women that lift did you clothes get tighter?

Options
debants
debants Posts: 38 Member
just wondering if your clothes got tighter specifically around your biceps and across the upper back?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have only recently run into this. Last summer I found a very cute dress that was a bit snug in the stomach but fit well everywhere else on my body. I bought it, figuring that it would fit fine once I burned a bit more fat off my stomach. A few weeks ago I tried it on and it fit perfectly in my midsection...but now it is crazy tight in my shoulders, where it fit fine last year. It was a bit of a bummer because I really like the dress but I like my upper arms/shoulders more.

I think I *just* started having this issue because of spending a lot of time at and around maintenance and building some muscle. Previously, I was actively trying to lose weight so my body overall was shrinking. Now some parts are shrinking and some are growing (slowly, but over the course of a year it's enough to be able to feel it in my clothing.)
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yes but only when I wasn't eating in a deficit
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    yeah but just in my legs and butt.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Biceps, yes. Thighs of skinnier jeans.

Not upper back.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I didn't have this problem when I was losing but now on maintenance I do. Some of my shirts have gotten tighter in the bicep area and I've recently been working on building my lats and just started noticing the upper back issue.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    My jeans are now tight in my thighs but loose at the waist. And when I was trying on boyfriend jeans I couldn't find any that weren't strangling my calves and fit my waist. It's frustrating but worth the frustration.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Biceps, yes. Thighs of skinnier jeans.

Not upper back.

This. I donated my skinny jeans. #ILoveLegDay
  • debants
    debants Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input - I knew some was weight gain from still eating as if I am doing 2 hours of cardio but I was trying to understand that your body shape changes with the lifting as well - just didn't want to fool myself.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Yes to the jean thing. Leggings all the way.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes. Because I went from skinny up, not from fat down. My butt is 2" bigger and legs 3" bigger. Shoulders are framed wide, not much change there, but I had to size up pants. Which is annoying.

Also I was irritated to find that back muscle = bra strap squish. I was bony before and never had that. Now I can do pushups, pull ups, have better lats and stronger back and bra strap squish.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You leg ladies are making me laugh. In my first response I wrote, and then deleted "I've never had a big thigh/legs moment though." It's my build. I'm not naturally curvy in the thigh/hip area and never really get a pump in my quads. I do in my glutes though.

A few months ago I had a morning where my legs felt fuller and I thought the day has finally come, I think my legs might actually be doing something. By the end of the day I was sick as a dog, in bed. No leg day super pump for me. It was the start of muscle aches from a flu. :grin:
  • crikey_katie
    crikey_katie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Some of my sleeves feel tighter but it's not too much of a difference. Somebody mentioned thighs of skinny jeans, those are usually pretty snug since my quads are kind of large. I have only been seriously lifting for a few months after weight loss, I was doing too much cardio. I'm excited to see how my body will change :)
  • Dula73
    Dula73 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    Also I was irritated to find that back muscle = bra strap squish. I was bony before and never had that. Now I can do pushups, pull ups, have better lats and stronger back and bra strap squish.

Interesting to read! I was hoping lifting might make my bra squish disappear, maybe not!

Ive been lifting at maintenance for a few months, my calves have definitely got bigger, but everything else is just firmer, so my jeans fit slightly differently but not noticeably tighter... yet!

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've always had broad shoulders. The leaner I get the more they stand out, at least to me. The only difference I really notice is in suits where the jacket has to be a size larger than the pants. But if I buy one in a set it just means I can never button the jacket.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I can't wear pants without a belt- for real.
    But I've been built like this since 16- it's only gotten worse.
    I'm not mad at it- also - button up type dress shirts- they are tight in the arm and back- so large is to big- medium fits to small in the arm department.
    Whatever- I wear a lot of stretchy stuff.
    and dresses- I rather wear pants- but the reality is dresses work better for my frame w/ less fuss.

Thank god for knits.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I live in leggings, jeggings, and super loose pants. I am never buying actual jeans again they don't feel bueno around my bulging quadz.
  • MarthaQ2
    MarthaQ2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes! My arms,back, thighs,legs, and butt is huge!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I leaned out everywhere except for my butt during both weight loss and maintenance.

With my measurements however clothes can be an issue so I have to most of my non-stretchable clothes tailored to fit my body. Also it's very hard for me finding jeans without having that annoying lower back budge.

Leggings are so awesome though.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    For sure. My back and arms have grown in a year of bench focussed programming and maintenance.

Makes me happy. What also makes me happy is that my legs didn't shrink despite barely being able to squat or pull for a year.
  • neela1880
    neela1880 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My waist is shrinking but i feel like my shoulder is getting more broad, some of my shirt sleeve feels tighter