional value - ice cream, saltines & hot dogs? This diet is complete nonsense. This type of diet only works because you're basically starving yourself for 3 days. You'll have much better success if you stop looking for a quick fix and just follow MFP the way it was intended with a reasonable calorie deficit.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    It's pretty simple foods from what I can tell. No saute' pan needed, so definitely not for me. I do resent it being called the Military diet, being a retired Chiefs wife. What does eating toast and cottage cheese do with eating like a person in the military? @jmbmilholland what you said was a bit harsh don't you think? We are just talking about a specific way of eating?

I come from a line of Army, Navy and Marine combat vets, ranging from Iraq back to the Revolution, and am deeply aware of the many sacrifices made while in service and for decades thereafter, by both the service members and their families. While the actual revulsion I felt at someone calling this bit of frilly nonsense the military diet was quite harsh, probably on a similar level to your professed feeling of resentment, no, I do not believe the light sarcasm I posted was harsh at all.

Wise words. Thank you. For your honesty, and for the sacrifices your family has made.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Thanks for your understanding,
    JustSomeEm
    MyFitnessPal Moderator