Critique my food diary please

Options
I want to lose weight (30-55 lbs) and train for a marathon. What do you think? Do my numbers seem right?

Replies

• Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Can you find more lean sources of protein to add to your daily intake? Seem to be quite short on that nutrient.
  • SeaMonkey83
    Options
    Can you find more lean sources of protein to add to your daily intake? Seem to be quite short on that nutrient.
    Any suggestions?
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i would say you need more protein and less carbs. i use the "zone" ratios for my carbs fat and protein. it's 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. i think it helps me stay fuller longer and have more energy. i would try to also eat a little bit of protein with breakfast, to make you fuller longer.
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    I agree that you need more protein, especially if you're going to train for a marathon. Maybe add turkey bacon or eggs to your breakfast. Maybe snack on greek yogurt instead of rice cakes. I think you should try to eat more veggies too: broccoli, spinach, etc.
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the protein comment, so go buy some chicken breast

I'd also avoid eating high numbers of fat and carbs together, this is just asking for fat gains (doritos anyone?). So protein+carb or protein+fat is a better combination.
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I think you might need more fruits, vegetables, lean meats and fish. Protein powder and vitamins. Less processed foods. It's hard. I'm trying the less processed food thing. I'm having to cook a lot, but I am making it in bulk, so I won't have to cook everyday.
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    boost that protein! high protein bread, cottage cheese, peanut butter (or smart nuts), high protein granola bars, lean meats (roast a turkey breast every week)
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    yes....less processed food. Load up on veggies and fruit. Take some vitamins :)
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Remember we are not professionals and are giving you only our advice.

I also zone my ratios on carbs, protein and fat. Try to get more protein if you are looking for endurance and muscle growth. I would be more concerned with monitoring sugars than iron. Most people won't track them because they are always over and don't want to be reminded each day, but then complain when the scales doesn't move. Get your sugars from natural means (fruits and veggies) and it's not so bad. Any food that lists a form of sugar in the top five ingredients (fructose, sugar, etc...) should be skipped altogether. Even sweet n low, splenda, etc... are bad for you. Regular table sugar in limited quantitites is better than high fructose corn syrup. Stevia is all natural and the best way to go for sweetening anythin. I would skip the power bar and go for something more nutritious. It's basically just a candy bar. Try almonds or almond butter, they have fat but they are mostly mono fats which are essential and have lots of protein. Raw are better than roasted for a several reasons, but mainly because roasted nuts lose some of their nutritional value and the majority are coated with extra sodium, which you don't need. You get used to the no salt flavor in no time at all.

Remember to eat if you get hungry, but make wise choices. You don't have to eat blah food, just make wise choices. Try not to eat within 3 hours of sleeping at night.

Good luck!