Reaching your daily calories

Options
I've been on MFP for 3 weeks, and am officially down 10 lbs and 9 inches. I'm having trouble though, with even reaching 1200 calories a day! I'm allowed 1540 or so, but, especially on work days, I have to force myself to break 1000. *I work in a fast food type restaurant in a resort, and haven't even THOUGHT about touching a fry or chicken strip since June 6.* But, because of that, I don't eat much at work, then it's late by the time I get home, so I don't want a big dinner either! I'm not depriving myself, I'm not starving, and rarely FEEL hungry. I keep almonds on hand, and reduced fat cheese, so I can have a high calorie snack when I need to, but should you really force yourself to eat when you're not hungry?

For reference, I'm 5"3, 220, 28 years old, and VERY apple shaped, lol =)

Replies

• cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    eat calorie dense foods like nuts, beef jerky and dried fruit to get your calories up
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    short answer is YES you should eat even when you don't feel hungry to get up to your minimum calorie needs at the very least.
  • vodkaswigger
    vodkaswigger Posts: 467
    Options
    I dont, im under my calories most days, i couldnt possibly frce myself to eat,after all eating when not hungry got most of us into this mess in the first place. Do what feels good for you, just try and eat your full daily cals if you are exercising a lot. sorry im not much help xx
  • gotballet
    gotballet Posts: 3
    Options
    The only scary thing is that when you eat so little calories for so long you can slow down your metabolism, It happened to my mom.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your great start! Generally, yes, you should eat the amount specified, on schedule, in the beginning until your body and mind (and hormones, etc) re-balance and send you NORMAL hunger cues. It can take weeks or months for that to happen. Chronic lack of appetite can be a signal of severely decreased metabolism. A couple of threads that may help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175241-a-personal-view-on-exercise-cals-and-underfeeding

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works

As for how to increase cals in a healthy way:

Planning is key. Focus on balanced macros (protein/fat/carbs) in each meal/snack. Start with making sure to eat at least 3 meals a day. Breakfast is important when you're trying to overcome a habit of irregular eating or underfeeding. Once you've adjusted to that, add in snacks. Then, gradually increase the amount of cals in each meal/snack. Just 50 cals more for each meal/snack adds up. If you know you'll be working out, increase cals throughout the day.

If you're not feeling hungry, a good way to increase cals without much volume is healthy fats from natural oils (olive/canola), nuts and nut butters (almonds, pistachios, walnuts), and avocados. Also, I would stay away from "low cal" or "low fat" options. Partly because you want to increase cals, and partly because those foods are usually processed and not nutrient dense, and the cals or fat they take out is replaced by sugar (real or substitute) and sodium - not a good trade off. A fruit smoothie, protein shake or chocolate milk are good cal boosters, because drinking cals can be easier than eating when you aren't feeling hungry.

Typically, it may be hard for a few days or a week, but your body will adjust to the increased intake and you'll find it isn't an issue for long. Eating more will truly help your metabolism, and your appetite will increase with it.
  • 245by45
    245by45 Posts: 18
    Options
    Great advice. You have to pack foods from home. it is the only way. I work in a place that everyone goes to lunch almost all the time. If I do not bring a balanced meal, I will end up going out, and having to make choices while being hungery. You really need to be eating over 1200 a day. If you do not you risk putting yoru body into starvation mode, and it will slow down to try to save you from losing weight.

I have been following you for the past three weeks, and I am very impressed. Keep up the great work. I'm here to help and talk through all of this with anyone who wants help.

Cris
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i disagree with all the force feeders out there; if you're not hungry then listen to your body. eat when you're hungry & don't when you're not. it'd be different if you were underweight or malnourished, but it sounds like your body is meeting it's nutritional needs with healthier choices & if you have energy & feel good, then i say enjoy being lower cal & eat within your cal goals when your body wants more. ♥ just my 2 cents.
  • trdy77
    trdy77 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    eat calorie dense foods like nuts, beef jerky and dried fruit to get your calories up

Thanks! That really helps me out. In my line of work most times I only have a few minutes to eat during the day, sometimes as little as 5 minutes so I needed ideas on super quick that doesn't require any cooking or utensils.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Learn from my mistakes, and try your best to eat those calories. I ate the same way for so long that my metabolism slowed down and I have struggled ever since.

