Exercise Hater, Here

Options
I want to love it, but I don't. I want to want to do it, but I don't.

I know that I just need to do it. Every single time I employ a tactic I think will work - schedule a specific time, sign up for classes through work, wake up at dawn, etc. - I come up with an excuse to not do it. Every. Single. Time.

So, any advice for me, especially if you're a reformed fitness hater? A little background: have never been athletic in my life, ever. Am a 32 year old female who works a full-time desk job and likes to spend as much of her free time with her husband and young daughter as possible. I don't even really know what workouts/exercises/activities I actually like, because I haven't done a whole lot of them (yoga is nice, but not exactly heart-pumping). A gym membership could theoretically fit in my finances, but I am afraid that I will just be throwing money away, given my track record.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise. So you probably don't have to exercise. A lot of people hate it and just eat less to meet their goals. (I'm assuming your goal is to lose weight because that's what 90 % of people are here for.)

Walking is exercise. It isn't heart pumping, like yoga, not all exercise is. But it gets you out in the fresh air. Same applies to riding a bike, and it's fun.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I hate 'exercise', but I like 'activity'.

Is there something you do that you enjoy that is active? I go for the 'sneaky exercise' idea - I dance, I hike, I swim, all of them are active but not necessarily under the category of 'exercise'.

You want to spend time with your husband and daughter, so maybe look at things that involve them - messing around in the park, going for walks, going for bike rides (I personally think being outside is one of the BEST things you can ever do).

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I walk for fun or rather hike. Fresh air and sunshine, good for the soul. Exercise is not necessary for weight loss, a calorie deficit is.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    A couple possibilities

Get a FitBit or some other activity tracker. Work toward a 10,000 step a day goal. That probably won't get you fit, and likely won't increase your fitness level......but it's something. Sitting 8 hours a day is deadly (I'm a desk jockey too).

Another idea is a very small goal. I started with 60 minutes per week (3x20, 4x15, 6x10....whatever). I logged it in a spreadsheet, but you can mark a calendar.....anything to keep yourself accountable. Kept trying new things.....YouTube is great for this. I can stand 10 minutes of (almost) anything. After awhile I found things I liked more than others. Then exercise became more "routine," and I added more minutes. I like that exercise helps me sleep better, and gives me more stamina.
  • ChxSurf782
    ChxSurf782 Posts: 169 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise...yet, the benefits of exercise go beyond weight loss. Find something - anything - you like (or can tolerate) and find a way to make it fun. You don't have to be a marathoner, body builder, or yoga queen to be fit.

If you don't enjoy what you're doing, or at least get addicted to the afterglow of a punishing workout, you'll never stick with it.

Hiking? Biking? Swimming? Paddling? Anything where you're in motion is key. Hope you find what you're looking for, but you have to make it a priority!!!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    So, any advice for me, especially if you're a reformed fitness hater? A little background: have never been athletic in my life, ever.

I think you simply have to accept that whatever you choose it is going to suck, at least for 3 months or so, and say "screw it, I'm going to do it anyway".

Given you've never been athletic before there will be a learning curve, which will be steep, which you will have to push through - learning new movements which may seem odd, dealing with a level of discomfort you are not used to, feeling out of place.

It will get better and you amaze yourself as to what you can achieve but only if you can look to the long term.

• genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I hate it.

Still. Over two years in, working out 6 days a week, and I freaking hate it. My favorite is strength training- and by favorite I mean don't dread but still would rather not.

I can't do the gym because it's too easy to not do. I can think of 2,953 not to get in the car and go.

I use FitnessBlender, my elliptical, jogging outside, and riding bikes with my kids.

The only thing that has worked for me is to pretend it's not optional and I have added it to my morning. I get up, get dressed to my shoes (so I don't have the excuse later), have one cup of coffee and half a banana, and then do it.

I have young kids, too (2.5 and 4.5) and on days I lift I set them up with a show, on the other days they either ride bikes with me or they are in a stroller for a walk/jog.

It has become easier to stick to because I get stronger, I see my butt get higher
  • TheLifeDetoxer
    TheLifeDetoxer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about getting a wii and doing some wii fit games?

From personal experience ( I used to hate working out also) starting is bloody horrible. But if you can find something fun your fitness level gets better without it feeling to much effort.

