bpetrosky wrote: »
    No mention of forbidden rice at all?

Nope. It's forbidden.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

NJCJF wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Eh. I always laugh at the 'brown rice is better than white rice' thing.

Still shaking my head at nuts being put in the 'protein' category.

Protein is in nuts, and brown rice IS better than white
    To me, it feels like the government would rather classify nuts as a source of protein than a source of fat because of the fear mongering fat gets.

I'd feel a little better about labeling nuts as protein if the healthy oils portion of the chart could be changed to healthy fats.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think they mention nuts as a source of protein because it's more likely to be used as such in a low meat or vegetarian diet and the Harvard site is pretty friendly to vegetarianism (which isn't a surprise if one has read Willett, who is one of the experts that site relies on).

I think it's a good basic summary, although I'm a lot more flexible and don't do everything it suggests (I also see no meaningful reason to prefer one vs. the other between rice and brown rice from a nutrition perspective, but the overall tendency of that site is to prefer options with more fiber rather than those with fiber largely removed).
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2016
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »

To me, it feels like the government would rather classify nuts as a source of protein than a source of fat because of the fear mongering fat gets.

I'd feel a little better about labeling nuts as protein if the healthy oils portion of the chart could be changed to healthy fats.

If you look at the sections of that site that discuss fat specifically, it's not anti fat (and also the site is not from the gov't and that plate is supposed to be different from the MyPlate from the gov't -- the gov't has actually moved closer to the Harvard advice in recent years). It does distinguish between different types of fat.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    CooCooPuff wrote: »

If you look at the sections of that site that discuss fat specifically, it's not anti fat (and also the site is not from the gov't and that plate is supposed to be different from the MyPlate from the gov't -- the gov't has actually moved closer to the Harvard advice in recent years). It does distinguish between different types of fat.
    Dang, that's what I get for just looking at the picture posted.

• NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Brown rice vs. white rice is a matter of opinion.

uh no... brown rice is healthier ... it is a matter of opinion which tastes better ;)

Why do you think brown rice is healthier than white?

Eta: clarifying my question

Because whole grains are healthier than refined grains. I'm not a huge brown rice supporter. I hardly eat it and a lot of people have trouble digesting it. But from a nutritional stand point brown rice has more nutrition because it hasn't been stripped away during the refining process. I didn't mean to start a big debate.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Those geniuses said potatoes don't count as a vegetable! Since when? Potatoes are a perfectly healthy and nutritious veg. Idiots!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Real Fact: White rice and brown rice are about the same nutritionally.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Erfw7471 wrote: »

She didn't say protein isn't in nuts, she questions why they're considered a strong source of protein. Calorically comparing to other protein sources, they aren't. 163 cals of almonds only has 6 gram protein while 163 cals of chicken has 34 grams protein. In many diets nuts are not a good source of protein (but are in others). I consider them a source of fat personally.

Again, depends on the personal diet whether white or brown rice is better.

It's those nut grower lobbie$ and their deep pocket$. THE U$DA only cares about ca$h! Bought and sold!

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

/sarcasm
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options

uh no... brown rice is healthier ... it is a matter of opinion which tastes better ;)

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/

To sum up - it really doesn't make any difference if you're eating brown or white rice.

It's a great opinion article. Good to know micronutrients don't matter... guess we can all stop caring about our vitamins!
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2016
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »

To sum up - it really doesn't make any difference if you're eating brown or white rice.

It's a great opinion article. Good to know micronutrients don't matter... guess we can all stop caring about our vitamins!

That's addressed in the piece. The extra micronutrients in brown rice aren't that bioavailable.

Also, I think relying on rice for micronutrients probably is not the best idea.

(I like both equally, and rarely eat rice anyway, other than the not-really-rice wild rice, so this is not a pro white rice from any biased POV.)
  • cjdecz
    cjdecz Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Science is why I believe brown rice trumps white rice: Journal of American Medical Associates - Brown Rice reduces risk of type 2 diabetes.

While that was a well thought out article I question the source material. I've read the studies cited and they never mention long term benefits of brown rice vs white rice.

Personally, I like the taste of brown rice especially with vegetable bullion. Moreover, I prefer my carbs to give me steady energy without too much of a blood sugar spike.

Just my .02
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    cjdecz wrote: »

Science is why I believe brown rice trumps white rice: Journal of American Medical Associates - Brown Rice reduces risk of type 2 diabetes.

While that was a well thought out article I question the source material. I've read the studies cited and they never mention long term benefits of brown rice vs white rice.

Personally, I like the taste of brown rice especially with vegetable bullion. Moreover, I prefer my carbs to give me steady energy without too much of a blood sugar spike.

Just my .02

You may want to reread that first study. Pay attention to the numbers.
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Those geniuses said potatoes don't count as a vegetable! Since when? Potatoes are a perfectly healthy and nutritious veg. Idiots!

I know! And the skin is loaded with potassium!

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Avoid bacon? Are they freaking kidding?!