How do you season your food?

Options

Replies

• Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I have a full spice shelf, an herb garden, and I use a lot of vinegar. My favorite right now is sherry vinegar, but we also have balsamic, red wine, rice wine, apple cider, and malt vinegar.

Also, when it counts I use olive oil, sesame oil, butter, or bacon grease. I include the fats with the seasoning because they really do add to the flavor, and help carry the spices. A tablespoon of oil in a dish for four people is only 30 calories per serving.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I'm right now just using black pepper and salt. I have tried some dried herbs but I really can't taste anything.
    Any low calorie seasoning you can think of?
    Thanks very much
    Are they old? They turn to a vaguely scented dust after a while, especially if they're not sealed well. Buy a couple of new ones and see if they taste better. I love rosemary, or even just a general Italian-type seasoning.
  • PatsPrincess07
    PatsPrincess07 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    lemon juice with S&P
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Salt, pepper and lots of different spices. Trial and error. Some spices are much more flavorful than others so it might take some time to find some good ones.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a DIY spice blend to make your own Mrs. Dash.

http://www.food.com/recipe/mrs-dash-seasoning-20729

If a spice isn't doing it for you try double next time.

I put a little fresh crushed garlic in nearly everything savoury.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    Some other options I like: Vinegar (there are various types with different flavors), citrus juices (not just lemon, but also lime or orange), prepared mustard (most are low in calories - check the label), smoked paprika, flavorful low-sodium broth, cumin/turmeric, chopped pickles, hot peppers (milder ones if you're not up for major heat), even unsweetened cocoa powder (in tomato-based sauces as well as with sweeter things), onions that have been slowly browned in a heavy pan.

Oven-roasting veggies gives them a richer flavor on their own, too, if you let them get a little browned.

You can also check into the characteristic spice blends that go with various national cuisines. Pick up a cookbook (even at the library) and check out what makes Mexican food taste Mexican, or Italian food taste Italian. Indian cooking has a rich tradition of spices, and the Asian cuisines have their own flavors.

Get spices/herbs at a bulk food or health food store so you can get smaller quantities to try, and they're usually fresher, too. Or try fresh herbs from the market, and grow your own if you decide you like them.

I like to make a fake Asian peanut sauce with PB2 peanut butter powder, maybe a bit of toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar and soy sauce, and use it on veggies. I'd add chopped garlic, chopped green onions, and/or fresh ginger if I had some on hand, and often add hot sauce.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My favorites are lemon pepper and italian blends.
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Creole, garlic, salt, pepper, onion, cumin, tumeric, ginger, chili powder, italian seasoning, cilantro, and smoked paprika are all staples in our home. The garlic goes in EVERYTHING! !
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Garlic salt, onion powder, italian seasoning and cumin are my favorites.
  • holmes1416
    holmes1416 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Toasted cumin seeds, smoked paprika, toasted pine nuts/sesame seeds/sunflower seeds (not a seasoning but add a lot of flavor for low calories), lots of fresh chopped herbs are some of my favorites. Japanese rice seasonings are fun, and are also great on salads. Almost anything benefits from a squeeze of lemon (or a dash of balsamic) and some salt. And for summer I absolutely love a simple dressing of sumac, pomegranate molasses, lemon juice, olive oil, mint, salt/pepper. Olive oil has fat but is so good for you so I drizzle it on lots of things at the end!!
  • spongebobelaine
    spongebobelaine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks all your reply!you are all good cook! I should experiment a bit with different spices :smile:
  • alexandriamccann26
    alexandriamccann26 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My go to's for everything are salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder and trader Joes everyday seasoning
  • JoeKeese
    JoeKeese Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Flavor God seasoning, it's a bit expensive but I use it on everything! Sometimes keeping it simple with pepper & salt is nice as well.
  • tmperry99
    tmperry99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Penzey's is a spice/seasoning shop, I love them. They have LOTS of seasoning mixes and quite a few are salt free. If there isn't a store near you they have a website you can mail order from.
  • andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    roll around in some vegetable oil, then some bread crumbs mixed in with flavor god seasonings (they are sooo good) then bake!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It depends on what I'm making...I have a whole cupboard dedicated to spices and herbs. What I use depends on what the dish is supposed to taste like.

This. Totally...I even have some masala dabbas put together for cuisines that use more spices. That way I can find everything in one spot. However, when you need a quick hit of flavor you can't really go wrong with some lemon or lime juice. I always have lemons and limes in the house, even if I have nothing else. lol.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    How old are your spices? If they've been sitting around open for 6 months or more, a lot of their potency has faded. I use dried basil, thyme, oregano, and rosemary frequently, and they're plenty flavorful (though different and less enjoyable than fresh, IMO). If it's a spice I don't need much of and won't use again in the foreseeable future, I'll buy a small amount from the bulk section of my grocery store.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you're cooking.
    Beef - salt, pepper, montreal steak spice and w. sauce. Sometimes garlic and cumin. If I want it spicy, I add cayenne pepper.
    Chicken - olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Rosemary is good too. Sometimes just salt and lemon if I want a simple chicken breast.
    Vegetables - olive oil or butter, oregano and garlic, depending on the veggie.

It doesn't have to be complicated, look up a few recipes and do some experimenting :)
  • Vivacity63
    Vivacity63 Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Schilling Grill Mates Mojito Lime, Herbes of Provence, Worcestershire sauce, Organic Adobo, Simply Asia Sweet Ginger Garlic or Garlic Sensations
  • krystal_m18
    krystal_m18 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like Clubhouse red peppers and garlic seasoning shaker