How to motivate yourself to lose weight when you really don't care what you look like

Options
I've always had this problem. I'm not overweight, I'm average and definitely could improve. But I'm at a constant battle with myself because genuinely don't really care what I look like.

I eat healthy for the most part, but I love food. I've been struggling to get into better shape for 7 years..I'm 24 now.

So how do you motivate yourself if you really don't care how you look

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do it for health
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Have an aim, eg a bikini body for special holiday in a year or two, a race, or a sporting event, to be able to do some fitness feat you cant do (pull ups at gym and butterfly stroke swimming are mine), book a photo shoot for a special birthday etc. Find something you want to do, that you would like to look good, or be fit for.
  • 2016shedtheexcess
    2016shedtheexcess Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I guess I've just struggled so much..and it always seems to boil down to not caring what I look like that much...I have set dates, vacation, cruise, photo shoots, I just end up always missing them and not really caring ... I just don't know how to find the motivation
  • RredSonja
    RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm the oposite - I care very much what I look like, but it was never enough to motivate me. What finally motivated me was deteriorating health. You are only 24, but perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order...if there is a trend, like your cholesterol or blood pressure has risen a bit over the last few years...perhaps that could get you going. Most people say they want to live a long life. What they really mean is, they want a long healthy life. A long life of nagging pain and constant health issues both minor and major, that could have been avoided with a little foresight and discipline...well, you got what I mean.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you are not overweight and are fine with your body then don't lose weight.
    Maybe focus on health and fitness goals that aren't about weight or appearance. Participate in races, exercise to manage stress, increase flexibility, get stronger, take part in a sport for aceivement or fun, get to know people through classes and activities. Learn to cook more things. Explore different vegetables and fruits. Get enough sleep.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you don't care then there's no reason to lose weight. If you're medically healthy then don't worry about it.

I understand where you're coming from. For the first 5 years of adulthood I didn't care at all that I was borderline overweight (BMI = 24.8) and didn't exercise beyond walking from my apartment to the car. I had an idea in the back of my mind that I should be healthier and that I should be thinner, but I was reasonably happy with my body and my health and I had no drive to change.

Go to your doctor and get your cholesterol checked. If this motivational issue involves other parts of your life and isn't just about your body then you might also talk to your doctor about the possibility you have anxiety or depression or some other mood disorder. Treatment (counseling or medication) could help immensely.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I didn't care either at 5'3" and 250 lbs, BMI 44.3. I started using MFP for no particular reason and it worked, so I kept going. No motivation necessary.