Pregnant - 1st trimester and having trouble working out

Options
Hi!

I am 7 1/2 weeks pregnant, and so exhausted that I have been to the gym three times only since Learning I am pregnant.

I used to work out 5-6 times a week, and I love sports, Cycling, hiking, yoga, etc.

But now, once I get home, I am so tired that all I want to do is put my comfy pants on and sleep.. And this nausea does not help. I have gained weight which is normal, since all I do is walk to work, and use all the stairs (out of breath by the time I go up), but thats pretty much it.

I have not been eating more, I still stick to what my nutrionist gave me (seeing her tomorrow)..

Anyone who is pregnant in the same boat.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Then stop exercising. I have been very active before and after pregnancies. I was not allowed to do anything but relaxed walks and relaxed swimming when pregnant, and with one baby, not even this. I did not gain that much weight, by paying attention to what I was eating. If you cannot exercise, listen to your body. And do not eat as you would when exercising several hours per week.
    During pregnancy, you cannot rely on exercise to burn a ton of calories, and you should nto starve yourself. However, it is very easy to gain a lot of weight, which is not good for you or the baby. So focus on your diet and try eating around maintenance for now.
  • amphilion
    amphilion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That what I have been doing. Going for walks in the evening, and walking and using the stairs at work. I am nausous, so I have not been eating that much. Drinking alot of water also, which helps.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Is this your first?
  • amphilion
    Options
    Yes it is.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Fatigue is a biggie in the first trimester, it will soon pass. Rest when you can, trust me are going to need it when the baby arrives.
  • amphilion
    Options
    I know. I see my sister with her two girls, and help her out when I can. She has not had a full night since having her first born 4 years ago..loll

Thanks
  • amphilion
    Options
    I know. I see my sister with her two girls, and help her out when I can. She has not had a full night since having her first born 4 years ago..loll

Thanks
  • amphilion
    Options

Thanks
  • clairelouisekaa
    clairelouisekaa Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    As a mum of three listen to your body - if you are exhausted then rest of you are hungry eat! !! You may get a flush of energy soon - go with the exercise then xx
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Not currently pregnant, but yeah, I've been there. :) The first trimester can be rough, but the second usually brings a lot of energy. I would suggest staying as active as you can, and not worrying about whether it's a "real" workout. If walking or yoga is all you feel up to doing, then stick with that. And if all you want to do is sleep, then sleep. Growing a human takes work. Congratulations!
  • amphilion
    Options
    Thanks to you all. This really helps!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    This sounds pretty typical for the first trimester. The fatigue can be crushing and like you can barely drag yourself out of bed. Your body is working overtime, so rest. Stay active when you feel up to it - walking, yoga etc. The second trimester usually brings a bit more energy with it. :)