Great job on your loss so far -- that is phenomenal. Just focus on adding simple things to each meal, like avocado to your sandwiches, nuts to your salads, a glass of milk as a snack, etc.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    i disagree with all the force feeders out there; if you're not hungry then listen to your body. eat when you're hungry & don't when you're not. it'd be different if you were underweight or malnourished, but it sounds like your body is meeting it's nutritional needs with healthier choices & if you have energy & feel good, then i say enjoy being lower cal & eat within your cal goals when your body wants more. ♥ just my 2 cents.

Unfortunately, for most people starting new eating habits to get healthy, their bodies don't tell them the right things. For someone who overeats, listening to their body when it says "eat 5 donuts" is foolish, right? Well, for someone who is undereating, listening when it says "eat 500 cals today" is just as foolish.

When someone's abused their body by over OR undereating, hormonal imbalances that control appetite and metabolism are NOT functioning normally, so a person simply cannot trust hunger cues in this situation. Whether the person is underweight or not is irrelevant, because the body still needs certain nutrients and a certain amount of fuel DAILY that cannot be met under a certain caloric intake without serious, long-term consequences (when done for a significant period, not talking about 1 day.)

ETA: Increasing calories does not necessarily mean "force feeding"...it means making better choices that will meet nutritional needs. It does not require a lot more volume, just more nutrient dense foods.
  • mnsmith83
    mnsmith83 Posts: 128
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I've been eating as clean as possible, nothing processed, boxed, or preserved, so I think the QUALITY of my food choices have really helped, as well as having to log everything I eat (which really makes me think twice about whether or not I NEED that second handful of almonds or whatnot). I try to keep my sodium down as much as possible, except yesterday, I kinda got outta control, and keep my carb count lower and protein higher than the RDA, which seems to help me feel full longer. There have only been a couple days that I haven't reached 1200 intake, and I've only been short by 100 or so, but gorging on food when I get home at 9 pm just to reach 1500 seems kind of foolish....

On work days, I usually stick with 3 meals and one snack, if time allows, and LOTS of water. On non work days, I eat less more often...like 6 300 cal mini meals. I understand the relationship between eating a metabolism, and am fairly well versed in diet and nutrition facts and myths, but I am only at the beginning of this life-long journey, so I appreciate all the suggestions, advice and support!
  • TiniTurtle
    Options
    Maybe you could talk to a nutritionist as well. Not everyone on here knows what they are talking about and different things work for different people. Many insurance companies offer wellness plans, where a nutritionist would be covered. I'm a nurse and have a nutritionist that I have worked closely with for almost 10 years (I'm a diabetic). I can share my knowledge, but that may not encompass your needs; same as everyone else here. :o)
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

Unfortunately, for most people starting new eating habits to get healthy, their bodies don't tell them the right things. For someone who overeats, listening to their body when it says "eat 5 donuts" is foolish, right? Well, for someone who is undereating, listening when it says "eat 500 cals today" is just as foolish.

When someone's abused their body by over OR undereating, hormonal imbalances that control appetite and metabolism are NOT functioning normally, so a person simply cannot trust hunger cues in this situation. Whether the person is underweight or not is irrelevant, because the body still needs certain nutrients and a certain amount of fuel DAILY that cannot be met under a certain caloric intake without serious, long-term consequences (when done for a significant period, not talking about 1 day.)

ETA: Increasing calories does not necessarily mean "force feeding"...it means making better choices that will meet nutritional needs. It does not require a lot more volume, just more nutrient dense foods.

