almond vs. soy milk

Options
which do you like better? which is better for you?

i like both :) i feel like soy milk has more nutrition in it though, but i could be wrong.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Can't stand soy milk, but I very much enjoy almond milk.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I love both as well! Depends on my mood. Not sure which is better though as I've read varying opinions on the subject. :(

I just drink both & alternate them!

Good luck!

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • pjol79
    pjol79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Almond, bit I really don't like soy. >< I personally drink Rice Dream, my dad got me onto it and it's great for my shakes, cereals and cooking.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Well I don't do soy because I already have Thyroid issues and Soy is not good for the Thyroid. I like the unsweetened Almond milk. It is really good. Taste almost like regular milk to me.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    I hate the taste of soy milk, so I do a lot of almond milk. But neither are necessarily bad for you, so just keep mixing and matching! :)
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Love Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk ~ 40 cals a cup vs 100 for my unsweetened soy milk. I prefer it in my cereal and protein shakes. Tend to stick with the soy milk if I'm substituting for regular milk in a recipe. The soy has more protein in it, but I get enough in the shakes I make, plus it's more calories...
  • kittykittykool
    Options
    I drink almond milk. I'm a very skeptical person who likes things to be scientifically grounded, so I encourage you to do some research yourself on this but soy and soy milk has naturally occurring phytoestrogen, which is essentially estrogen. I used to drink tons of soy milk because I have problems with lactose, but as I researched more I discovered that too much of these plant based hormones can have the same effects as say the hormones found in birth control... and that is weight gain! The estrogen can POSSIBLY contribute to people gaining more weight, as with other estrogen based things such as birth control or hormone replacement therapy.

These things have been linked to soy milk in ample quantities, I used to drink about 3 cups a day of soy milk and that is when I noticed weight gain (and my breasts getting larger as well, which is another side effect of estrogen intake). I have since stopped and only drink almond milk, the original, which is only 40 calories per cup. I also think it has a better taste, but that's up to preference. I do on occasion reach for the vanilla soy just because I like the sweetness of it, but only occasionally. If you just can give up the soy milk, then I would suggest only 1 serving per day or so.

Good luck!
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I love me some almond silk...that chocolate one is great, I love it but rarely get to have it because we found out this year my daughter is allergic to chocolate. :frown: So if we have it in the house she will nag for it and drives me nuts ha ha So I just stopped getting it just regular and vanilla now :)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time I read some really biased and likely untrue information about negative effects of soy. Therefore I have really biased and likely false thoughts about soy! I eat it as rarely as I can, which for me, is nearly never.

But I absolutely love almond milk. I like the Silk: Almond milk brand. They have amazing flavors that are very low calorie. I substitute almond milk in all things that you might use cow milk for. I use it in recipes, in cereal, use it for mixing up my protein powder.

I love it so much! :)
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Love Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk ~ 40 cals a cup vs 100 for my unsweetened soy milk. I prefer it in my cereal and protein shakes. Tend to stick with the soy milk if I'm substituting for regular milk in a recipe. The soy has more protein in it, but I get enough in the shakes I make, plus it's more calories...

I agree!~ I love this brand!... it's the only one i'll drink. I've never been a milk lover to begin with. Can't even stand the smell of regular milk, but the Blue Diamond Almond milk has no smell to me. Never tried soy, and doubt i ever will.:drinker:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I avoid all things soy as much as I can. I don't like the business behind it, much of the soy grown is GMO so I'm all for avoiding it.

Almond milk though, someone posted a "make your own" home recipe for it so I'll be looking forward to trying that.