Running with your Dog?

Replies

• adremark
    adremark Posts: 774 Member
    I run with my Cur (a hunting dog found in the south of the US). That boy can run-- I got 7-10km with him, and it doesn't phase him at all. He pulls for the first 1/2 mile, and smells things. Then he realizes "Oh, it's a running day!" and then just runs with me-- nothing distracts him!
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    I have a waist strap so I can run hands free. Ella is a trained support dog, so she runs carrying my medical gear (I'm Diabetic)
  • Rabid_Hamster
    Rabid_Hamster Posts: 338 Member
    I have a black lab mix. I was running 1.5-2 miles with her in the morning. She's older now (14) and has some arthritis in her back legs. I'll still occasionally take her for a run 0.5 miles or so and she happily trots along. Prior to running, she had anxiety around diesel engines. Our 2 mile route took us past the Greyhound bus station downtown. She always picked up speed going past that BUT she worked off that extra energy and the anxiety is gone now. Love her to death, but I wish she was younger so I could take her on some of my longer distances.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    I just started running with my mutt (shepard/lab/ridgeback) now that I have slowed to do heart rate training. She is a 13 min/mile dog and couldn't go my old 9min/mile speed for more than a mile. Now she can hang for a full 45 minutes. That said she has a super high prey drive and can easily cause me injury if I am not prepared for her to take a sudden right turn into the bushes for some hidden bunny.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    cmDaffy wrote: »
    I have a waist strap so I can run hands free. Ella is a trained support dog, so she runs carrying my medical gear (I'm Diabetic)

I was going to suggest this. The one I have had a spot for a water bottle, and a pouch that can hold dog bags or your phone.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    adremark wrote: »
    I run with my Cur (a hunting dog found in the south of the US). That boy can run-- I got 7-10km with him, and it doesn't phase him at all. He pulls for the first 1/2 mile, and smells things. Then he realizes "Oh, it's a running day!" and then just runs with me-- nothing distracts him!

Lol - I've done 22 miles with my dog and it doesn't phase him. He loves it!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    maroro123 wrote: »
    Hello everyone - I love running and my 2-year old pit mix loves coming with me! He's still working on his running with momma etiquette, but he gets better everyday so we'd like to keep it up.I alwasy seem to run a little faster when I have him with :smiley:
    I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of gear to use while running with my pooch.
    Right now we use his easy-walk harness (he's a big puller without it) and his 6 ft regular leash.

I have cats, so I can't contribute but I wanted to say your dog look so cute in your profile pic!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    I've had 3 lovely pits, but I have to ask why you use a harness? I always found that it gave them the most pulling power (using those big buff chests)!

I've had good experience with the gentle leader and a standard leash.
  • NobbySock
    NobbySock Posts: 2 Member
    My dog is only little and can run forever... unfortunately just not with me! She gets under my feet and stops to wee every other minute!

I have on the other hand turned round on a couple of runs to see one of my cats chasing me down the road... a hilarious sight for the neighbours, I'm sure :')
  • maroro123
    maroro123 Posts: 14 Member
    ASKyle wrote: »
    I've had 3 lovely pits, but I have to ask why you use a harness? I always found that it gave them the most pulling power (using those big buff chests)!

I use a special harness called an easy-walk harness. The clip is in front on their chest rather than on their back. It was actually at his dog obedience class that I learned about it. The first day we had him in his regular harness and the lady in charge of the class said that the harnesses with the clip on the back is not good for strong dogs because they actually encourage pulling. With the clip in front on the chest, when they pull it turns them around to you. He's a completely different dog when we use the easy walk vs a regular harness (or just a leash and collar). But yes -- he has a lot of pulling power!!
  • maroro123
    maroro123 Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2016
    maroro123 wrote: »
    but I wanted to say your dog look so cute in your profile pic!

he knows it too ... spoiled rotten!!

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I run with my lab/shepherd mutt.
    A leash and collar is good enough for us.

Oh, I do recommend pepper spray for any other dogs though. Last thing you want is a loose dog attacking yours.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    ASKyle wrote: »

I've had good experience with the gentle leader and a standard leash.