Hmmm... That makes sense in theory, but it still seems counter productive to me. I eat when hungry and stop when full, and have been doing so for about a year and a half and haven't had any issues... I just don't see how making yourself eat when you are full can be any healthier than starving yourself when you are hungry, both physically and mentally :s

Well, for one thing if you have under eaten for a while, your stomach has shrunk. So sure, it may tell you that you're full, but that doesn't mean you're eating enough for the day (just as a general example). That's like taking a 4 cup measuring cup that's full, and a 1 cup measuring cup that's full, and saying they're the same because they're both "full." Clearly, they don't have the same capacity and won't give you the same amount of stuff.

Also, once you've been undereating (even slightly) for a significant time period and your metabolism slows, the hormones that regulate metabolism and appetite are no longer balanced. So you won't get a "feed me I'm hungry!" signal when you should. The same thing happens with overeating in the other direction - when someone overeats, the hormones are imbalanced and because the body is used to the higher intake, it sends hunger cues even when the body doesn't need more food. There are also huge psychological components in both of these scenarios. When you get used to it, you FEEL like it's time to eat - or not - based on your routine, and just the conscious knowledge of that and the anticipation of it, can make you feels hunger pangs (or not feel them, if you are used to not eating breakfast, etc). This is how we train babies to sleep through the night and/or get on a feeding schedule. Similar to Pavlov's Dog theory... We train ourselves when to get hungry and eat.

That said, I would say we're not necessarily talking about making yourself eat when you're "full." If you've just (within the hour) eaten a meal and are still full, no one is saying you better stuff a turkey in there too. But if you aren't meeting nutritional needs with what you're eating, then you need to choose different foods and/or increase the amount. I can eat broccoli all day long and probably be full as hell. But is that a healthy diet? Not really. While broccoli is, of course, very good for you, it's not complete nutrition. I won't get all of the nutrients I need out of it...but I'll be full and won't want to eat other stuff. So, instead, I need to balance it and include other foods that will meet my nutritional requirements for energy and vitamins, minerals and macros. It will take a few days or a week for my body to adjust, but as metabolism increases, so does appetite.

Once someone has been doing this for a while and fixed their eating habits (ie learned what to eat, how much, when, etc), and have gotten healthier, and the body is regulating metabolic hormones properly, many people CAN use hunger as their main cue for when/what to eat. But for someone who has poor eating habits, depending on a broken system to send the right signals just doesn't work.
  • TiniTurtle
    Options

Well, for one thing if you have under eaten for a while, your stomach has shrunk. So sure, it may tell you that you're full, but that doesn't mean you're eating enough for the day (just as a general example). That's like taking a 4 cup measuring cup that's full, and a 1 cup measuring cup that's full, and saying they're the same because they're both "full." Clearly, they don't have the same capacity and won't give you the same amount of stuff.

Also, once you've been undereating (even slightly) for a significant time period and your metabolism slows, the hormones that regulate metabolism and appetite are no longer balanced. So you won't get a "feed me I'm hungry!" signal when you should. The same thing happens with overeating in the other direction - when someone overeats, the hormones are imbalanced and because the body is used to the higher intake, it sends hunger cues even when the body doesn't need more food. There are also huge psychological components in both of these scenarios. When you get used to it, you FEEL like it's time to eat - or not - based on your routine, and just the conscious knowledge of that and the anticipation of it, can make you feels hunger pangs (or not feel them, if you are used to not eating breakfast, etc). This is how we train babies to sleep through the night and/or get on a feeding schedule. Similar to Pavlov's Dog theory... We train ourselves when to get hungry and eat.

That said, I would say we're not necessarily talking about making yourself eat when you're "full." If you've just (within the hour) eaten a meal and are still full, no one is saying you better stuff a turkey in there too. But if you aren't meeting nutritional needs with what you're eating, then you need to choose different foods and/or increase the amount. I can eat broccoli all day long and probably be full as hell. But is that a healthy diet? Not really. While broccoli is, of course, very good for you, it's not complete nutrition. I won't get all of the nutrients I need out of it...but I'll be full and won't want to eat other stuff. So, instead, I need to balance it and include other foods that will meet my nutritional requirements for energy and vitamins, minerals and macros. It will take a few days or a week for my body to adjust, but as metabolism increases, so does appetite.

