dying in group fitness

Options
kea9f
kea9f Posts: 27 Member
I struggle with pushing myself enough to make any progress, because I'm in really bad shape and everything is a struggle, and I'm type A enough that I just cannot stand failing at things, so if I can't do it, I just won't. So I joined XSport and they have this group personal training thing I tried out today, and nearly died. I'm going to keep going and humiliating myself because I'll never get stronger on my own, but ya'll...it sucks. What can I do to get better at this as quickly as possible? I bought twice a week classes, because I know women can lose muscle in a week, and plan to space them out as evenly as possible, and next class I'm going to try and modify more of the moves so I'm not struggling quite as hard. But seriously - I am like falling out of even the beginner moves because I have no muscles. I am going to have to keep it lighter the other 5 days of the week, but I think I still have to work out...What should I be doing on those days? Just something really light like elliptical or walking, or would working in lighter strength training help?

Any constructive advice would be helpful - I feel like if I can't do this I will never be in shape!!

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. At my first BodyPump class, I was using the lowest possible weight and barely keeping up. A month later, I've upped my weight in several areas and can do all the reps (except pushups--still having trouble with those, but I can already do more than I could when I started). You just have to push through as much as you can. It WILL get better, I promise. It's not an overnight thing, though.

As to off days, walking, running, elliptical--any of those are good. You don't want to do strength training on back-to-back days (unless you're doing upper body one day and lower the next). I run/walk on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and do BodyPump on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Sunday is my rest day unless I know I can't get a run in on Monday, then I'll run/walk Sunday and rest on Monday. You need a rest day in there somewhere.

No matter what you're doing, whether it's cardio, strength training, whatever--you can't go from not exercising to expecting to keep up with everyone else right off the bat. You need to only compete against yourself by working to do a little more each time. DON'T compare yourself to others, especially ones that have been doing the class for months or maybe even years. It's like expecting some skinny dude who's never exercised to keep up with the Rock in one of his workouts! Don't do that to yourself!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @kea9f Well, you are a brave woman to attempt something so challenging to start out. If you stick with it and talk with the group leader I am sure you can succeed. I started Jazzercise which incorporates cardio and strength training several years ago. I hated it so much that I vowed to quit every week. I couldn't get through the routines without having to take a break or dumb it way down. Now I go to 5 classes a week and challenge myself to jump a little higher, lift a little more and keep on dancing. So glad I stuck with it. But I did hate it for the first 6 months until I got into better shape. Good Luck!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    kea9f wrote: »
    I struggle with pushing myself enough to make any progress, because I'm in really bad shape and everything is a struggle, and I'm type A enough that I just cannot stand failing at things, so if I can't do it, I just won't.

If you're in bad shape, you don't have to struggle to make an improvement. You're in the "low hanging fruit" stage, enjoy it while you can! If you stick with this a while you'll get to the point of diminishing returns but for now progress should come easily.

Here's how it works: when you exercise, you're damaging your muscles. Your body understands that it needs to get stronger. That happens - building your muscles back, stronger than before - while you rest. What should you do between classes? Make sure you get enough rest to recover fully!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm with everyone else--at first do what you can do, and then push yourself to do a little more everyweek. You'll find that the best way to not be overwhelmed is to break things up and work on small victories. It'll take at least a month to see progress, but it will come, and in a year...well, that's up to you.
  • kea9f
    Options
    Thank you so much for the responses! I actually feel much better, and this is really helpful advice. I'll stick with it then, maybe up my protein and calories a little to make recovery easier, and keep it really light on the off days. Seriously, THANK YOU!
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If it's difficult, then you know you're doing it right. The only shortcut is consistent effort over time. You're on the right path. Your only job now is to stick to it.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    One thing I found helpful in group classes that I didn't see mentioned---

get out of the back of the class!
    I find myself comparing myself to other people in the class instead of just focusing on what I was trying to do. Making yourself move forward keeps these people out of your line of sight and makes it harder to play the comparison game.
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I always felt like the biggest most useless blob in group classes but speak to the instructor get modified moves ( do not be embarrassed everyone starts somewhere)

Also you have muscles EVERYONE has muscles you just don't have insane amounts of strengths YET ...

Make sure you are well hydrated and had proper food before hand, makes huge difference for me.

As for twice a week that shouldn't be a problem at all you could likely do three as long as you get two days between strength but you could add in some cardio or maybe something like yoga or Pilates another day will help you with flexibility, balance and control which will only add to your fitness.

Don't try rush this , you will get stronger but fitness isn't a two week thing.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. Adjust as needed. Go slower, do all the easier progressions, and don't worry about competing with anyone other than yourself. Also you aren't going to lose muscle in a week. Yes 2x a week is more effective than 1, but not because you'll lose everything.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I bought twice a week classes, because I know women can lose muscle in a week,

what do you mean by that?
  • sarahearra
    sarahearra Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I take the X-It classes too and they are brutal. I definitely threw up after my first one. It does get better as you stick with it. I agree with the posts above, compete with yourself, not others. The calorie burn comparisons at the end are skewed b/c max heart rate is only based on age, which is not very accurate. Also, guys always burn more calories because of general male metabolism and generally higher weight. Try to make friends with some of the other people in your classes and use them to motivate you rather than competing. Also, if your gym offers the TRX/Kettleball or boxing options, give those a try too for your second weekly class. Boxing is my favorite.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My favorite Zig Ziglar quote: "Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly--until you can learn to do it well." Everyone sucks when they start. You win by showing up and trying.

