Intermittent Fasting

Options
Good day to all:

I know there is a thread about Intermittent Fasting, but I wanted to inquire to the general board to get more feedback.

We have all been told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and to not starve yourself...in order to keep the metabolism working.

Any thoughts on fasting? I have been reading about the 16 hour fast, then 8 hours of feed. That works with my schedule.

I have a cousin who has leaned out, abs, shredded with intermittent fasting. She does eat whole feeds, and exercises.

Thanks.

Replies

• 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There's good science behind IF. I'd encourage you to watch Dr. Mark Mattson's youtube videos, he knows what he's talking about. Whether you can make it work for you is easier said than done. A lot of people just can't not eat for that long, try as they might.

I love it and it works great for me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    IF is merely establishing an "eating window." But, weight loss is ALWAYS about calories in vs. calories out. If this style of eating helps you stay consistent, then it works for you. If this style of eating helps makes you cranky and leads to binges, then it doesn't work for you.

Skipping breakfast won't stop (or slow) your metabolism.

Here's a link to the group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    hello - i was overweight and lost 60 lbs by working-out at the gym, doing cardio, watching my food intake, and doing I.F. i did an 18/6 method. i loved it and it worked VERY well for me. i ended up gaining my weight back after a pregnancy (loss) + two surgeries, and i can't get back into IF for some reason. it's not agreeing with me like last time. i used to work-out fasted (plus i would have BCAA before hitting the gym, then protein shake/bar directly after work-out) but now i feel faint if i try that. i think i am going to ease back into it, doing a 12/12, then a 14/7, then moving to a 16/8 then finally get back to 18/6 if i can. :smile:
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    double post
  • markswife1992
    Options

You blithely say this, but the whole idea of the science of IF is that there's more going on than that. And this is real science, not bro science.

^^i agree with this^^
    there are some hormonal things that go along with I.F. that go beyond simply CICO. i used to be really well educated on it when i did it before, will have to get out my school books again. :smile:
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    IF is merely establishing an "eating window." But, weight loss is ALWAYS about calories in vs. calories out.

You blithely say this, like everybody here says it, but the whole idea of the science of IF is that there's more going on than that. And this is real science, not bro science.

So you are saying that if your maintenance is 2000 calories and you IF and eat 2500 calories, you will not gain or possibly even lose weight due to some special property of IF ?

Please enlighten us.
  • michelleborda1
    michelleborda1 Posts: 8 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thank you all for your insight on this. When I was my most comfortable weight, I did intermittent fasting which many thought was starvation, it just didn't have a real name back then. I was "schooled" instead to eat every few hours, small meals, clean, years ago.

I have that pesky 7 pounds I want to lose. I have been reading up on this and purchased a book from Lyle McDonald after I watched his one hour youtube that touches upon women, weight, and IF.

When you do the fasting, does it exclude coffee? I am talking black, with a tiny bit of cream, half a cup to get the morning started.

Thanks again.

• hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »
    IF is merely establishing an "eating window." But, weight loss is ALWAYS about calories in vs. calories out.

You blithely say this, like everybody here says it, but the whole idea of the science of IF is that there's more going on than that. And this is real science, not bro science.

So you are saying that if your maintenance is 2000 calories and you IF and eat 2500 calories, you will not gain or possibly even lose weight due to some special property of IF ?

Please enlighten us.

More like you'll get slightly better results from running a 500 deficit compared to a regular eating schedule.
  • markswife1992
    Options

Please enlighten us.

well i think everyone has enough common sense to know that if you eat 10,000 calories a day and do I.F. that you will gain. it's just another tool in your arsenal.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    When you do the fasting, does it exclude coffee? I am talking black, with a tiny bit of cream, half a cup to get the morning started.

Yes, coffee with creamer is the only thing that I have from when I wake up to about 1:00pm (outside of sparkling water, which I drink constantly). My first meal is a pretty light one (usually a frozen Amy's meal) and dinner is heavier, lots of veggies and a good portion of protein.

And I save room in my daily calories for that one mixed drink in the evenings, too - Maxing out around 1250 calories per day.

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I've done IF in one form or another since 2012. Meal timing is irrelevant in terms of weight loss. How many calories you consume is the important thing.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    hhazzouri wrote: »

Please enlighten us.

More like you'll get slightly better results from running a 500 deficit compared to a regular eating schedule.

Research proves otherwise. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21410865

Taking overall caloric intake into account, there won't be any real statistical difference. I am not discounting IF as that is the diet protocol some have found they can utilize to adhere to their diet. And as others have stated, it's a tool available for use. But to say it has some special bio-hacking properties which cause faster or more weightloss comparatively to some other diet that creates the same deficit has not been proven in studies.

If you can link to real studies stating otherwise, please respond accordingly, as I, as well as I'm sure others, are always open to new evidence.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I fast from 1030pm to 830am. Except on weekends. Then I fast from midnight till 830. It has worked wonders for me.
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You should check out Martin Berkhan (leangains.com) and Lyle McDonald (bodyrecomposition.com)... both have a huge amount of information. If you like understanding the why, etc... check them out. Love reading both of them.

And here's Berkhan on Top Ten Fasting Myths. He talks about the myth that skipping breakfast is damaging to your metabolism or will cause you to be overweight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat breakfast, but when I do, it's delicious :D