For those who've had success, I need some insight

Options
I always weight 4 pounds more when I check my weight just after I wake up. However, once I have my morning cup of tea and empty my bowels, I weigh 4 pounds less. Which one is correct? Any insight on this?

Replies

• charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Neither is "correct". These weights just show how your weight adjusts during the morning (and indeed throughout the day) depending on what you have eaten and drunk, and when you relieve yourself! in my experience, this difference is not the same every day either; it depends what I ate and drank the night before, how late that was, and how long I slept. I find it fascinating to watch these changes, but there is not a "correct" weight. (Having said that, I generally log the lowest weight I take on any given morning, but I also keep an eye on my clothed late afternoon/early evening weight as this is often what the nure/doctor will measure.)
  • alphastarz
    alphastarz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The right way is to choose one method and weigh-in time and stick to it, doesn't matter which besides preference. You are trying to capture fat loss changes on the scale, even though the scale also shows temporary weight changes from anything from water retention/dehydration to empty/full bowels. If you're a little ocd about it get a digital scale that logs automatically and takes averages or shows you trend weights because it can then statistically account for your typical daily fluctuations.
  • lchadwick3
    lchadwick3 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree with alphastarz. I usually get up in the morning, use the bathroom, have 2 glasses (16 oz) of water, get dressed, go for a run, then I'll shower and weigh right after the shower. Like she said, the key is being consistent and weighing at the same time every day. The morning is just easier because you haven't eaten anything yet and so it won't fluctuate because of what you happened to eat or drink. But like charmmeth said, depending on what you ate and how late the evening before, your weight could show that. But, if you avoid eating 2 hours before bed and weigh first thing, it should be a good gauge for you.
  • needtolosethatweight26
    needtolosethatweight26 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do weigh first thing in the morning. I am more concerned why do I see such a fluctuation within 1 hour. I can understand if it is a pound or less but I see a difference of 4 pounds. I am just wondering what is the reason for such a huge difference.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I can fluctuate up to 10lbs in any given day based on water retention. That's really what it comes down to. bowels can hold a couple of pounds, but your body will absorb and hold water for a number of different reasons (salt eaten, carbs eaten, TOM for women, muscle repair if you've excercised, just to name a few). Like other's have said, just pick a time to weigh and be consistent.

Also, weight loss IS NOT LINEAR!!! Meaning you may do the exact same thing every day and one week you'll loose 3 lbs, another you'll loose 1lb and another there may be no change or you may even gain a lb. The key is to not give up on yourself or the process. If you see a month with no changes, then it may be time to re-evaluate either your diet, your exercise or both.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Both and neither...you don't have a "real" weight...body weight isn't a static thing, it is variable throughout the day and from day to day for numerous reasons which is why it is lunacy to fixate on some specific number on the scale. Your "real" weight is basically a range.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    4lbs is a pretty epic bowel movement.

And that is all I can think of to say on the subject.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    double post.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I do weigh first thing in the morning. I am more concerned why do I see such a fluctuation within 1 hour. I can understand if it is a pound or less but I see a difference of 4 pounds. I am just wondering what is the reason for such a huge difference.

You mentioned you empty your bowels then weigh less. Ponder that for a moment.
  • needtolosethatweight26
    Options
    4lbs is a pretty epic bowel movement.

And that is all I can think of to say on the subject.

Haha yes. I don't even eat so much.
  • needtolosethatweight26
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

You mentioned you empty your bowels then weigh less. Ponder that for a moment.

I am sorry I didn't understand your comment/question/statement.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!