Once you're abit more used to it things like the gym seem less daunting

Would defo start with fitting in as much walking as you can and if you can fit it in with family time it'll be easier to fit in.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When you say you hate it, are you being overly restrictive about what you consider exercise? What about things like dancing, walking, biking? I would maybe try to see if you can do some active family activities, like a family walk (don't know how old your daughter is, but pushing a stroller can be good exercise) or bike or just all going outside to play around. Maybe a dance class (couples) or combine a brisk walk with a book on tape or something you don't normally get a chance to do for some on your own time. Yoga is fine -- doesn't need to be heart pumping, especially to start.
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i loathe exercise. seriously. i wish so much that i could say that i enjoy it, but i really don't and i suspect i never will.

i got a gym membership because i'm cheap and hate wasting money more than i hate exercising. in order to further guarantee i go to the gym, i bring my gym bag with me to work, get changed at work, and go straight to the gym (do not pass 'go', do not collect $200 LOL). i work at a desk all day and honestly, by the time i'm done with work, i'm ready to move around...so i guess it's the best time for me to work out, all things considered. on the plus side also, i'm home and done by 5pm.

i've noticed that, by being more active, i want to be more active. not like "let's throw in an extra spinning class" active, but like i find myself urging family members to go for a walk, bike ride, etc., so that's very pleasing to me.

good luck to you :-)
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, everyone. Glad I am not alone. :-)

I do love being outside, but it's usually on the patio with a beer in my hand. But I think taking the kiddo for a walk would be great for both of us, and DH too if he wants to come along. @TheLifeDetoxer - I hadn't thought about the WiiFit before. We have a PS4 and could get the Move. Not a gamer myself, but I'll look into it.

To clarify, I know that to lose weight, I just need to be at a calorie deficit, which I have been doing fairly consistently since January. I have lost some weight, and have about 20 more pounds until my goal, but I don't want to be "skinny fat". I'd also like to have the benefits that come with exercise, such as more energy, better sleep, overall better health, etc.

I got a Fitbit for Mother's Day, and it has been a simultaneously eye-opening and depressing experience. I need to move more, and I have a plan for doing that at work now - a lap around the building whenever I go to the ladies' room, which is approximately once per hour since I drink all the water.

Thanks again, everyone!
  • TheLifeDetoxer
    TheLifeDetoxer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @LuckyNumbers good luck! Let us know how it goes!

When I started working out it really helped to remind myself that I'm not in competition with anyone but the person I was yesterday

Cheesy I know, but it kept my spirits up when starting and stopped me comparing myself to others and getting despondent :smile: xx
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am nearly 50 and have been "skinny fat" ALL of my adult life. I've never enjoyed exercise. I could never make it a habit.

When I quit smoking and then quit vaping, the scale slowly but surely creeped up. Then there are all the age-related changes that come with not being fit.

In February of this year, I decided to get a free trial membership at the gym. I wanted to see if I could possibly create a habit. Coincidentally, the gym was starting a group competition thing just a few days later. I ultimately decided that this was just the push I needed -- to be accountable to a team along with being accountable to myself. Our competition just ended a few days ago and I am happy to say that 90 days of hard work and the results I got ABSOLUTELY created the dedication and motivation to keep going that I have been looking for my whole life. Now, it feels pretty firm in my brain and body that the gym is not an option. Like another poster, I plan my route home so that the gym is on my way and I plan to continue to go 5-7 days per week.

So, maybe having a workout/accountability friend would help - whether you exercise at home or at a gym. Maybe committing to a shorter window -- 30 or 60 days of true effort and hard work to see how you do would help.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    "LuckyNumbers;10392028"

So, any advice for me, especially if you're a reformed fitness hater? A little background: have never been athletic in my life, ever. Am a 32 year old female who works a full-time desk job and likes to spend as much of her free time with her husband and young daughter as possible.

Are there things you can do together as a family? Hiking, biking, family swim time at the local Y?

• Gwinny2016
    Gwinny2016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi

I was (and still am pretty much) like you. Not an athlete, would love the physique but despise the work that it takes to get it. Summer days = beer. I'm with you.

One day I decided to learn to run. I was at a race the same weekend (my hubby is a runner) and watched, in absolute awe, these women who were fairly-to-extremely overweight but running 10k races and completing them. And still smiling, and breathing etc. Awesome. I wanted that!

