Increased water intake, feeling bloated

Options
Normally, I drink about 8-16 oz of liquid a day. This includes diet coke, coffee, and water. Somedays, I don't drink anything at all. Well, after going for a checkup and seeing how badly I was dehydrated, I decided to increase my water intake. Now, I'm drinking 8 cups of water a day and have told myself that I can't have any diet soda until I've gotten my 8 cups in... Ha! I haven't had a diet soda in 4 days!

Anyways... I feel REALLY bloated! My stomach is ballooned up twice it's normal size. I feel like I'm waddling everywhere. So what can I do to stop the bloating?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be all bloated unless you are also getting a high amount of sodium or super-high carbs, but even then, your body should normalize itself within a few days of consistent water intake.

The soda would actually have been more bloat-inducing than water should be.

Do you exercise regularly? That should also help your body balance water.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    When I first started drinking more water I was bloated for 3 days. After that it went away but I think lowering my sodium helped a lot with that. Just stick to it.
  • tracysue11
    tracysue11 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    First off...congrats on the amazing weight loss! I dont even know you and im SUPER proud of you! Keep it up! As far as the bloating When they tell you that you need to drink 6-8 8oz glasses of water that means throughout your day, and i was also told that sipping on the water throughout the day is also encouraged opposed to chugging 8oz every so often. i have also found that the first few days of getting back into the swing of drinking 8 glasses of water a day leaves me more bloated as compared to when my body has had a chance to adjust to my new water intake amount. Hope this helps!