How do you season your food?

Options
spongebobelaine
spongebobelaine Posts: 14 Member
I'm right now just using black pepper and salt. I have tried some dried herbs but I really can't taste anything.
Any low calorie seasoning you can think of?
Thanks very much

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Check out the spice section of the grocery store and you'll see many seasoning mixes. I like Mrs. Dash (which is available in several flavors) because I'm watching my salt intake.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I agree Mrs. Dash makes great flavors. The only one I did not like was the original and/or the table blend. I used the extra spicy where I would use Cajun seasoning.

I grew up with salt, pepper, seasoned pepper, red pepper flakes and Tony Chachere's. That is what mom used most often. Now I make my own spice blends.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use Mrs. Dash as well in all the different spice varieties. They are Sodium free.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I tend to used fresh herbs and spices whenever possible. They have a more intense flavur than many dried ones and look nice in my kitchen widow.
    I still do have a large range of dried spices in my cupboard ranging from basics like cinnamon (love using that) to dried lavender. I tend to use a lot more of a variety now in spices. On the internet you can find a lot of information on how and what to use.
    I am consious of salt content and it is one of the reasons why I avoid commercial spice mixes as one of the main ingredients is often salt.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Fresh garlic & oregano!
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Garlic, ginger, smoked paprika and oregano are my favourites
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Turkish peppers (pul biber) in soups, sambal oelek, sambal brandal, with chicken - love them all.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Typically we only use sea salt for most things. My SO has crohn's and most seasonings cause a reaction for him, including pepper. Since I do the cooking, I make sure I use minimal seasoning for his portion and only break out the works when I'm cooking just for myself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm making...I have a whole cupboard dedicated to spices and herbs. What I use depends on what the dish is supposed to taste like.
  • spongebobelaine
    Options
    Thanks all!
    I don't live in the states but I will try to look for Mrs dash.
    I'm not good at gardening probably will kill the herbs :p
    Someone told me spicy sauce is low calorie but I don't know which one she is talking about. Is all spicy sauce low calorie?
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    there's a certain brand of Italian seasoning that I absolutely adore and will put on anything. I can't recall the brand right now. currently I have Mrs. Dash lemon pepper seasoning in the cupboard and it's quite good. I love lemon and lime on my food
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
    I don't live in the states but I will try to look for Mrs dash.
    I'm not good at gardening probably will kill the herbs :p
    Someone told me spicy sauce is low calorie but I don't know which one she is talking about. Is all spicy sauce low calorie?

Hot sauce while low in calories, is typically high in sodium. How about just adding some jalapenos instead?
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I love the salt free Mrs. Dash options. Also, as a wedding gift we got spices from a company called Penzey's. They offer a variety of spice blends, some with and some without salt. They are a mail order company so it doesn't matter as much where you live.

www.penzeys.com
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What are you cooking?
    Most spices or herbs are very low calorie so just experiment. Try different ethnic recipes.
    I have a cabinet full of spices. I use garlic and onions a lot in cooking.
    Vinegars, lemon juice, lime juice, salsa, hot sauce don't add many calories.
  • lovematthewchristopher
    lovematthewchristopher Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Club house sodium free vegetable seasoning, i put it on everything! I also use black pepper, cinnamon, sage, poultry seasoning, basil, oregano, garlic, and whatever else i can get my hands on. I love flavorful food, so i have a full cupboard dedicated to spices, and experiment a lot when i cook!
  • spongebobelaine
    Options
    Checked out Mrs dash website, their spice seems so delish. Too bad I cant get them in my country :(
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Look at penzeys website. They have the best, in my opinion.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    My favorite new veggie is this:
    Brussels sprouts with a little bacon fat and lemon-pepper grinder. Omgggg
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My staples for salads, veggies, beans and fish or meat are;
    - Salt
    - Pepper
    - Onion powder
    - Garlic powder
    - Smoked paprika (sometimes)

(- Fresh rosemary for white potatoes)

Keep adding until you think it tastes good.
    I also use onions whenever possible.
  • 64heyjude
    64heyjude Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Fresh Basil, oregano & italian flatleaf parsley. Fiesta brand lemon and herb seasoning is great on almost anything.