Once someone has been doing this for a while and fixed their eating habits (ie learned what to eat, how much, when, etc), and have gotten healthier, and the body is regulating metabolic hormones properly, many people CAN use hunger as their main cue for when/what to eat. But for someone who has poor eating habits, depending on a broken system to send the right signals just doesn't work.

In case you didn't research your statements or were unsure & expressing an opinion; our stomachs don't shrink from not eating. (google is fairly easy to use & decipher the sites with educated sources vs. opinions). You've been misinformed.
    example:
    http://women.webmd.com/pharmacist-11/stomach-problems?page=3

SOURCES:
    Mark Moyad, MD, director of preventive and alternative medicine, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor.
    David Greenwald, MD, associate professor, Albert Einstein College of Medicine; gastroenterologist, Montefiore Medical Center, New York City.
    Joseph Levy, MD, director, pediatric gastroenterology, NYU School of Medicine, New York City.

People who are underfed/starving/malnourished/etc. still experience hunger because their bodies need nutrients too. I'm not debating the mentality of habit eating. If anything we should have increased hunger pains from skipping meals due to build up of stomach acid and other factors.
    The topic was about eating what sounds like a balanced diet, with few processed foods & even healthy-fat snacks. The diary is private, but if this is true, it is fine to assume she is getting a fair amount of nutrients and never stated she is focusing on one food group in excess.
    mnsmith83 also stated that she knows about diet myths & metabolism, so I don't think that it is just a matter of her learning how to eat or regulating her hormones. The question was about if she should eat when she isn't hungry, just to raise her NET calories.
    I am also wondering what you're credentials are. I stated mine and don't claim to be an expert on anything, though I am educated and know how to research what I am unsure of.
    2112540 Posts: 71
    Options
    look at others food diarys to get ideas!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

Here's why you need to eat. Most of us are like this because we are out of tune with our bodies. I for one could easily go literally all day without eating and not feel the least bit hungry. When I started this journey my biggest challenge was to eat breakfast. Honestly at first eating a handful of nuts and a piece of fruit was a challenge. I couldn't identify true hungry of it walked up to me and shook my hand. It wasn't about forcing myself to eat, it was about eating on a regular schedule throughout the day. Otherwise your body will eventually hold onto every calorie since there is no consistency in when the next meal is coming from.

For the OP, it's not big meals you need to worry about, but better calorie choices. Try for a balance of fiber/protein and healthy fats. Protein in the morning is a good way to start. Quick, filling foods like oatmeal, eggs, & cheese give you a good bang for the buck, but you also need a good amount of the green leafy veg. & plenty of water.Otherwise your body will eventually stop losing.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

In case you didn't research your statements or were unsure & expressing an opinion; our stomachs don't shrink from not eating. (google is fairly easy to use & decipher the sites with educated sources vs. opinions). You've been misinformed.
    example:
    http://women.webmd.com/pharmacist-11/stomach-problems?page=3

SOURCES:
    Mark Moyad, MD, director of preventive and alternative medicine, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor.
    David Greenwald, MD, associate professor, Albert Einstein College of Medicine; gastroenterologist, Montefiore Medical Center, New York City.
    Joseph Levy, MD, director, pediatric gastroenterology, NYU School of Medicine, New York City.

