Pre-workout shake

Options
Hi you guys!
I'd like to know your opinion on pre-workout shakes that helps you stay focused and energized during your workout.
I mean, i take some and i love it. I work out like a beast when taken! But i'd like to know also the cons.
How about you guys? Do u take some? If so or if not, why?
Thanks!

Replies

• MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Personally, its a waste of money. Focus on food throughout your day and you will have that energy. If your looking for an additional kick, drink a cup of coffee. That is what I do. I have taken a ton of pre-workouts over the past 6 years, and never seen any advantage with them. I get the same focus and energy with a simple cup of coffee, because most pre-workouts are loaded with caffeine. If you want to want a pre-workout for that "pump" feeling, look for something with at least 6 grams of Citrulline Malate-AML has a solid pre-workout that has that in it, along with BCAAs and caffeine. Hope this helps.
  • MIssyChay
    MIssyChay Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks for the tip! Will def try coffee instead. I was scared of the long term effect if i took those on a long period of time. Now i'll know that i have another option! ;)
  • andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    i have a lot of buddies who say pre-workouts are a waste and gimmick and they usually do just peanut butter and some like gummie worms, but for me, the reason I take the pre is because it puts me in sort of a focus zone that I could not achieve otherwise due to being heavily ADHD, and also, with the pre workout, it gives me a much more pump then I would normally due to lacking in vascularity. I do workout without pre though sometimes to get my body acclimated to the weights etc on "clean" mind to see where I am at and if the max weight / rep is different with the pre.

all in all I would say it's all up to you and what you think works best with your body. I tried taking straight coffee before a workout but it just gave me the runs and not a good workout at all.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I drink a carb control shake for snacks the only thing I drink before working out is the univera Nutrtional suppliments Govera, extra concentrate, aloe select and Regenicare all mixed with water. The Govera and the extra give me energy the regnicare helps with inflimation and the Aloe select helps with digestion and the extra also helps with calirety and focus they are all natural and plant based and are low carb.
  • jodidari
    jodidari Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I actually alternate between green tea and coffee. If you try this then drink atleast 30 minutes before the workout. Black coffee is most effective but i love my milk and sugar....and sometimes ice. Also if you're worried about coffee addiction then green tea is an excellent option and Lipton has a great variety of flavors, i personally love the one with passion fruit because of the smell.
  • jodidari
    jodidari Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Oh...I wouldn't do it but I have a friend that swallows two tablespoons of sugar before her workouts or drink a sugar-water solution and she's had great weight loss
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The "pro" is if you like it and it works for you.
    The "con" is if you don't like that way it works for you.

For me, I do my 30 minutes of cardio on an empty stomach and then have my protein shake before I do my few minutes of so-called strength training. That works for me and I like it.
  • georgebonev862
    georgebonev862 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    MIssyChay wrote: »
    Hi you guys!
    I'd like to know your opinion on pre-workout shakes that helps you stay focused and energized during your workout.
    I mean, i take some and i love it. I work out like a beast when taken! But i'd like to know also the cons.
    How about you guys? Do u take some? If so or if not, why?
    Thanks!

Hi,i used alot pre workouts soo far,yes i felt energise but since 1year i stop them,now im using only Amino Energy on Optimum Nutrition its basicly aminos but there is natural extract of coffee beans and green tea soo give me very nice boost and i dont drop energy,my girlfriend use it too,check it out its really helpfull :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    To stay focused on your workout...................you focus on it. Turn off your phone and get your work done. To stay energized.................eat correctly.
    Most pre workouts are fads for gym people (everyone else is doing it, so I guess I should too), but some do need it if their nutrition isn't the best and they lack energy to complete their workouts.
    For me, I dropped them back in 2000 and haven't looked back since.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MIssyChay
    MIssyChay Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! All of this is very helpful. I will look into each one of your recommandation. Will see what works best for me! X