Low self confidence when lifting weights

Options
2»

Replies

• aliciapastorlecha
    aliciapastorlecha Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi thee!, I am 52 year young woman. If I can lift, so can you. Is it intimidating?, only at the beginning, but the health benefits you will get from lifting are immense!. My PR for squats is 120 lbs and now I am doing a hybrid of Body Beast and powerlifting.
    Don't give up, everybody starts at some point, and ignore the rest of the people at the gym :)
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Hi thee!, I am 52 year young woman. If I can lift, so can you. Is it intimidating?, only at the beginning, but the health benefits you will get from lifting are immense!. My PR for squats is 120 lbs and now I am doing a hybrid of Body Beast and powerlifting.
    Don't give up, everybody starts at some point, and ignore the rest of the people at the gym :)

Yup. Anything new is uncomfortable at first, but the only way to start getting into it is to jump on in there. After a few times you'll be more comfortable...recognize the regulars and see that they're just there doing their thing like you are. Sure...people look around. I do it too because I just like to see what others are doing while I'm resting..... In the beginning I used to kind of hide myself because I was self conscious, but now I just push my way in with the rest of them. It's all good. Just do it. :)

• soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thank you all SO much!!! You all have given me a lot to think about, all positive! :)
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I started out going to group classes. Find one centered on lifting weights. I eventually got too strong for the dumbbells they had in there and moved out onto the floor. Also there is an older book, "New Rules of Lifting for Women" that has a good program in it. In the back there are descriptions of each move. If I still don't understand a move I'll look on YouTube.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I was just like you last year, avoiding the weight room bc I was intimidated. You learn to get over it. I love lifting and now dread cardio. You got a lot of great advice already, just keep it up and don't give up.
  • Cyriatan
    Cyriatan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A lot of good advice was given already but I'm gonna repeat the old saying: confidence comes from knowledge. There's an exercise database for example at bodybuilding.com, it shows you exercises by muscle group, maybe just start looking at that and you know "ah, so this works these muscles". Search for some classic programms and see how they are structured, etc. Maybe just go with the trainer, although I believe that's no excuse to avoid getting informed so you can act and judge with autonomy. Once you start to understand what people's doing and why you'll be uncomfortable but with some confidence that, you know, you actually know what's going on. The other things: people staring, fear of doing the idiot, etc. well I think that's normal for everyone really. Confidence is built. Start researching your bricks and with time the building will get done. Just enjoy the process!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If I feel self conscious it's because I'm worried about proper form. So obviously you already know what your workout for the day is going to be. The day before, watch, rewatch and rewatch again form videos before you go in. Watch them again the day of. Practice form without weight at home. You can even watch the darn videos during your sets. Know you're workout, focus, and don't worry about anyone else.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Unless you're doing something absolutely ridiculous chances are no one will take note of you. the only things I pay attention to is a workout I've never seen or to see if a bench has opened up. The only time I'll judge or openly call someone out is if they're slamming the weights on cable machines, or just this weekend I had a guy literally throw 2 40lb Dumbbells at the floor leaving considerable marks. At that point I refuse to keep my mouth shut, respect the equipment or get out.
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    We all had to start somewhere.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Of course, we all have to over come this feeling and here's how it's done:

Best tip on here is to go with one or two friends or more!! (More the merrier). This will keep the workout fun and social and distract you from thinking about what others are thinking of you. Having a workout buddy or buddies allows you to focus on the groups objectives for the session. When you're alone in the gym and you don't know anyone it's like a big ego mind game that can get awkward I guess. So either meet new people and branch out or bring some friends!

You pay your fees just like any other member so don't be intimidated and think "I'm just getting in the way". That's a losing mindset.

Instead, think "we are all here on the grind" so let's work together to achieve our common goals. That's a winning mindset in fitness. Most people I encounter during gym sessions are very pleasant people anyway. I always feel comfortable knowing there are so many members on different levels of fitness to learn from.

Cheers
  • FiNnY22
    FiNnY22 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I personally dont give a rats *kitten* what people think of me in the weights room.
    I'm in there for me, in - get my stuff done - get out.
    Plus you'll normally find the "judgers" prefer looking at themselves more anyway. :D