fueling before a workout

Options
OK, I need suggestions. I have PCOS/insulin resistance. Sometimes I have to work out in the morning before work (have to start my workout by 5:30 am). I roll out of bed at 5:00, throw on my workout clothes and go. I need something quick and easy to fuel me up for the workout. I'm not one to want to eat a lot that early in the morning, but if I don't eat something, I don't work out as hard. Some days it's BodyPump class, but other days it's a run/walk (still in the early stages) and I don't want something that's going to slosh around in my stomach while running. Any ideas?

Replies

• ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I always just have a smoothie. some chocolate sport milk to go (chocolate milk with added protein), some powdered peanut butter that has added pea protein, a banana, and a few teaspoons of instant coffee for my morning caffiene.
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I do not have a problem with insulin resistance, but I get up at 445 am every day to work out. I don't have the ability to work out during the day, and mentally I prefer to do it early in the morning anyway. It's a great way to start the day. I eat a banana and have a protein shake before I go (ten or so ounces of water). It isn't a lot of calories, but it is fast and is enough to get me through my workouts. I never have that sloshing feeling from that. When I finish I immediately have one more protein shake, and steel cut oats with almond milk and blueberries or something.
  • vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    What about a banana?
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I thought about having my protein shake first. I'll pick up some bananas too. I love them, and they are a quick sugar rush. And natural fruit sugars are fine. I may try just adding some fruit to almond milk and blending it up. I can even do that the night before so I can just grab it from the fridge on my way out the door.

Thanks for the ideas!