Protein Powder Help please

Options
I've never tried protein powder before but I recently decided to look into it because I hear a lot of positivity about it. Can anyone recommend a good tasting protein powder? such as like chocolate flavored etc.
Also if you have any protein shake recipes please leave them in the comments. I'd love to hear from all of you!

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I personally like trutein, but others say it is too sweet. I highly recommending looking at flavor recommendations (bodybuilding.com has a lot of users that rank the flavors), and look for companies that sell small quantities or provide samples. Protein flavor and what you like seems to be very variable from person to person.

I drink my protein mixed with just water.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I typically just buy vanilla protein, and honestly, I buy what's cheapest - I get the Target brand most often. Some people are pickier about flavor, and if I mixed it with just water I probably would be too. But my morning shake consists of ice, 1/4 cup of frozen raspberries, a scoop of protein powder, and a cup of orange juice (usually Trop 50). It's delicious, comes in at about 215 calories, and still tastes good regardless of what brand of protein I use.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Isopure tastes the best to me, but it's a little more expensive than others. A lot of people like ON powders. There are about 137 flavors to pick from.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I personally like trutein, but others say it is too sweet. I highly recommending looking at flavor recommendations (bodybuilding.com has a lot of users that rank the flavors), and look for companies that sell small quantities or provide samples. Protein flavor and what you like seems to be very variable from person to person.

^ This, though I drink mine with water only right before exercise and prefer milk otherwise. Don't buy powder though if you don't really need it. It is possible to get plenty of protein from your food and you should be doing that first. Use powder as a convenience or when you just can't stomach another chicken breast.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

^ This, though I drink mine with water only right before exercise and prefer milk otherwise. Don't buy powder though if you don't really need it. It is possible to get plenty of protein from your food and you should be doing that first. Use powder as a convenience or when you just can't stomach another chicken breast.

This is also a good point. I tend to skip breakfast and have a relatively high protein goal. I use a powder to get me to my goal, but could likely make it work with food along (powder allows me to be lazy with that).

Protein powder is not a magical substance and does not necessarily help in weight loss. It just helps you hit your protein goal.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    A hand blender (wand type) is your friend.
    I drink a soy protein in almond milk, after resistance training I toss some natural peanut butter in there (a hand blender will mix it well), and this morning I added some blueberries.
    The powder itself is meh, but toss in the "fixins" and it's much better.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have the EAS brand that they have at Target (chocolate and vanilla) as well. I was "meh" on the the Integrated Supplements brand (chocolate) that Target carries, although I have seen it get high marks from various raters. My all-time FAVORITE protein shake (if I can spare the calories and it's a lifting day) is: 2 cups whole milk, 1 cup blueberries, one banana, and 2 scoops vanilla protein powder. Yum! If I can't spare the calories, I will just do 2 scoops in a cup of milk and stretch it with water....not the greatest, but it does the job.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I buy Animal Whey from Universal Nutrition on bodybuilding.com I use the reviews for flavor choices but so far all have tasted great. Protien powder isn't that cheap but I have found the more expensive ones I have tried tended to taste better by themselves vs the ones at the local store.

121 calories with 25g protien and low carb and low fat.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I like the Quest cookies and cream. I mix it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk in a blender cup and just shake it up.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I just started drinking a chocolate protein powder by Tracy Anderson. I found it at Target and the chocolate tastes pretty good. It mixes well in almond milk and has 100 calories, 15 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber. It's plant based, if that is a consideration.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    18 oz frozen raspberries
    Spoonful of peanut butter
    Serving of protein mix
    Little bit of tart cherry juice
    Some blueberries, maybe a banana
    Fill with half and half
    Mix it up in the blender

Delicious, healthy, very high calorie sorbet. It's a wonderful snack after a hill repeat workout or a long ride.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I started buying protein powder because it was cheaper and quicker than preparing 190g of meat a day. So about 60g/day comes from protein powder for me. I use whatever is cheap at the local Wal-Mart, usually Whey Isolate so it's 30g per scoop. 2 Scoops makes a pretty good shake and I've been mixing mine with just water for a long time now. If you mix it up and put it in the fridge ahead of time you won't notice the water so much over milk or almond milk. I believe the brand I buy is Super Advanced Whey Isolate in vanilla or chocolate. About $19-$20 per 2lb can.