Macros and all that nutrient goodness.

Options
So I'm new to this and wondering about the importance of macros and what foods are best for each. I think I've got protein down but the others don't raise very much. Other than sugar but that's because I've been eating too much fruit haha.
And are there specific nutrients or vitamins I should look after? I'm taking a multivitamin just in case, but I know the best comes from food source.
My body is not yet used to the lack of calories, as I consumed thousands a day for a while, but I'm just making sure my body is still getting all the nutrients it needs :)

Replies

• kurbreezee
    kurbreezee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What are your goals may I ask? Dont worry too much about micronutrients as they play almost no effect in the grand scheme of things. Focus on hitting your protein numbers and then play around with carbs and fats until you find a happy medium. The two most important things are reaching your protein levels to synthesize or retain muscle and reaching your calories to ensure either fat loss, muscle growth or physique maintenance. Hope that helps
  • its_laura_btw
    its_laura_btw Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you! And my overall goal is to lose 80-90lbs overall, and as fast as possible. So around 2lbs a week. Through this I want to make sure I keep my muscle intact as I will be toning through this. I want to not have any ill side effects from lack of nutrition. And feel as full as possible with the least amount of calories allowed. Right now I'm a bit weaker than normal. But protein I have hell of a lot of so I'm good there :)
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Most American food is fortified with any micronutrients that can cause disease in extreme deficiency. Generally vegetables are often more "dense" nutrient wise as they provide a lot of nutrients for few calories. Personally, I think it is best to pay close attention to your energy levels. Some people do better on higher fat and some on higher carb. I wouldn't look for or be concerned about nutrient deficiencies unless--you are eating very little food, you are feeling extreme fatigue, dizziness, frequent muscle cramping, or other symptoms or you become pregnant.
  • its_laura_btw
    its_laura_btw Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Alright, I'll definitely pay close attention to how I'm feeling the next few weeks. I'm just not used to eating so little, since I grew up on very large portions (so bad!) I'm just learning how to control myself. So I'll make sure I'm eating the right amount, thank you.