I don't do gyms, don't want the constraints of certain times/days for classes, and don't wanna pay for torture to be honest. So. Running will give good results. Fast. And you'll get a tan at the same time. Yay!

I went onto Bupa Training and downloaded the "couch to 5k" programme. I followed it religiously and found that I could actually do it, as it starts off reeeaaally easy. Almost to the point that you wanna skip a few but don't! It's all part of the wondrous plan. I can now run 4 miles, no more or my knees will disintegrate but I feel and look great (if I say so myself!)

Go and do it. If you want good results, fast and a feel good factor, running is the bees knees. I asked an orthopaedic surgeon about ill effects of running on knees, back etc. He told me he'd rather people did exercise than not, as doing nothing is more damaging. So there you go.

Good luck! xxx
  • Cyriatan
    Cyriatan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have come to like exercise with time but because I learnt to focus it on a new light. There was a time I could not run 5k. That's terrible. I'm 25yo. I just couldn't stand that. Why? Because I want to be fit, I want to be healthy. Why? Because being healthy is the fundamental aspect to ANY life you want to live. I'm pretty sure very few people imagines a desirable feature where they can't walk, they can't talk. We all imagine we'll be somewhat healthy. With some autonomy. Every single life I desire for myself, every opportunity I think I'd grab involves being somewhat healthy. Health does not depend only on yourself. You may exercise, you may eat healthy : maybe in 10 years you won't walk. Maybe you'll be dead. But there's a % that's your responsability. I can't stand being the person that let life pass and never did anything to ensure that I could be FREE. Now every time I run I know I'm running for my freedom. For my future. It's not that I think this every time I work out, but I know why I'm working out and it fills me with energy, in my mind exercise is connected to so many important things. What I do think every time I leave the gym is "I like who I am right now".

Another thing that works for me is this: every time you give yourself excuses you're not putting all of your effort to share more time, and more quality time with your loved ones. That's something that also fuels me. I don't have kids yet but I FOR SURE want to be there for them and I wouldn't allow myself to not be my best self if I decide I'm going to assume such a big responsability, I'm really terrified of having kids and dying when they're still not full adults or just not being able to play with them to the fullest because I'm sick, weak, etc. I fear that and will do everything in my hand to avoid it and it includes being healthy now, from my 20s onwards. I feel the same about dying earlier than my parents, or just not making such a little effort -some hours each week- for my loved ones, including myself. I'm not like that, it's not who I want to be. Etc.

This just works for me but what I mean is that for me I didn't have a clear motivation to strive and give it all. I did exercise because "I want to be attractive" "It's healthy", blah, blah...I just "had to", because we all should, don't we? With time I came to feel all these really in my gut and now I just feel I'm taking care of myself in a broad sense when I work out. And I came to LOVE feeling alive and free when doing exercise, whatever exercise, I just enjoy using my body in any way. Hell now I even run, I used to HATE those running tests in high school, running was the worst. Now I easily run 5k and I'm focusing in speed...maybe thinking a bit more about your motivation will do the trick as it did with me :) I think most don't enjoy exercise per se, but they like the person they're when they do it, for several reasons.

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Keep trying new things until you find something you enjoy or at least don't hate. Think outside the square. There and thousands of different ways to get active and you can't possibly hate them all. Make it social, with friends, your partner or your kids. That way if you end up not liking it you're at least in good company. Aim to try one new thing a month and stick to if for a month. Try making exercise purposeful - ride, walk or run to work. Always focus on how good you'll feel afterwards.

Exercise may not be essential for weight loss but it is for good general health. A little bit of time put in now will increase your chances of spending more good quality time with your family down the track.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I used to hate exercise. Now I can go to the gym without bribing myself but I still prefer activities to working out. I recommend doing things you think are fun. Such as hiking, kayaking, rock climbing, walking places, dancing, swimming, biking, etc. Basically anything that gets you moving. It's a plus if you can do it with other people because the social aspect helps with motivation too.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8JbTKR50rk

She's using a 15lb kettlebell. Start with something smaller. Much smaller. If this isn't inspirational I'll direct you to the obituary page of your local newspaper. Read about the young people. Better yet, look into your own high school class and find out who has already died and what they died of. I predict that at least one of them was a slim young girl who died of complications from obesity.

You can't start at her level of conditioning, but you also can't start toward your conditioning if you don't

start.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    How old is your young daughter? Can family bike together? Play soccer? walk the dog? go swimming?