Also, if you don't like a particular class or instructor, just find another one. There are about a million options out there. The important thing is to do something.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Okay, you're a type A so time to change up your mindset. Repeat to yourself: practice makes easy, easy makes fun, there's no perfect. Focus on your exercise and how your body is working through it and not on your "miles per gallon."

On one or two of your off days you could pick some cardio you enjoy the most and only increase the intensity if you think it's become too easy.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I started a few months ago in my first group class, which is like an orange theory class. I am obese and never had done any real work outs, and it killed me! My heart rate was at 97% of my max in a minute of walking on the treadmill! It was hard to stick with it, but I'm glad I did, ive improved so much. The big thing was I stopped worrying about other people. My joints don't like to treadmill, so I do the cardio on a bike, and I'm the only one to ever do that. I can't do some of the exercises, so I have the trainers give me modifications for them. I stopped worrying aboit competiting with anyone else, and because of that, I have managed to improve myself so much more than I has thought I'd be able to! Keep at it and only worry about doing better than what you could do before. =)
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I struggle with pushing myself enough to make any progress, because I'm in really bad shape and everything is a struggle, and I'm type A enough that I just cannot stand failing at things, so if I can't do it, I just won't. So I joined XSport and they have this group personal training thing I tried out today, and nearly died. I'm going to keep going and humiliating myself because I'll never get stronger on my own, but ya'll...it sucks. What can I do to get better at this as quickly as possible? I bought twice a week classes, because I know women can lose muscle in a week, and plan to space them out as evenly as possible, and next class I'm going to try and modify more of the moves so I'm not struggling quite as hard. But seriously - I am like falling out of even the beginner moves because I have no muscles. I am going to have to keep it lighter the other 5 days of the week, but I think I still have to work out...What should I be doing on those days? Just something really light like elliptical or walking, or would working in lighter strength training help?

Any constructive advice would be helpful - I feel like if I can't do this I will never be in shape!!

I'm going to tell you a few things.
    #1 don't be embarrassed to modify movements. I've been working out for six months straight and I don't modify my movements, but I scale a good portion of them. But at the same time if you can do a couple of full strength movements, but not an entire workout then start with the hardest and shed weight (scale) or modify it after you get tired. That's a great way to get better faster.
    #2 Stop being so hard on yourself. You have muscles, they're just not used to the movements you're doing with them. You got off your *kitten* and went to your class. Let's be real, that's more than most people can say. You're making positive steps in the right direction to make yourself healthier and stronger. It took you a long time to get out of shape, getting back into shape isn't going to happen overnight. So get in there and workout. It's going to suck and fyi it's never going to get easier. You are going to get stronger and better, but the workouts will still be just as hard because you'll be doing more weight or more advanced movements, etc.
    #3 I do CrossFit, so I know a thing or a thousand about feeling like you're going to die during a workout. So what I do is I throw myself on the floor when the workout is done and just lay there for a little while. Maybe until my heart rate chills out, or I catch my breath, or just until I feel like getting up and putting my *kitten* away. I also grunt to give myself the extra umph.
    #4 Suck it up. If being healthy and in shape was comfortable you wouldn't be in the position you're in. Amazing things never happen in your comfort zone.
    #5 You are a beautiful, strong woman and your body is your temple. Treat your body like that and it will make leaps and bounds that you never thought possible. Just give it a month or two to show you how strong and prosperous it really is. I'm amazed at how strong I have become in 6 months. I'm able to do things I thought would take years to do. My body never stops impressing me. Even on it's bad days (like today)!
    #6 You're going to have bad workouts. I had one just today! My legs were just tired and I noticed it as soon as I started warming up. This is going to happen to you. It happens to everybody. Some days you're just not feeling it. Those are days you're really going to feel like you're dying. It's hard! Just yesterday I did a 200 m warm up lap, I did jump rope and 20" box jumps and I had so much energy. Today I could barely get the 200m run it. I just felt tired and out of breath. Don't let your off days derail your progress. When you're working out and just not feeling it, finish your workout and know that you'll feel better in a day or a few.

Finally, if you're only doing 2 days I would definitely be working out more. I would avoid further strength training until your body gets used to the classes, but I would definitely get a couple miles of walking in, maybe start the c25k to help your metabolic conditioning. Then I would take one day of complete rest.
  • kea9f
    Options
    I bought twice a week classes, because I know women can lose muscle in a week,

what do you mean by that?

I read, I think in Shape maybe, that women start to lose muscle mass in 7 days without a working. What I took from that is that the goal is to get the same muscle more than once in 7 days. But it turns out I know a lot less about fitness than I thought I did so I could be wrong.
  • kea9f
    Options
    sarahearra wrote: »
    I take the X-It classes too and they are brutal. I definitely threw up after my first one. It does get better as you stick with it. I agree with the posts above, compete with yourself, not others. The calorie burn comparisons at the end are skewed b/c max heart rate is only based on age, which is not very accurate. Also, guys always burn more calories because of general male metabolism and generally higher weight. Try to make friends with some of the other people in your classes and use them to motivate you rather than competing. Also, if your gym offers the TRX/Kettleball or boxing options, give those a try too for your second weekly class. Boxing is my favorite.

it actually does but I thought those might be harder so I'm a little intimated...I'll consider that next week though, thank you!
  • kea9f
    Options
    Finally, if you're only doing 2 days I would definitely be working out more. I would avoid further strength training until your body gets used to the classes, but I would definitely get a couple miles of walking in, maybe start the c25k to help your metabolic conditioning. Then I would take one day of complete rest.

This is super helpful, thank you - I will do this. I haven't been doing my normal cardio this week because I was so sore, I was worried it would make me worse off. And thank you for the rest of the advice too! I will suck it up and go back tomorrow, but I might re-read this thread for courage before I go...