Using anger and frustration

Options
I've been working really hard the last two months to lose some extra weight, and, if I do say so myself, I'm doing a damn good job. In two months, I've lost 17 pounds, gone from a size 12 to a size 8, and I'm starting to feel better about myself. I'm more in shape, I have more energy, I make better food choices. But the weight doesn't come off overnight!

While sitting at work, one of my coworkers came to talk to a group of us. This coworker, is a larger woman, both in height and width, but nothing I'd ever say to her. The other three people with us are maybe size 2s or 4s -- little girls! The larger coworker turns to me and says "Chunky girls have to stick together!" and puts her hand on my arm. I'm the first to admit that I'm not the size 2 or 4 - and I know I've got a belly to lose, and I have legit hips. That's just how I'm buil\t. I'm curvy and pear shaped, and I'm okay witjh that. But how DARE someone I hardly know, and only interact with on a "professional" basis, call me chunky?! I was beyond pissed off. The other girls with us got really awkward too and somehow we all managed to get out of the conversation, but HOLY CRAP! Chunky!

Needless to say, that stuck with me for the day. But when I got home -- I jumped on the treadmill, and I ran and ran (and walked a little, since I'm still trying to rehab my rotten knee) and used her ugly comment to my benefit. Use that anger and frustration, and turn it into something good!

Thanks for listening to my rant! :)

Replies

• PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    Good for you!! :) Maybe that was her defensive reaction to noticing you're losing and she's not, so she's going to be the only larger one left at the office.... :P

Either way, you're doing great and good for you not letting that derail you!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I would have told her to speak for herself. And then I would have cried on the inside and then beat myself up at the gym to a point of almost vomiting. lol

so you did a more healthy approach I think. lol

good for you!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The best work outs are always when you are frustrated or angry
  • mardavlais
    mardavlais Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Very good way to burn off the anger. :) Lemons to lemonade. I'm burning off all the emotional crap from last year... it feels great. :)
  • prtykekedd
    prtykekedd Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, some people are the crab at the bottom of the battle....they see you getting out and instead of saying "CONGRAT" they pull you down! You did the right thing and used her comment as motivation, but don't let her feel like its ok to call you chunky again. If ever she makes that comment invite her to workout with you since chunky girls have to stick together :wink:
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Unfortunately, some people are the crab at the bottom of the battle....they see you getting out and instead of saying "CONGRAT" they pull you down! You did the right thing and used her comment as motivation, but don't let her feel like its ok to call you chunky again. If ever she makes that comment invite her to workout with you since chunky girls have to stick together :wink:

Haha I love it! That's a great idea! :)
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    It still frustrates me horribly how some co-workers get catty about when one co-worker is losing weight. I've been on a steady decline now for months and we have one secretary who I swear gets worse every pound that I lose. I've gone from a size 20 and can now fit in some 12s. I usually dress rather conservatively, my clothes may show my curves but they're completely covered. Every time I get a snipy comment from her I end up putting a little extra into my work out...often LOL burning off my temper. I mean it's bad enough that majority of my co-workers have commented on her nasty attitude.