Low Carb?

Options
So, I've been thinking about lowering my carbs intake daily. So on a day to day basis I would swap my normal pasta and bread for wholemeal pasta and bread etc.

Does anyone have any experience with a low carb diet and how well they work/don't work, or any other useful information?

Replies

• dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It'll help you lose fat quickly, but unless you stay on it forever you'll probably gain a lot of it back
  • trimformecmb
    trimformecmb Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I love being lo-carb.... as a matter of fact, tonight I had turkey bacon wrapped in lettuce with tomato and mayo...didn't even miss the bread.....and I haven't had pasta for almost a year now......i feel so much better wihtout them and the packaged stuff too...
    good luck on your journey
    christine
  • lilcrittert
    lilcrittert Posts: 105
    Options
    I love being lo-carb.... as a matter of fact, tonight I had turkey bacon wrapped in lettuce with tomato and mayo...didn't even miss the bread.....and I haven't had pasta for almost a year now......i feel so much better wihtout them and the packaged stuff too...
    good luck on your journey
    christine

Ditto....I don't miss bread either....and the weight loss shows!!!! Someone shared this tidbit with me some time ago and I never forgot it. "What do farmers feed cattle when they want to fatten them up???? GRAIN....what's that tell you?"
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 100 grams of carbs a day. Anything less, seems a little too difficult to sustain....especially considering that vegetables, fruits and condiments have carbs. I try to avoid pasta, rice and bread, but if I have it, I only have it during one of my meals. Seems to work just fine.
  • shiggity
    shiggity Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins back in 2003 and lost 50 pounds in 3 months. Then gained it all back plus 50 in the past 8 years. It's great for quick weight loss but if you want to KEEP it off, it's a different story.

I have recently lowered my daily carbs to 100g a day from MFP's recommendation. My body FEELS much better at that level. I have more energy and the weight is coming off so far. I can totally (and pretty easily) manage 100 carbs a day. I don't think that any less would be a good balance for my body.
  • twinkle1074
    Options
    I did low carb a couple yrs ago and lost alot of weight but once I started eating carbs again I gained all the weight back and then some. I would say try reduced carb (60 grams- 100 grams) That is probably the way to go if you want a healthful approach and a easy start to low carbing. Good Luck.
  • rubixcyoob
    rubixcyoob Posts: 395
    Options
    Oh I don't mean completely removing carbs from my diet, I meant changing the staples I eat such as bread and pasta to wholemeal, healthier options and still eating them and if I eat something like potato making sure it is only in one of my meals a day and doesn't coincide with my wholemeal options. I currently don't tend to have more than one carb at a time anyway.

By low carb I meant exactly that, lower the intake and make healthier options, but definitely never remove completely.

Thanks!
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Oh I don't mean completely removing carbs from my diet, I meant changing the staples I eat such as bread and pasta to wholemeal, healthier options and still eating them and if I eat something like potato making sure it is only in one of my meals a day and doesn't coincide with my wholemeal options. I currently don't tend to have more than one carb at a time anyway.

By low carb I meant exactly that, lower the intake and make healthier options, but definitely never remove completely.

Thanks!

An excellent idea!
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Try limiting yourself to 100g of carbs a day - that will make a big difference
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I have recently lowered my daily carbs to 100g a day from MFP's recommendation. My body FEELS much better at that level. I have more energy and the weight is coming off so far. I can totally (and pretty easily) manage 100 carbs a day. I don't think that any less would be a good balance for my body.

I try to keep around this level 100-130 grams a day. I feel much better (I have problems with bloat and grains for some reason) :smile:

Everything in moderation.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the 100-150g carbs a day.

I find this is easy enough to maintain long-term, but gets the results Ok.

Focus on making any carbs you eat good ones: veggies, great. Pasta - make it wholewheat and a small portion. Bread - make it one with seeds or other goodness attached.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    What is "low" to you?
  • ljw556
    ljw556 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good idea - the wholemeal varieties contain far more minerals and vitamins and they are higher quality carbs. They do not give you a sugar rush like simple carbs :-)
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm "supposed" to be at around 210 carbs a day, per my doc. But I tend to come in at around 130-160, with a lot of those being low GI/low effective because of fiber. I eat pasta when I want to (Dreamfields), which is usually twice a month or so. I eat bread when I want to (Sara Lee Delightful, which is markedly lower in carbs than most regular breads), which is usually twice a week or so. If I want potatoes, I weigh, I measure, and I only have what fits into my meal's limit (I can usually fit a nice, small-to-medium baked red potato in with a skiff of butter). I won't cut out swaths of foods from my life, especially not foods I love. I've tried that on and off for years, and guess what? I weigh over 300 pounds. This time it's about moderation backed by the numbers--with the diabetes, I take the numbers very seriously, and it's somehow made it a lot easier to make good decisions. If the number is too high, I can't have that today. That's all. I'm amazed that it works for me, but it does.

We all find our thing, right?

Kris