Workout Supplements (specifically C4, but also looking for suggestions)

Options
horrorfan
horrorfan Posts: 42 Member
edited May 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone!

Background: I'm 19 years old, and I have about 115 pounds to lose in order to be at a healthy body weight. I just started back counting my calories last week on Mother's Day. I worked out 3 days last week and didn't have too much trouble, mostly because I've been out of work for two weeks.

I am in college, but on summer break and just recently got a new job. The job is a split shift (7am-10am and 2pm-6:30pm) and requires me to be on my feet and active (sweeping, cleaning, lifting cage covers, dishes, feeding and letting dogs out, etc) for the 7-8 hours that I work. Given this, it's a lot harder for me to workout as my energy is low and the four hour break I have between shifts is for lunch and relaxation.

Anyways, someone suggested that I look at preworkout supplements to give me the energy to workout and she recommended C4. It's the official supplement of the WWE and as I'm an avid wrestling fan I decided to check it out!

Other info: I have mfp set for me to lose one pound per week and am allowed 2130 calories per day. My active setting as of now is lightly active. I'm trying to up my water intake and lower sugar and am focused on health over weight loss right now.

Questions: My actual question is, does anybody have experience with pre-workouts, specifically C4? Or any other brands? What've been your good and bad experiences? What brands do you recommend? What about post workouts? Any and all info is appreciated!

Replies

• SassyClassyandALittleBadAssy
    Options
    Check out Unico's products- I live by them! The Athena pre-workout is amazing!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    horrorfan wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Background: I'm 19 years old, and I have about 115 pounds to lose in order to be at a healthy body weight. I just started back counting my calories last week on Mother's Day. I worked out 3 days last week and didn't have too much trouble, mostly because I've been out of work for two weeks.

I am in college, but on summer break and just recently got a new job. The job is a split shift (7am-10am and 2pm-6:30pm) and requires me to be on my feet and active (sweeping, cleaning, lifting cage covers, dishes, feeding and letting dogs out, etc) for the 7-8 hours that I work. Given this, it's a lot harder for me to workout as my energy is low and the four hour break I have between shifts is for lunch and relaxation.

Anyways, someone suggested that I look at preworkout supplements to give me the energy to workout and she recommended C4. It's the official supplement of the WWE and as I'm an avid wrestling fan I decided to check it out!

Other info: I have mfp set for me to lose one pound per week and am allowed 2130 calories per day. My active setting as of now is lightly active. I'm trying to up my water intake and lower sugar and am focused on health over weight loss right now.

Questions: My actual question is, does anybody have experience with pre-workouts, specifically C4? Or any other brands? What've been your good and bad experiences? What brands do you recommend? What about post workouts? Any and all info is appreciated!

Here's my opinion. One: you don't need a preworkout supplement. Two: Considering you are obese i probably wouldn't recommend such a strong stimulant for fear of it causing you some chest pain, heart issues, blood pressure issues, etc.

You need more energy? Eat more foods high in micronutrients. Have some carbohydrates. Stay hydrated. Drink some green tea or coffee.

As far as C4 is concerned, it is VERY strong. I have anxiety and it gave me a full blown panic attack and subsequent urgent care visit because i thought i was having a freaking stroke. No. Seriously. Not to mention i bought an entire container i could only pawn off on a friend.

I'm pretty much against the diet and supplement industry convincing us that we need some nonsense all the time to get us up and going and reaching our goals. The truth is; preworkouts are unnecessary. I wouldn't buy one unless i had money to burn and wanted to end up in the ER again.

If i were you, i'd look for the underlying reason as to why you think you need one. If i needed some pep i'd take some coffee or tea. If i just STILL didn't have the energy i'd head to my doctor to see if i have some sort of thyroid problem, iron deficiency, etc.

• horrorfan
    horrorfan Posts: 42 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    demo_man wrote: »
    C4 is a good beginner pre workout. It will help you get through a productive work out.

Awesome! I'm wanting to burn most of my calories through working out.

Check out Unico's products- I live by them! The Athena pre-workout is amazing!

I'm searching it right now! What do you like about them?

rainbowbow wrote: »

Here's my opinion. One: you don't need a preworkout supplement. Two: Considering you are obese i probably wouldn't recommend such a strong stimulant for fear of it causing you some chest pain, heart issues, blood pressure issues, etc.

You need more energy? Eat more foods high in micronutrients. Have some carbohydrates. Stay hydrated. Drink some green tea or coffee.

As far as C4 is concerned, it is VERY strong. I have anxiety and it gave me a full blown panic attack and subsequent urgent care visit because i thought i was having a freaking stroke. No. Seriously. Not to mention i bought an entire container i could only pawn off on a friend.

I'm pretty much against the diet and supplement industry convincing us that we need some nonsense all the time to get us up and going and reaching our goals. The truth is; preworkouts are unnecessary. I wouldn't buy one unless i had money to burn and wanted to end up in the ER again.

If i were you, i'd look for the underlying reason as to why you think you need one. If i needed some pep i'd take some coffee or tea. If i just STILL didn't have the energy i'd head to my doctor to see if i have some sort of thyroid problem, iron deficiency, etc.

