Downward Spiral

Options
Grrr!!!
I'm getting horrible cravings and for the past three days i've been stuffing my face! when i get really hungry I try to just drink a big class of water and hope it passes, but it doesn't! and the worst part, i'm not hungry at all. i've been eating the right amount of calories and protein making sure i feel full but not stuffed.
then an hour or so after dinner my body is aching for some horrible food. does anyone else get really bad cravings like this? is there a special way to get rid of it? something i may not be trying?

hope everyone is doing well and have a great weekend!!!:smooched:

Replies

• avr1321
    avr1321 Posts: 96
    Options
    Grrr!!!
    I'm getting horrible cravings and for the past three days i've been stuffing my face! when i get really hungry I try to just drink a big class of water and hope it passes, but it doesn't! and the worst part, i'm not hungry at all. i've been eating the right amount of calories and protein making sure i feel full but not stuffed.
    then an hour or so after dinner my body is aching for some horrible food. does anyone else get really bad cravings like this? is there a special way to get rid of it? something i may not be trying?

hope everyone is doing well and have a great weekend!!!:smooched:
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    I drink a glass of water and then chew a piece of gum. Oh, and I usually have a small (1/2 ounce) amount of chocolate as dessert so I don't feel like I'm depriving myself (I used to have a full dessert every night).
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    If I can, I brush my teeth when a craving hits me. Something about a clean mouth helps get rid of a craving. (gum helps too!) :wink:

Cravings stink(!), but will eventually pass!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Camay
    Camay Posts: 5
    Options
    I noticed a lot of views on this topic but no responses... I'll admit it.

:grumble: Yes I do. I get the most horrible cravings ever & it's rare that I DON'T give in.

Who doesn't? I think it's safe to say, EVERYONE does. Especially when we're trying not to.
    I'm a firm believer in no deprivation. If we totally deprive ourselves of the naughty stuff, then we're more than likely to binge BIG TIME.
    So, the hard part is not allowing yourself to have a little something here or there, it's the LITTLE part of it that is difficult. But it's just something that we need to "train" ourselves. Go ahead, have a little chocolate, have a piece of cake, have a little ice cream... just be very cautious on the amount. And, of course, try not to sneak some in every day. Save it for a special treat.
    By allowing yourself to have a small amount of our vices, we're less likely to stuff ourselves silly and feel so horrible later.

:bigsmile: good luck
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    water gum and EXERCISE!!! Run ten miles if you have to it will kill the craving
  • cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    One thing I noticed is if I have a craving and I try to work around it, I usually end up eating more than if I just ate what I wanted...like today I really wanted a cookie, or something like it. I don't keep anything like that in the house so I ended up eating a bag of popcorn, my son's goldfish crackers and a bowl of honey nut chex...I really would have been happy with one cookie, maybe a brownie. :grumble:
  • wizabugga
    wizabugga Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a small glass of chocolate milk....just one serving (1 cup of milk) or even half of that. The milk helps you to feel full and the chocolate is just enough to kick the sweet craving......my favorite is Ovaltine. If you still have a hankering for something try chewing some gum. :flowerforyou:

123574.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kalla
    kalla Posts: 11
    Options
    I try to first figure out exactly what it is I'm craving. If I crave pasta, I actually crave carbs, if I crave pizza, it's probably fat and salt, if it's cookies or chocolate, it's sugar and if it's something random like oat meal or rice, it's probably just energy.

This way I'll be able to sort of lower the damages so to speak, by making healthier choises. For me, it's better if I curb my carb cravings with whole wheat, fiber rich products accompanied with protein, so that I can get the full nutrients and also a fuller feeling. For fat cravings I eat almonds or hazel nuts (mildly salted or spiced if I feel like I need more salt) and for sugar cravings I try to mix myself something like a berry smoothie (frozen berries in a blender with either water or low fat milk and a dash of soft honey for extra sweetness.)

For me, it's all about listening to my body and actually hearing what it really needs. I believe cravings are just signs that something is missing from my body that it really needs, and at that point I say screw the calories, eat something healthy and then possibly exercise a little extra to make up for it.
  • teresamc
    Options
    I take the dog for a walk, it distracts me and by the time I get back the craving usually passes.
  • megan0313
    megan0313 Posts: 394
    Options
    I also get really bad cravings in the evening, but I have noticed a pattern...they are MUCH worse if I've had a high carb meal (even if it's healthy carbs). Pasta or bread are the worst! I always crave sugary foods after that. So I try to have my carbs early in the day, usually some oatmeal, then I for dinner I have lean proteins and veggies. It's definitely helped my nighttime cravings!
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    I get horrible cravings like this too, and as usual, they are at moments when my emotions are not good. So yes, I have an emotional eating problem that I am working to overcome. It sounds like that is most likely your problem too, conciously or not, seeing as you are eating when your not hungry and you keep on eating. Drink water, chew gum, brush your teeth, whatever works, but most importantly TALK TO YOURSELF :wink: Ask yourself why you want this food, what is going on to make you want it, and if you really NEED it. If that doesn't work, find ways to substitue the really bad cravings. Chocolate? Hershey's Stick Extra Dark (only 60 calories and very rich). Chips? Baked Lays. Etc, etc, etc
    I hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Jumping jacks, jumping jacks, jumping jacks.... I've been trying to jump away my cravings! My over eating is definately linked to emotion - so when emotion/boredom strikes my best revenge has turned out to be jumping around my living room or back yard like a crazy woman until I am so out of breath I couldn't eat if I wanted to! So far, I've overcome about 90% of those cravings with this tactic...

Be strong! You can overcome this obstacle!:heart:
  • avr1321
    avr1321 Posts: 96
    Options
    Thanks everyone soooo much! All the tips are super helpful!
    :happy:
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Someone said this already, but it bears repeating- -gum gum gum gum gum. I keep 3-5 flavors on hand & stashed in diff places (car, desk, gym bag, purse, kitchen etc) and just chew away!
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    I get horrible cravings like this too, and as usual, they are at moments when my emotions are not good. So yes, I have an emotional eating problem that I am working to overcome. It sounds like that is most likely your problem too, conciously or not, seeing as you are eating when your not hungry and you keep on eating. Drink water, chew gum, brush your teeth, whatever works, but most importantly TALK TO YOURSELF :wink: Ask yourself why you want this food, what is going on to make you want it, and if you really NEED it. If that doesn't work, find ways to substitue the really bad cravings. Chocolate? Hershey's Stick Extra Dark (only 60 calories and very rich). Chips? Baked Lays. Etc, etc, etc
    I hope this helps :flowerforyou:

yes yes yes:wink: