Need running friends...desperate!

Options
2»

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    After I joined MFP I found that running made weight loss easier and allowed me to eat more. So I ran a lot. One day I came home from an 8 mile run and opened the paper to see a half marathon for the next morning and wondered if I could do that. I came in second in my age class at 1:54:30. It was my first race and I loved the feeling of accomplishment. Now I enter every local race I can, not to win just for the fun of it. I think my favorite is the Thanksgiving 10K turkey trot. You get some crazy outfits for that one.
  • ssakcik
    ssakcik Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I did w7d1 this morning... I felt a bit like you did on wk6d3 but then I reminded myself that 6 weeks ago I couldn't even complete wk1d1... 60 seconds was too long to run. Wk1d1 was the only day I didn't follow the programmes to the letter. And now I can run for 25 minutes... Yes, my pace is slow (I work in km so will have to work out my pace in miles) but I'm running!

Be proud of youself! You're running! And I bet if you look back to 6 weeks ago you've come far. That's how I look at it when I feel that I could have run faster or further.
  • ssakcik
    ssakcik Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Oh and have x my km pace by 1.6 my mile pace comes up as 13 so you're faster than me lol
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Little by little is the key. Too many people want to be fast too fast. 12 is a good station pace. You are starting what is to hopefully be a long term relationship with running. Enjoy it, progress slowly and at all costs avoid injury.
    You can also use simple arithmetic when you are ready.. Reduce by 5 seconds per mile each week, as example, and after 20 weeks that will be a whole minute and 40 seconds faster. Adjust the pattern and pace as needed.
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    12 isn't bad at all! When I'm running halfs I do a 12:30. When I ran my first 5k and 10k, it was 13:00. I'm incorporating hills and speed work to help me become a better and faster runner.
  • sarnoldm
    sarnoldm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am overwhelmed by the messages of support from you all! Such a great boost for me when I was starting to feel a little bit frustrated. I have 7 weeks until my 5k run and have 1 mile to add to my training. Having listened to all your fantastic advice I will now focus on stamina and distance rather than speed. Will also continue to aim to lose weight gradually which will hopefully make things easier. Thank you once again
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're slow I'm a geriatric turtle.

According to my app, I'm averaging... 15-20 min/mile, though likely I'm actually slower. I have no idea what my actual rate is, since I'm still going through ~training, but I would be thrilled with a 12-minute mile. I'm... fairly certain my "run" is only minimally better than a walk.

As it is right now, I'll be happy to run 5K PERIOD... then maybe I'll worry about speed.
  • sarnoldm
    sarnoldm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reassurance! Yes I think running 5k needs to be my first goal...I am getting the idea that speed will come with time. I'm at 2.3 miles right now, 0.9 miles to go!!