I am on 5,000 UI of Vitamin D and on Iron. I do have a deficiency. I've been taking the supplements for months and I have a lot more energy, but the fact of the matter is I am extremely overweight and just got a very physical job. This in itself tires me out when I go from working 4 hours a day in retail to 8 in a physical environment. Do I need preworkout? Probably not. But I know myself and if I'm tired I won't workout. I'm trying to change it.

I really appreciate your advice, though, and I'm sorry that C4 had such a bad effect on you :( thank you for taking the time to reply!!

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

I am on 5,000 UI of Vitamin D and on Iron. I do have a deficiency. I've been taking the supplements for months and I have a lot more energy, but the fact of the matter is I am extremely overweight and just got a very physical job. This in itself tires me out when I go from working 4 hours a day in retail to 8 in a physical environment. Do I need preworkout? Probably not. But I know myself and if I'm tired I won't workout. I'm trying to change it.

I really appreciate your advice, though, and thank you for taking the time to reply!!

You're welcome. If i can just add... if you are insistent on taking a preworkout please only take 1/2 the dosage to start. Work your way up. You may be fine, but i know in myself and others that experiencing: cold sweats, shaking, rapid heart rate, dry mouth, hyperventilating, etc. are not out of the realm of possibilities.

So start low, work your way up, and give it time to kick in! Wait 30 minutes or more before taking more.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I like ENGN EVL. The green apple and blue raspberry. There is no niacin tingle (which I hate) and they don't make me feel jittery, but give good sustainable energy. That being said, I only take them when I am completely wiped out. I do not take them every workout. I also can't take them after about 4 p.m., because I won't be able to sleep.

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    1) Labrada stim free pre-workout. It does not taste good, but does work. (if you try this, grape is the only flavor my husband can stand to swallow. I don't love any of them so we use grape)

2) sounds like your job is more than lightly active. You may need to move up to active calories.

3) way to go deciding to get yourself into good habits young!!! I have a 19 year old. I think this is great.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    And I agree with starting with a half-serving, until you see how it's going to affect you.
  • pinksarah7
    pinksarah7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    C4 is a pretty good preworkout. Right now I'm taking Adrenolyn. It's by far my favorite preworkout I've ever taken. It's quite potent. Definitely agree you should start at 1/2 of recommend amount. That's all I take & it works great for me.
  • pinksarah7
    pinksarah7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are near a gnc or nutrition store they will sometimes give you samples so maybe you could do that first before making a purchase
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Most pre workouts are just creatine, beta alanine (this may give you a pins and needles feeling in your skin) and caffeine plus flavoring.

I've used c4, mr Hyde, assault and a couple others. They are all more
    Or less the same. Some say they are a placebo, but if you think it helps, it can help you get in the right frame of mind.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options

Or less the same. Some say they are a placebo, but if you think it helps, it can help you get in the right frame of mind.
    Funny thing about placebos: if they work consistently, who cares? It achieved the desired result. My wife uses a pre-workout powder. She says it works for her. I've used one and had no noticeable difference. I probably get the same effect she feels just by taking a B12 supplement every morning. Each to their own.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Lord007 wrote: »

Funny thing about placebos: if they work consistently, who cares? It achieved the desired result. My wife uses a pre-workout powder. She says it works for her. I've used one and had no noticeable difference. I probably get the same effect she feels just by taking a B12 supplement every morning. Each to their own.

I agree with you, unless it's a matter of you thinking you are better, but actually dying.

But for this purpose, whatever keeps you in the gym.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    There is another thread from a week or so ago about this, and like everything else, you'll get many different opinions.

First and foremost I would focus on making sure your nutrition is in line. Make sure you're getting enough complex carbohydrates (this will help with energy), protein (will help your muscles heal and recover after a workout), and yes, even fats.

What I am wondering (not knowing you at all, so bear with me) is if you're trying to make too many changes at once, and perhaps looking for some shortcuts since you have to lose so much. You're young, and it's hard to look at the long haul, but I encourage you to do so. I think as you make dietary changes you'll find you have more energy than you're used to, and you may find you don't need a pre-workout to get yourself going.

As you start losing and getting more fit, your workouts will probably get tougher, and that might be a good time to re-examine the question.

That said, I personally do use preworkouts (and I've used C4 in the past). I can see both sides of the fence here. After using them for 4 or 5 years, I honestly can't say if they improve my performance. But I love the ritual, and it gets my mind into the right mode to workout.

I'm a bit of a Pavlovian dog: the taste of fruit punch, tang, orange creamsicle, etc, makes me want to go out and kill it.

Ultimately you'll have to find out for yourself. All the anecdotal evidence you'll get here probably won't help you reach a verdict. Good luck!
  • morihay
    morihay Posts: 50 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My favorite was a cheaper pre work out from Walmart don't mind c4 but assault looks like sewer water and literally almost made me poop my pants I do think they help me get up and get going love it
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    horrorfan wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

This is why we are friends.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sxymom99
    sxymom99 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love hydroxycut sx7 pills! Get them off eBay for $20. Red bottle SILVER lid. Not gold. I have 5 kids and am doing p90x3 doubles. So I am always tired! These are the only thing that works! I just started using hydroxycut sx7 shatter pre workout too. It's pretty good. Neither one has a ton of caffeine to cause heart issues, or jitters, but they boost energy and mood big time! Don't get them at gnc unless you want to pay $60 or more. Amazon and ebay are much cheaper! Good luck!