PCOS and Hypoglycemic

Options
nahmm83
nahmm83 Posts: 67 Member
I have PCOS and I'm hypoglycemic so I need some sugar intake. However, when I have something healthy it doesn't work and I become light headed and shaky, and about to faint so the doctor advised to drink know 1/2 can of soda. It works.....but just that amount of sugar has me craving even more sugar so I try to avoid it altogether and I end up back at square one. Then, to make matters worse.....doctor tells me that I bloat 10x more than the average person (they found nothing but gas bubbles in my stomach).....so imagine what 1/2 can of soda does to me. Any other substitutes for that sugar......that won't send my sugar craving in to overdrive??? Anyone with PCOS, hypoglycemia, or both.....what's your go to sugar snack??

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have hypoglycemia.
    A go-to food is 1/2 a plain bagel with cream cheese or a glass of milk.
    Frequent meals are a must.
    Every 3 to 4 hours.
    open your diary. people will help you.
    consider another doctor
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I also have pcos I eat low carb but what about a piece of fruit or yougurt
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    When I would get hypoglycemic attacks, my go to were those packs of peanut butter crackers. The crackers gave faster carbs, and peanut butter has fats for some sustained energy.

I also found that I do better relatively low carb, eating every few hours. I do eat most of my carbs worth dinner, which is also my largest meal of the day.

It's a personal eating pattern that works for me, but may not work for others. But maybe try changing up your macros or meal timing. Also keep track of how you feel throughout the day and how often you feel shaky.
  • Akkisarkk
    Akkisarkk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think you need a new Dr. I've been dealing with hypoglycemia for 15 years. Sugar is never a good choice. It bounces your levels too fast. If your getting to low, balance your sugar with something that digests slower. I found cottage cheese to be a perfect snack to keep my blood sugar level. I agree with the peanut butter too. Keep it low in carbs and sugar.
  • nahmm83
    nahmm83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I'm definitely considering a new doctor. I've also noticed that yogurt or anything dairy makes me bloat just as bad. I just started with the peanut butter crackers earlier today.....day one, and so far so good.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I agree--soda is not a good idea. Fruit juice if you really need it quick, or a piece of whole fruit. Peanut butter and crackers is also good. And it's always best if you can ward off the hypoglycemia before it starts by eating snacks throughout the day. Nuts, seeds, peanut butter, etc., are all good choices.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Do you measure blood glucose in these events ?