I need more protein!

Options
Hey so I'm trying to increase my protein intake as it's always quite low. I thought I had been getting loads of protein but now using this app I'm shocked. Problem is I'm allergic to cows milk, fish and wheat (hence why I started to use this app) any tips to increase my protein? Hopefully without too many extra calories. (I can have goats milk and do use goats cheese but it's not so great for protein)
Thanks!

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts and thighs, ground turkey, protein shakes and bars that accommodate your allergies, eggs, peanut butter, the list goes on. Try doing a forum search, I'm sure you'll come up with lots of lists!
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    https://www.bigtrain.com/t-protein-mix-powder-fit-frappe.aspx This is my go to.... There are several flavors and you can buy it on Amazon.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts and pork loin is great.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Oh and turkey!
  • psycopurpleterri
    psycopurpleterri Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks I did have a look but a lot of suggestions were with dairy so was hoping for a bit more help, already eat eggs, chicken regularly and peanut butter too but must try the turkey to change things up a bit
  • MrsMoviestar
    MrsMoviestar Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Turkey, eggs, chicken
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Soy, meat, seafood, nuts, eggs. And I always ask: Have you adjusted your macros? Most people get adequate protein from ther normal diet.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    As a quick protein bump I drink soy protein mixed with unsweetened almond milk. 28 grams of protein quick and easy.
  • rhsdancer5
    rhsdancer5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Beans and nuts have some protein as well
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Protein powder. I use vega protein + greens. Its a plant based protein powder that has 2 servings of greens in each scoop
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Edamame, lentils, beans, tempeh, tofu.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Eggs and egg whites!
  • Leannemeredith
    Leannemeredith Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Chick peas have a lot of protein. Maybe you can make your own hummus? You can add lemon juice and garlic for flavour without adding calories
  • fiver67
    fiver67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein powder mixed with almond milk. Makes a great smoothie!
    Google Hemp protein Powder and you will be impressed. I use the brand:
    Just Hemp
  • Gotchocolate
    Gotchocolate Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I cannot stop recommending these vegan protein bars I found on amazon. I think they are tasty and all the I gredients are healthy and real food, no chemicals, sugar alcohols, animal products... Anyway, they are Raw Rev Glow bars, the dark chocolate peanut butter sea salt is my favorite so far, don't even try the mint one... It is 180 calories, 11 grams protein, 13 grams fiber and only 3 grams sugar! Also, they have around 30-40 percent of your iron needs for the day! I have them on my subscribe and save now. I'm also excited to try the creamy peanut butter sea salt ones, they have 15 grams protein. Sorry so long, I hope someone finds this helpful!
  • psycopurpleterri
    psycopurpleterri Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Kommodevaran- seafood is a no go for me, didn't adjust protein macro I just don't seem to get enough
    Mskessler89- thanks il have a peek at that and see what turns up I haven't thought of or these kind people might not have mentioned
    Gotchocolate- they sound yum! I got some raw food protein fibre bars yesterday pulsin but they were just a special offer thing and are great, il check out the raw rev though because that's a much higher protein and fibre content!

Thanks everyone, a lot of you mentioned protein powder which is something I've started to look into not many places to get it dairy free in Ireland, unfortunately they always seem to be out of stock! But I shall give this ago.
  • chookywillow
    chookywillow Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    myprotein do a vegan blend powder. mail order.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Have a look at The Protein Works - pretty sure they deliver to Ireland as well as the UK.
    They have quite a wide variety of non-dairy protein supplements.

But before supplementing suggest over-hauling your diet first.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I do protein shakes every morning. You can use things like almond milk in lieu of cow's milk, and there are non-dairy non-gluten protein powders out there. I usually sweeten with frozen fruit, then blend. You can also add things like honey, vanilla extract, and other things to add flavor. Most of my shakes are ~250-400 calories and 50-70g protein each. It's a meal on it's own.