Running issues

Options
I started running back in September I believe and I was really loving it. Sometime in January I started having issues with hip brusitis and sciatica on my left side. I can't seem to do a thing to make it better. It seems to not bother me too much but everytime I think I'm going to get back out there and run again it gives me a crazy amount of pain. Today I thought I was good. I did a two mile run with no pain then about an hour later I can barely walk.. I just wanna run ): this is really frustrating for me. Any advice or am I just going to have to find a new form of exercise?

Replies

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You should see an orthopedic surgeon. Few years ago I started out with a twitch in my hips thought it was bursitis about three years later I will end up with a double hip replacement.

Running puts a lot of stress on your joints. If you want a good cardio workout with very little stress on your body, try swimming.

Good luck
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    There is a short video on runners world website today about hip pain! I've been experiencing pain as well, though not bursitis. The Dr said a strong butt is the key to a happy life :) basically, to help with the pain and prevent it in the future, you need to stretch and strengthen the muscles around your hips. Cross training is good too.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Do you experience pain when stretching it? Do you strength train, do yoga or stretch regularly?
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Seems like you are new to running for about 4-5 months.

If this is true then your body is probably just making some adaptations. It's a high impact sport so you first need to make sure your body can handle that impact applied every single stroke for 2 plus miles.

I had sciatica from training. It was a sharp twinge that shut down my whole training program for 1-2 months. And the best thing I did was full recovery. Massage. Hot baths. Muscle creams. Foam rolling. Ice. Rest. Relaxation. More massage!

The treadmill is not going to dissappear. The road is not going to vanish. Contrary to what many say there is always time. So take time to recover PROPER and 100%.

Then on top of that when you are fully recovered, you will need to SLOWLY build back into your running regimen. Ever heard the story of the Turtle and the Hare....slow and steady wins. Start with 2 miles walking. Then 2 miles light jogging. Then 2 miles running or however you do it the point is to slowly build into it.

On top of that, you wanna address the due diligence such as

Running shoe selection
    Running technique
    Muscular strength (switch out some runs with weight lifting) target exercise that strengthen your back, core and hips as well as leg muscles such as squats and lunges.

• SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer awfully after doing most exercise but then I saw an osteopath and found out I needed a shoe insert for a shorter leg and then I had my gait analysed and got a decent pair of trainers. And voila, I still run like a tortoise through treacle, but no more excruciating pain the day after!
  • jusbowers
    jusbowers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had bursitis in my left hip just over a year ago. Because it is pain caused by muscles and tendons rubbing on an inflamed bursa the very action of running will aggravate it and make it worse. Which I unfortunately did hoping I could run through the pain (yes I am an idiot at times)

As frustrating as it is if you don't take the time to recover 100% and then some extra time just to make sure it is completely better the chances are you will keep having flare ups.

Ibuprofen or similar will help and being careful not to rotate your hip when you move.

Once you are fully recovered then slowly beginning to run again would be good, maybe starting at the beginning of C25K to ease you back in.

I would not recommend how my bursitis was cured - I broke my hip and needed it pinning so I no longer have a bursa on that side!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Do you have a running shop near you that will analyze your gait/stride and give you some pointers? At one point, I was ready to give up running due to back/sciatica problems. I changed my stride to be more of a mid-foot runner (less impact compared to when I was a heel striker) and while the problems aren't gone, they have been much more manageable the last few years. I have an appointment with a chiro in a few weeks to see if there is anything else I can do. I'm pretty sure my problems are related to compressing/bulging disk in my lower back... so I'm not sure how much of this will apply to you, but take it for what it's worth.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I've never had the issues you describe, but have had others and personally, I would probably start at an orthopedic clinic that treats sports injuries. Several of my running buddies also swear by the PT clinic that partners with our local running store. If you have a good running store near you, they might be able to point to a practice that has experience with runners, but I would probably rule out something major first to make sure you are not trying to run through something you shouldn't.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    100% go see a professional, perhaps starting with a physiotherapist. Don't try to diagnose yourself on the internet.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Find out (via a ortho/PT/whatever...but someone legit...not the internet or this website ;-)) what the problem really is - to confirm bursitis or see if it's something else. Sadly, bursitis is nag'gy and I just had to take time off to get it resolved. Take up something less impact (I went the swimming route) and then make your way back to running (slowly add miles as others have suggested.) It sucks. Stretching is key when you are back at it...as a newer runner, you likely don't do it enough but it will keep you on the road for a long time. Running thru these nagging issues has a way of catching up on you.
  • jroe3127
    jroe3127 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    All great advice on here, particularly suggestions to see a PT. I had a similar issue a few years ago and I have been running for 30 years. In my case, the solution was building lateral leg and hip strength through resistance exercises. Poor lateral leg strength is pretty common for runners as we're usually only going in one direction!

Even after several weeks of PT, I still rely on a series of exercises and stretches to avoid the problem coming back. Similar to you, if I don't stretch the hips before I run, I experience a lot of pain later. See a professional as they will help you figure out the right plan for you.
  • CrossfitOCRunner
    CrossfitOCRunner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There is so much that can go into this. shoes, form and our stretching/strength/mobility routines. googling "Kelly starrett hip" will get you some good moves, as will his "Ready to Run" book. copious foam rolling and stretching may help, but seeing a chiro/sports therapist may be the way to go. some active release therapy may fix you right up. see an ortho to rule anything out, but this sounds fairly normal with new-ish runners. I've seen or experienced all of the ailments, so hit me up if you want to chat more, but running through those should get you to a resolution. And you are in DELAWARE!?!?! What up!! we in the building!