8 weeks in and legs are still on fire....is this normal?

Options
I have a desk job....trying to lose some weight.....started going to the gym twice per week (45 minutes to an hour) and doing a 2 mile power walk every day at work during lunch. I know that I did too much too fast. I was excited and felt motivated, so I just kept pushing though the "burn", but I am on week 8 and seriously my legs are non-stop on fire. When I do my lunch walk it feels like my calves are going to pop, my shins are having sharp pains and thighs burning, but I keep going because I am afraid to stop my new routine. I thought this pain would have stopped by now. I have taken a couple of weekends off and am icing every night, but no change. Is this normal?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    No its not normal. I suggest that you slow down, look into stretching pre and post walk, and make sure you have sturdy properly fitting walking shoes. Good on the walking, don't stop, but do take care of yourself.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Indeed it is not normal. Do you have a rest day each week? Are you eating up to your mfp target of protein? I ask because the answer to both should be "Yes". Are you eating high quality protein? The answer again should be "yes".

Normal "new to exercise leg muscle pain" should be gone in less than 1 week with proper protein intake.
  • oliversnh
    oliversnh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of meat, but I have been having protein shakes. I am trying to lose weight so I am not eating a lot of calories. I have been taking weekends off mostly....only doing light exercises and I have a day off when it rains and I can't take my lunch walk, but a lot of times I walk and work out in the same day. I continue to push through the pain, but yikes it is taking forever.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    What are you doing at the gym? Are you lifting progressively heavier weights?

This is not normal for just walking, but if your gym routine is progressively more challenging, you may be feeling the burn from that...
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Take a week off or forget your power walking and do regular, low intensity walking in place of it if you don't want to stop moving.

Take some anti-inflammatory medicine and R.I.C.E.

When you get back to it build up at a reasonable pace.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, take some time off to recover and then build up more gradually.

What are you doing at the gym? How's your sleep?
  • oliversnh
    Options
    I end up on the treadmill a lot and at first I was attempting the Elliptical....but that nearly killed me so no more of that and also the stepper.....I know I killed my legs, but I slowed down (besides my lunch walk) and am lifting more and doing more yoga and pilates....trying to rest my legs as much as I can.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    What you describe sounds like what my boyfriend experiences when he tries to run or walk very fast (he was trying to do C25K). The doctor said basically to "slow down and listen to your body." I don't remember the name of the condition that was diagnosed, but I do remember it was important to NOT run or walk fast "through the pain" as it could cause permanent nerve damage.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    That definitely doesn't sound normal.

I would probably take at least a few days off (if not a week) to rest and recovery and (these things are torture) take a couple ice baths along with some ibuprofen for it's anti-inflammatory properties.

When you're feeling better get started again but this time build up a little more gradually. We're often victims of our own enthusiasm.......
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints. Like the others have said, rest and ice will help them heal quicker. Good walking shoes are essential as well as stretching before walking. It's good you're letting them heal. Be sure to work your way up in your power walks when you get back to the treadmill.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    what part of your legs are hurting? Is it the muscles themselves or joints or bones or what? The program itself doesn't sound that aggressive to me - a 2 mile walk/day and 2xweek gym shouldn't cause constant soreness. I wold try to figure out what the actual problem with your legs, maybe even see a doctor and then act accordingly.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Also, there's a difference between soreness and pain. Soreness is typically okay, it's a sign your muscles are in the process of adapting to your new activity. Pain isn't okay, and is typically a sign of injury.

Here's a decent explanation of the differences:

http://www.moveforwardpt.com/resources/detail/soreness-vs-pain-whats-difference
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    What you describe sounds like what my boyfriend experiences when he tries to run or walk very fast (he was trying to do C25K). The doctor said basically to "slow down and listen to your body." I don't remember the name of the condition that was diagnosed, but I do remember it was important to NOT run or walk fast "through the pain" as it could cause permanent nerve damage.

Sounds like chronic compartment syndrome, though I doubt that is OPs issue. Agree with more water, sleep, and protein. Could try a glutamine supplement as lots of people swear by it for reducing muscle soreness and it's pretty cheap. Other than that just listen to your body. If your legs hurt that bad then do something with just upper body or take a day completely off from exercise.
  • oliversnh
    Options
    It's my calves and my shins....they are on fire and feel really tight (almost like I have a rubber band around them). It's nothing that I have ever experienced. It's gets so bad when I do the walk, but I keep going. I am going to purchase calf sleeves and continue icing. I hate going to the dr.....she will just tell me to rest my legs.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You asked if this was normal and nearly every person here has said it is NOT normal. So, why wouldn't you want to follow your doctor's advice? Are you looking for unqualified internet strangers to tell you something different? :o
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The prior advice to take a week off and listen to your body still excellent. You can save your money by resting for a week, but if the ice, NSAID, and rest don't calm the pain in a week do go see a Dr.
  • oliversnh
    Options
    Yes...my plan is to rest for this week and I will massage and ice every day. If I am not feeling much better by next week I will make an appointment to see my dr. Thanks everyone :)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I would rest until the pain goes away. Also make sure you get fitted for shoes before starting up again on a slower course.

When I start, I will run every other day or so and roll out my calves before and after.

In the mean time, while resting, I might try some band work for the legs, glutes, core. This may help strength and balance.
  • DerangedPixi
    DerangedPixi Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    oliversnh wrote: »
    It's my calves and my shins....they are on fire and feel really tight (almost like I have a rubber band around them). It's nothing that I have ever experienced. It's gets so bad when I do the walk, but I keep going. I am going to purchase calf sleeves and continue icing. I hate going to the dr.....she will just tell me to rest my legs.

So ... she would tell you exactly what everyone else here is telling you. REST YOUR DAMN LEGS.