People who are underfed/starving/malnourished/etc. still experience hunger because their bodies need nutrients too. I'm not debating the mentality of habit eating. If anything we should have increased hunger pains from skipping meals due to build up of stomach acid and other factors.
    The topic was about eating what sounds like a balanced diet, with few processed foods & even healthy-fat snacks. The diary is private, but if this is true, it is fine to assume she is getting a fair amount of nutrients and never stated she is focusing on one food group in excess.
    mnsmith83 also stated that she knows about diet myths & metabolism, so I don't think that it is just a matter of her learning how to eat or regulating her hormones. The question was about if she should eat when she isn't hungry, just to raise her NET calories.
    I am also wondering what you're credentials are. I stated mine and don't claim to be an expert on anything, though I am educated and know how to research what I am unsure of.

Hmm no, I'm not misinformed. I actually use peer-reviewed research. I stated it a bit simplistically, but the physiology doesn't change - many studies have shown that stomach capacity can and DOES change when intake is changed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8561056?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=1
    "Subjects in the diet group, who lost a mean of 9.1 kg, showed a 27% reduction in gastric capacity based on the first index (P = 0.004) and a 36% reduction based on the second index (P = 0.006). For the control subjects, gastric capacity did not change significantly with use of either index. The results demonstrate a reduction in gastric capacity in obese subjects after a restricted diet."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11790438?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=1
    "Thus, gastric capacity appears more related to binge eating behavior than to body weight."

http://www.ajcn.org/content/56/4/656.abstract

http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v9/n11/full/oby200198a.html
    "Of course, gastric restriction operations for the severely obese drastically reduce capacity and lead to substantial weight loss (9). Dieting also leads to reduced gastric capacity (10), but this has not been as effective in the long-term as surgery. Even after surgery, the pouch can enlarge over time and may be related to some weight regain (9)"

The hormones that largely control appetite (ghrelin and leptin) WILL be affected by over or undereating (and can be disrupted by other chemical/physical issues). Might help to read this, which explains how they work:

http://physrev.physiology.org/content/85/2/495.full#C._Feeding_Disorders

Hunger (as associated with metabolic rate, which slows in underfeeding) DECREASES at certain points in the process of underfeeding. At an extreme enough level, yes, it can increase. But due to hormonal changes (see above), appetite will DECREASE at certain levels of underfeeding.

I never said that the OP undereats, eats one food group, or that she doesn't understand nutrition. I simply offered advice when she asked for it. The other information (specifically about underfeeding, appetite and "one food group" was in response to a question from someone other than the OP...hardly translates to saying the OP has those issues. However, as a person at an unhealthy weight, it is more than likely that she in SOME way, has had poor eating habits. One of the MOST common poor eating habits that affect women is irregular eating - particularly when they diet, which is one of the reasons for yo-yo dieting. In her OP, she stated "especially on work days, I have to force myself to break 1000." Very few people (regardless of how healthy they THINK their diet is), without a specialized diet provided by an RD, can ensure proper nutrition with less than 1000 calories. So based on that original information, it was NOT "safe to assume" that she was receiving adequate nutrition.

I don't have any credentials, other than a functioning mind, some formal education, a computer, a long personal experience with underfeeding and eating disorders and their effects, and a few books I've read. I've never claimed to be an expert. But I make sure I know what I'm talking about before I speak (or type, as the case may be), and have researched this specific topic quite thoroughly. And I do my best to offer my opinion or advice without attempting to belittle others. It's a good trait to cultivate.
  • mnsmith83
    mnsmith83 Posts: 128
    Options
    Wow this got a little out of control, lol. I do very much appreciate the advice on both sides of the fence, and I'm sure your advice will help many people who are more extreme than I am who relate to the title of my post and read through all this information.

For more reference, I only work 3 days a week, so I'm not *starving myself* most of the time, and like I said, I have only submitted for the day under 1200 cals a couple times. I have FANTASTIC eating habits (now, not so much before) so I am getting balanced nutrition and more than enough water. I exercise between 60 and 150 mins a day 4-5 days a week, cardio and strength training.

I was simply curious if it is absolutely necessary to break that 1200 ceiling EVERY day, or if a couple short days is really that detrimental. =) I still have 94 lbs to go, so it's not like I can't get a little more energy from somewhere within ;-)