Share your avocado recipes please!

Options
rskidmore
rskidmore Posts: 212
I would really love to eat more avocado. I love sushi and it is often used in sushi, so that's how i was introduced to it.

Does anyone have any recipes that include avocado?

Replies

• countrygrlpdx
    Options
    I like mine on triscuits/crackers. Or with a chicken taco... yum!
  • Katie320
    Katie320 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love avocados and will put them in salads and on sandwiches/burgers (instead of mayo and cheese). I've made this delicious salad from Gina's Skinny Taste website:http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/05/zesty-lime-shrimp-and-avocado-salad.html. It was so good and fast.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    when you use avocado, they oxidize so quickly and turn brown. If you mush them up use a little lemon juice and this will stop this process. If you slice them and want to use them slice sprinkle lemon juice to keep them nice and green.

I like to smash them with a little lemon juice, with chili powder, cumin, paprika and salt (all to taste) you can add a little sour cream or nonfat yoguart to add to the creamyness and a little diced tomato onion and cilantro to taste.

This is how our latin nanny used to use them when I was a child.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Sandwich/Burrito
    - 1/2 cup egg beaters, cooked
    - 20 grams avocado, sliced or mashed
    - 2 slices light wheat bread, toasted or low calorie tortilla
    - optional veggies
    Combine and enjoy!

Make a large sugar free chocolate pudding with skim milk and add a mashed avocado for extra creaminess and nutrients... (use food processor for smooth texture)

Some people also make avocado ice cream, add it to their smoothies, homemade guacamole, etc.

Hope this helps!
  • DRJJ2004
    DRJJ2004 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I make my own guacamole and put it on my hamburger. I had it that way at a restaurant once and loved it!!!

Mush up an avacado
    Add: diced onion
    clove of garlic - maybe less depending on your taste
    1/2 to 3/4 of a diced roma tomato
    a little bit of lime juice (about 1 T or so.)
    salt & pepper

Love, love, love it!!!
  • KetoDebbie912
    KetoDebbie912 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    mmmm.. I love avocado. For a quick guacamole I buy fresh, pre-made pico from Whole foods and mix in with mashed avocado. Use in wraps or as a dip for veggies etc.

Another great recipe is green goddess dressing using lowfat mayo or veganaise, avocado, green onion and garlic to taste and a dash of milk or almond milk.. play around with the spices you like and you will LOVE this dressing.
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I just slice it up, add a dash of salt and a few squirts of lemon juice and eat it just like that along with whatever else I'm having for that particular meal.
  • siennacookie
    Options
    This is one of my favorate recipes:

Crab & Avocado Salad

¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon chopped roasted red pepper (from a jar)
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 pound lump crabmeat
    1 large ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut into ¼ inch cubes
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine cilantro, mayonnaise, red pepper, lime juice, and cayenne in a medium mixing bowl. Mix in crabmeat and season with salt and pepper. Gently fold in avocado and serve.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nic0522
    Nic0522 Posts: 38
    Options
    Today for lunch I had 2 pc of boar's head turkey on a 100 cal 7 grain deli flat. I put a spoon of mayo on the bottom and smooshed up half an avocado on the top. Really yummy.

I also make a quick salad - cut up an avocado and a ripe tomato, mix with a bit of diced red onion, a little olive oil, and squeeze in half a lemon or lime. Kind of like guacamole but chunkier. Love it with grilled shrimp or fish.
  • rachelllk
    rachelllk Posts: 63
    Options
    if you want it for the flavor it goes really well on sandwiches, turkey burgers, any mexican food, etc. but I highly recommend using it in desserts, especially chocolate ones :) it adds so much richness to healthy recipes that makes it seem like you're "cheating"
  • eamjohnson
    eamjohnson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you love avocado and you love sushi, this is what you need to have: the Spicy Tuna Wrap.

Here's the link for the recipe: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/spicy_tuna_wrap.html

It's healthy, has avocado, and dipped in a little bit of low-sodium soy sauce, it reminds me so strongly of sushi it makes me want to hit up my favorite sushi joint. No kidding.

Also, FYI, I have idea where to find watercress, and I've never looked, so I use spinach instead.

Enjoy!
  • elizabeths17
    elizabeths17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love avocado sliced on top of a black bean veggie burger and a low cal flax pita or bagel flat.
    I also really love guacamole and if you toast pine nuts and sprinkle them on top of homemade guac it is a delicious little treat that adds an awesome crunch. Just be careful because pine nuts can burn really easily in the oven! Happened to me more than once!! :)
  • elizabeths17
    elizabeths17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love avocado sliced on top of a black bean veggie burger and a low cal flax pita or bagel flat.
    I also really love guacamole and if you toast pine nuts and sprinkle them on top of homemade guac it is a delicious little treat that adds an awesome crunch. Just be careful because pine nuts can burn really easily in the oven! Happened to me more than once!! :)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I just posted this one earlier, was a big hit with my husband who is WAY picky. (credit to www.skinnytaste.com)

Zesty Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad

Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 7/8 cup • Old Points: 4 pt • Points+: 5 pt
    Calories: 210.4 • Fat: 9.2 g • Protein: 25.1 g • Carb: 7.8 g • Fiber: 3.6 g • Sugar: 0.6
    Sodium without salt: 260.8 mg

1 lb jumbo cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined, chopped*
    1 medium tomato, diced
    1 hass avocado, diced
    1 jalapeno, seeds removed, diced fine
    1/4 cup chopped red onion
    2 limes, juice of
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 tbsp chopped cilantro
    salt and fresh pepper to taste

In a small bowl combine red onion, lime juice, olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper. Let them marinate at least 5 minutes to mellow the flavor of the onion.

In a large bowl combine chopped shrimp, avocado, tomato, jalapeño. Combine all the ingredients together, add cilantro and gently toss. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Ahahaha, I guess I should have read the posts more closely, looks like Katie already posted this one! I think that means it's a keeper!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I use avocado anywhere I would use cheese/mayo. I love to mix cubed avocado with cubed cucumber and diced shrimp. Then I cut up Nori into 4ths and make handrolls with the filling. Add a little wasabi and soy sauce...yummm!
  • rskidmore
    rskidmore Posts: 212
    Options
    Thanks for all of your great suggestions!
  • houselady0791
    Options
    I cut up half an avocado into cubes and mix it with a 1/4 cup of lowfat cottage cheese. It's a great snack or lunch.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I LOVE avocado - it was the first food I ate as a baby and I never stopped!

That said, be aware that it is HIGH in calories and fat - good fat, but still very very high so be carefully using it willy nilly.

That said, here are some good thoughts not yet said:

cut in half, keep pit in one half and wrap it tightly after dripping a bit of lemon juice on it (use later) - cut the other half into cubes, still in the shell, and drizzle on some lemon juice so it coats everything. eat with a spoon - smile in between each bite.

wrap one slice of avocado with thin deli ham or turkey and enjoy

add as a salad topper

mush up, add in some chopped tomatoes, put into a pita with spinach, hummus, and enjoy

Welcome to avocado world ;-)