With my mutt the regular harness has been a godsend. She doesn't like anything tugging on her chest so when she gets too far out she slows down to avoid it pulling.
  • creativecritters77
    creativecritters77 Posts: 19 Member
    I have 2 dogs, a German Shepherd/ Rottweiler mix who just turned 1 this week and a 7 year old Australian Cattle Dog/ German Shorthair Pointer mix. It took a lot of training to be able to run with the Ziggi, the pointer mix mainly because he thinks he runs the show and didn't want to follow my lead (if I let him have free rein he'd be dragging me across half the county!). I created a slip harness for him using a long rope and a heavy duty clip. I clip it to his collar, run the rope under and behind his front legs, then run the rope through the clip. It took some trial and error to get this homemade leash just right, but now it's perfect. If he pulls too hard the leash tightens up under his front legs, which he finds really annoying, so he eases off and the rope loosens. Dewey Dude, the Shepherd mix is a dream to run with, but I started training him as a puppy. I just have a regular harness and leash for him and he rarely pulls. He's also very intelligent and eager to please, so training in general has gone pretty smoothly with The Dude ;) A lot of it is simply repetition. I walk or run with the dogs every day, so they've come to know what to expect from me, and what I expect from them. And of course lots of praise when they do something right always helps.
    I had a pit for a while (my sweet little girl Moose :smile: ) and she was actually really good when it came to running or walking on a leash. I also started training her young and she was another very intelligent dog.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    That gear should be fine. My dog is a hunting breed and thus terrible as a running partner. She needs to investigate every scent and our walk speed averages out to 2.5mph. I didn't get her to run with though and she is a very good retriever and companion for my kid who loves to swim.

I'm baffled as to why you think a hunting dog would be a terrible running partner. I have a yellow lab who is a fantastic running partner. He runs at a perfect heel, isn't distracted by other runners, bikers, dogs or squirrels. He such an obedient dog that most of the time I run him off leash. When I do use a leash it's a lightweight 4' leash. Anything longer would drag on the ground.

While certain breeds aren't good for running, hunting dogs should be great *if* well trained, same as any other breed.

• 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    I've run / jogged over the years (~18) with 2 different dogs. The first key is a well trained dog. My dogs once trained never ever get ahead or behind. The leach is loose and there is no tension. I can run with normal form and almost forget they are there. When in the country after training, I usually just would put the lease in my pocket. They just stay in the same spot as if the lease was there.

You are in charge you train the dog as needed with choke chain etc, it is not acceptable for them to pull or fall behind unless there is a real issue.

Now from the dog's perspective, they generally love running, but you have to consider their needs. e.g. long runs, if you need water, they need water. Have them hydrated before and after runs just like you should be doing. There are going to be times, where the dog does have to stop and if trained properly this is for good reason, bathroom, not feeling well, injury, etc. Also for training, dog's get in and out of shape like you and can have overuse injuries just like you. So ramp up the running at a pace like you would ramp up your pace.

One more warning, think of the dog's interest as well, don't start running with them then magically quit and leave them high and dry.

Okay two more warnings, remember the conditions heat, cold, rain, snow and ice. Most dogs are really well equipped to handle everything, but one of my dog's had to take summers off or easy because of the Texas heat.

Enjoy, this can be quit rewarding for you and them.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i've run with my collie mix. She does pretty well.
    i stopped because she doesn't seem to enjoy it as much as she originally did.
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I run with my lab/shepherd mutt.
    A leash and collar is good enough for us.

Oh, I do recommend pepper spray for any other dogs though. Last thing you want is a loose dog attacking yours.

THIS! Chassis and I were out yesterday and a huge freaking dog came out the gate acting vicious toward us. Seriously, made my boxer look like a teacup poodle. Scared the *kitten* outta me. Of course, Chassis acting like the drunk girl at the bar didn't help. She was holding her own being vicious right back. Luckily it was only for a few seconds and the owner got her dog but it had the potential to escalate beyond what I could control. Now I think I'm going to clip my pepper spray to my dog poop bags when I go out.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    That gear should be fine. My dog is a hunting breed and thus terrible as a running partner. She needs to investigate every scent and our walk speed averages out to 2.5mph. I didn't get her to run with though and she is a very good retriever and companion for my kid who loves to swim.

I'm baffled as to why you think a hunting dog would be a terrible running partner. I have a yellow lab who is a fantastic running partner. He runs at a perfect heel, isn't distracted by other runners, bikers, dogs or squirrels. He such an obedient dog that most of the time I run him off leash. When I do use a leash it's a lightweight 4' leash. Anything longer would drag on the ground.

While certain breeds aren't good for running, hunting dogs should be great *if* well trained, same as any other breed.

I'd be willing to bet she has a hound rather than a lab. Labs are just all around awesome, haha. I have 2 hounds. One foxhound (50 pounds), one little dachshund. And let me tell you, it is TOUGH getting them to remove their noses from the ground. To the point where it almost seems inhumane (lol, I kid). Both of mine are trained to some extent. The foxhound more than the irritating (but cute) dachshund. When we are out, but on-leash, they know that we are here to walk, we are not going to stop and sniff every damn mailbox. I don't even let them stop to pee, they have plenty of yard time to do that. However, even though we keep moving, those noses pretty much never leave the ground. They are the ADD patients of the dog world!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    what is the waist leash with the storage? i run with my shepard/ rottweiler mix. we're doing couch to 5k together, his favorite parts are the walking breaks to pee on things. my favorite parts are the walking parts but for different reasons. he's great though! as soon as i hear the chime on the phone and ask him if he's ready he sets off, definitely keeps my pace up and prevents me from getting as bored.